Why become a member? ×

Fake Festivals

JellyKnees

I did one the other year , classic rock, filling in for a friends band their bassist was away.

Think there where 12 bands over the day, a good few thousand and a nice real ale beer tent, a good non cynical atmosphere, and money for charity. Great fun really.

I understand why people don't like covers/tributes etc, but why start a thread knocking events like this?

I play in a Chili Peppers tribute and do this type of gig/festival and they're great fun! People out for a good time, few beers and a singalong while the bands are giving it six nowt! Everyone has a great time. If it's not your bag, that's ok too, you don't have to go mate. However I get to play Flea for an hour and a bit, jumping round like a looney and people jump about, singing etc... All good harmless fun! Obviously just my opinion like...

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1453026498' post='2955570']

That's fine Bilbo, as long as you understand that lots of people don't give a rats arse for your opinion, respected forum moderator or not. Haters gonna hate. Fcuk 'em and feed 'em rice.
[/quote]

Absolutely 😃

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1452953444' post='2955013']
Could it be that (dons flat cap) music were better int' old days? and modern music is just sh*te?

Compare Nicki Minaj to Hazel O'Connor.
One Direction to Led Zeppelin.
Any one of a thousand and one identical 'trance djs' to Pink Floyd.

Could this be why a modern music festival wont get punters, yet a tribute festival might?

Discuss.
[/quote]

f***ing Hell, is Hazel O'Connor the best you could come up with? :D

Where do you get the idea that modern festivals don't get punters? There are more festivals with more people going to them than ever.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1453053186' post='2955986']
f***ing Hell, is Hazel O'Connor the best you could come up with? :D

Where do you get the idea that modern festivals don't get punters? There are more festivals with more people going to them than ever.
[/quote]

I didn't, someone up there mentioned it ^^^.

Was going to say Kate Bush but thought thatd be churlish :)

Edited by sprocketflup

The stage for tributes is from smaller clubs upwards..ie, that can pay £1k upwards IMO.
Tributes don't work in pubs, IMO.

Even a Oasis tribute are scratching around for more than a 50 min set unless you are really into them.

For an audience they are marmite..

I can see a festival working well for them.... and since the originals...if they are worth going to see..
are taking the mick with their ticket prices and the fact that you're likely to be watching them on a screen anyway.

[quote name='steantval' timestamp='1453040920' post='2955827']
There appears to be a musical snobbery that the covers players are deemed to be inferior musicians to the ones playing in original bands, I think this attitude stinks.
[/quote]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Straw man argument - I didn't say that at all, I'm just questioning the whole validity of the tribute thing. Personally, I'd rather watch 10 original bands, of which only 1 or 2 might be any good, rather than 10 tribute acts who play impeccable versions of whatever band’s songs. I guess it all depends why you go to gigs. If you want to see something safe and predictable you can sing along to whilst basking in the warm nostalgic glow of your youth, go suck those tribute acts up. I just happen to think it’s boring and pointless. I really don’t care how much money they make or how much the x factor loving masses enjoy them or how fantastic the musicians who play in them are. [/font]

Edited by JellyKnees

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1453068087' post='2956167']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Straw man argument - I didn't say that at all, I'm just questioning the whole validity of the tribute thing. Personally, I'd rather watch 10 original bands, of which only 1 or 2 might be any good, rather than 10 tribute acts who play impeccable versions of whatever band’s songs. I guess it all depends why you go to gigs. If you want see something safe and predictable you can sing along to whilst basking in the warm nostalgic glow of your youth, go suck those tribute acts up. I just happen to think it’s boring and pointless. I really don’t care how much money they make or how much the x factor loving masses enjoy them or how fantastic the musicians who play in them are. [/font]
[/quote]

Ah, but you are not just questioning the validity of the tribute thing, are you? You are a literate enough chap and you know that you are being condescending in a way that is designed to provoke

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1453068087' post='2956167']
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Straw man argument - I didn't say that at all, I'm just questioning the whole validity of the tribute thing. Personally, I'd rather watch 10 original bands, of which only 1 or 2 might be any good, rather than 10 tribute acts who play impeccable versions of whatever band’s songs. I guess it all depends why you go to gigs. If you want see something [b]safe and predictable you can sing along to whilst basking in the warm nostalgic glow of your youth,[/b] go suck those tribute acts up. I just happen to think it’s boring and pointless. I really don’t care how much money they make or how much the x factor loving masses enjoy them or how fantastic the musicians who play in them are. [/font]
[/quote]

:rolleyes: that's freaking hilarious

[quote name='colgraff' timestamp='1453069116' post='2956174']
Ah, but you are not just questioning the validity of the tribute thing, are you? You are a literate enough chap and you know that you are being condescending in a way that is designed to provoke
[/quote]

I'm being a little provocative perhaps. What's wrong with that?

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1453068087' post='2956167']...[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] tribute acts who play impeccable versions...[/font]
[/quote]

Any views on original bands playing impeccable versions of their [i]own [/i]stuff (Eagles spring to mind; other acts are available...)..? Just curious; no malice intended.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1453112020' post='2956343']

Sam? He's an old mate of mine, easily one of the best drummers I've ever seen, let alone played with
[/quote]
Nah, the guy I'm taking about is Ric White (out of Wakefield). I'm afraid that you must be the thinking of some other Foo Fighters tribute - gawd knows there are plenty around...!

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1453104125' post='2956277']
The original version of this thread was loads better.
[/quote]
Nah, the posts were older and not up to their original standard, seemed to be just going through the motions. At least this thread is younger and the posts seem to mean it more.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1453076194' post='2956238']
Any views on original bands playing impeccable versions of their [i]own [/i]stuff (Eagles spring to mind; other acts are available...)..? Just curious; no malice intended.
[/quote]

I hate the f***in’ Eagles man…

I think impeccably played live music can be fantastic, as long as it retains some energy and verve, otherwise it can be a little dull. I personally prefer it when live bands play around a little with their songs (or at least some of them), rather than simply regurgitating the recorded versions note for note.