Why become a member? ×

Everybody Dance - Chic

JamesBass

I always did this with fingers but some might do this with the thumb.

Double thumb would be cool ( even easier..?)... but really it is the endurance so I'd mention that at the time...
if it is an issue...that you'll get that element sorted later...

Any rear pickup sound would be my thinking but on the track..I can't recall that as being
a requirement.

Another reason why Chic back catalogue is required study :lol:

My mate has spent years studying this bassline, he came round and showed me a load of videos of different people playing it but I think it was this one he picked out as having the right sound because of the technique he uses....don't ask me whether it is right or not I couldn't play this bassline if there were 3 or me!
https://youtu.be/o53LqAWUKBA

Good Luck Bernard edwards was the king,i also think endurance is the thing and his must have been incredible. The chucking things been known a while i thought he used his thumb as the pick though...I have tried numerous times and failed with the result looking like jackson pollock had got creative with blood. Imagine meeting the guy,jammy bugger.

Edited by YouMa

Also check out the glorious eight minute extended 12" mix which is on one of the "Best Of" albums. Has lots of sections with just bass and drums or with the bass accentuated in the mix which really let you hear what Bernard was doing and what a genius he was. Could be useful for nailing/practicing the parts...

http://youtu.be/WgxFlvdYUnM

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1452718120' post='2952909']
Also check out the glorious eight minute extended 12" mix which is on one of the "Best Of" albums. Has lots of sections with just bass and drums or with the bass accentuated in the mix which really let you hear what Bernard was doing and what a genius he was. Could be useful for nailing/practicing the parts...

[media]http://youtu.be/WgxFlvdYUnM[/media]
[/quote]

4:12.....how did they let that one through? That's the kind of timing mistake I would make...remarkable that he didn't overdub it.

Having seen Chic up close several times in the last few years, bear in mind that Jerry Barnes plays a much simpler and less busy take on Bernard's original. It's still funky as f**k which leads me to believe that feel and groove are everything on this song, not religiously aping every note. It probably helps the live sound too, less going on makes it all sound cleaner out front.

[quote name='Twigman' timestamp='1452719157' post='2952921']

4:12.....how did they let that one through? That's the kind of timing mistake I would make...remarkable that he didn't overdub it.
[/quote]

I was just about to mention that hiccup.

But, when you're prone to greatness maybe it doesn't matter.

It's a tough line - be thankful that intro riff isn't the main bit.

Used to do this, not done it in a while. Tried it with a pick at first to get consistent tone but it was a cheat that didn't work - got there soon enough.

My band does 4 Chic tunes and others that feature Bernard Edwards lines. His style has great timing which adds to the funkiness and of course his note choice was superb. Still discovering little nuances in his playing after listening to the tracks for years. Not complicated but unique feel which in a way makes it complicated. Also our drummer plays too fast and despite being threatened gets too excited on the gig and the track loses some of the feel. So don't play too fast, try to pick up the nuances in the timing/playing and threaten the drummer.

Good luck with the audition

[/quote]

I have never seen that as an error - rather as an over - exuberant fill. On the single it appears in the fade out - very similar to Nate Watts ever more extreme high register slides at the end of I Wish.

I learned it as part of the bass part in 1978 - I learned it and always played it finger style - this along with Happy Man and Dance Dance Dance are songs where I think he uses that 'chucking' style with his thumb - although I never realised until more recently.

I wonder if those drummers who struggle with the timing are obsessing over the high hat close sound/timing - it sounds reversed to me (just one of many clever Chic techniques - check out the reversed hand claps on Le Freak). More like they're chasing the bass pattern - forgetting funk and soul rely on steady drum timing, amongst other elements.

I hope the audition goes well.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='TrevorR' timestamp='1452718120' post='2952909']
hear what Bernard was doing and what a genius he was.

[/quote]

A big part of that genius for me, having heard the isolated/playalong version is in his composing of the part - it just sounds so odd on its own, not a natural choice of notes/lines, but once it is in the mix, wow!

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1452837225' post='2953900']
Spent all of yesterday afternoon focusing on this one, that chucking technique really is hard to begin with, especially as you're skipping a string to play the 7th and the octave! But I'm getting there, I'm not at tempo yet but should be by later today!
[/quote]

As I said, I've played this since 1978 and always finger style - it sounds fine like that and is fairly typical of disco pop bass parts of the time although possibly one of the best. Bernard Edwards once described his own playing as basically an extension of Jamerson. Unless you find it easy to do I wouldn't worry too much about the chucking style - as I said finger style is fine on this and part of the line is most likely played like that anyway. The key is keeping the groove going and also that octave jumping.

Edited by drTStingray

It's really difficult to nail it fingerstyle that's what I tried to do for years. A pick sounds too sharp but I used to have some regular picks that were covered in felt (not standard felt picks!) and they were great for that sort of thing, gave a much more finger-like attack but made patterns like that much more natural to play.

Guest bassman7755

[/quote]

Well one mans mistake is another mans triplet-over-4s, though it sounded kind of cool myself.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1452951186' post='2954986']

the groove is sacrificed for the fluff in that example... IMO
[/quote]

Yeah possibly - but this really is more towards the pop end of the soul/R and B spectrum - however it's a pretty good copy of the original (with a few fluffs), which does have that extended 16th note groove at the end - the timing and accents of the original sound a bit unusual - this was one of a number of Chic/Sister Sledge/Sheila B Devotion/Diane Ross Edwards/Rogers produced covers which I played in a touring covers band at the end of the 70s and that song certainly got people up dancing - I think the bass 16th note groove just adds to the intensity - quite clever the way it's restricted only to one bar every twelve until the end when it cuts loose.

Very clever guys as writers, arrangers and musicians.

Edited by drTStingray