Why become a member? ×

Your music aspirations and goals for 2016

Guest Jecklin

Guest Jecklin

I started a similar thread this time last year and it seems like a good idea for another.

So what have you got planned for 2016?

What was good about this year that you want to continue and develop and what will you be changing?

2015 was a good musical year for me:
I made the switch from ensemble playing to taking my material out as a solo act and I wish I'd done it sooner!
I played in some of my favourite venues at some of my best gigs ever!

2016 will be more of the same, but to a less London centric audience. Bristol, Glasgow and Manchester are all on my radar along with dates in Europe.

It will also be a year to write new material - my current music will be out in EP format very soon and I want new music to sit alongside integrated projected visuals I'm developing.

finally I'll be launching a musical (micro) business which will make me less reliant on my part time day(night) job.

So how about you?

Get my blues band, which is now settled in nicely, gigging 2/3 times a month, and to see if we can start cracking some better gigs - local festivals, beer festivals etc. instead of just pub gigs.

Other target is purely reliant on finances, but is to get a DB and start playing that.

1) Play a few more gigs with the covers band and make a little extra cash.

2) Finish off the riff ideas and demos I have on my computer and maybe put out a little 4-5 track EP. I'm learning to draw so if I can make my own artwork for it then that'll be a bonus.

3) Either get back up to speed on trumpet (I had an embouchure collapse in August and my playing range more than halved overnight) or find something else to learn.

Amen to Gary Mac. I'll be 75 in Feb and I just hope my constitution will be up to another year of gigs. I won't be travelling such crazy distances tho. I'll try to knuckle down to some more sustained practice to improve my technique. Oh, and not to buy any more gear - although ten minutes ago I ordered a new preamp at an eye-watering price. But that was still in 2015.

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1451388606' post='2940015']
I'll be 75 in Feb and I just hope my constitution will be up to another year of gigs.
[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing, but at a mere 62 years old, you certainly give me inspiration. ;)

Good on ya...!!!..to be still gigging at 75. Long may you continue.

So far for 2016 we are looking at:

1. Recording our 2nd album (planned for 22 - 24 Jan)
2. Touring our 2nd album (planned for March/April, starting with Another Winter of Discontent Festival at The Boston Arms, London, ending at The Hope & Anchor, London, on St Georges Day)
3. Play The Rebellion Festival for the 2nd year in August

And amongst all that try and get some overseas gigs - Germany looking like the most likely at present - and hopfully get to support some more fantastic bands along the way, as we`ve already added a good few "names" to our list already, hoping to further this.

1) Join a band with people I find agreeable (this will be the hardest one).

2) Avoid GAS a bit more, there were 3 new basses in 2015 I didn't need (2 outgoing though).

3) Learn more theory, for 12 years of playing bass I know pretty much nothing.

I hope to pretty much continue my current path.

My main band has been together since 2012, and with a new drummer in place, we are booking for the year ahead, and will record our 3rd EP of originals (with another one from me!) during the Spring/Summer.

I've also got the possibility of some gigs with another band - just some covers stuff, but it's nice to get out and play with as many people as possible.

Gear-wise, I'm sorted. Only thing I'm looking forward to is getting my earlier Ricky back, as it is currently undergoing some resto work.

My goal last year was to start playing with other people with a view to gigging at some point. 5 piece covers band now established and our first public performance in the bag. The plan for 2016 is to establish ourselves as a regular gigging band. Other than that, improve my theory and sight-reading on bass.

Try & improve my guitar playing.
Finish writing a couple of songs that I've hit a brick wall with.
Co-write some new songs with people I met in on a songwriting course in Scotland earlier this year.
Help a friend of mine with arranging her songs & be involved with the recording of her first EP.

Continue to avoid being in a band/gigging. :)

Next year's goals will be to continue improving my theory and reading, learn more disco and funk and help develop my main band, whilst picking up the odd dep gig here and there to play with different people.

The singer and guitarist from my main band are planning on doing music professionally in the second half of the year, so will hopefully be busy with a lot of gigs next year, which is good as we're hoping to buy a house in 2016 and everything helps.

Edit: also, writing; I've got ideas for a solo project, so need to get them properly worked out and down on tape.

Edited by Graham

Last year's big job was to relearn everything with a floating thumb. Took a while but it's second nature now. This year it's a return to playing live which looks on the cards. My proper resolution is to enter the recording challenge at some stage. I've always listened and voted, and I'm just trying to cobble together a tiny kidsafe workspace to have a go myself.

[quote name='NickD' timestamp='1451416433' post='2940336']
Last year's big job was to relearn everything with a floating thumb. Took a while but it's second nature now. This year it's a return to playing live which looks on the cards. My proper resolution is to enter the recording challenge at some stage. I've always listened and voted, and I'm just trying to cobble together a tiny kidsafe workspace to have a go myself.
[/quote]

Good on yer Nick! If you need any pointers in getting started then drop us a line in the Rec' forum.

Coincidentally I'm planing on switching to floating thumb this year (I currently play with my thumb anchored). Initial practice is already cleaning up my muting technique dramatically... The tricky part is un-learning old habits ;)

Practice, practice, practice, etc...

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1451418338' post='2940360']

Good on yer Nick! If you need any pointers in getting started then drop us a line in the Rec' forum.

Coincidentally I'm planing on switching to floating thumb this year (I currently play with my thumb anchored). Initial practice is already cleaning up my muting technique dramatically... The tricky part is un-learning old habits ;)

Practice, practice, practice, etc...
[/quote]

Thanks a lot!

Starting with what I have (laptop, midi keyboard with Pre Sonus artist, instruments and a Zoom B3), no sense spending unless I take to it. If I do find the time and inclination to expand I'll definitely be in there with questions... looks like a supportive bunch!

Best of luck with the floating thumb. I only play fivers and find it's made me so much cleaner and quicker. I just started working through songs I could already play, starting with the least demanding. I found it came pretty naturally sitting, then I had a bit more work to do when standing. Not sure how long it took as the change took me by surprise... I just realised that anything new I learned, I automatically used floating thumb... job done.

I used to sight read when I played piano as a young kid but lost it completely when I gave up playing (my dad, who was a professional piano tutor, taught me from 4 years old until my parents split up when I was 8). By the time I started playing bass at 14 I'd pretty much forgotten how to read altogether so I've always played by ear or used tab. This year I plan to work on getting my sight reading back up to speed (with the added bonus of being able to focus on the bass clef) and to really brush up on my theory along the way.