Why become a member? ×

Household names?

sunburstjazz1967

A topic that has sprung to me after posting about it in the Jaco thread is one that makes me wonder who are the genuine household name bassists? I love John Deacon and 20 years ago people might recognise the name but I fear mainly now only musicians and Queen fans would know that one. I am thinking proper household names here, not your obscure name that you love but imagine knocking on 10 doors in a cul de sac, various age residents, male and female etc and giving them some names or showing them a picture and say at least 50% of the people knowing who they are. Some might not realise that they are playing a[i] bass[/i] guitar but that is secondary for me in the test. I will award points for at least "oooh thats the guy from such a band they did that song, la la laa" or similar

+ certain
? possibly
x nope even if you like them and think they should be

Macca +
Sting+
Lemmy+
Sid+
Phil Lynot?
John Deacon ?x
Gene Simmons +

Who are we missing? copy amend and paste!

EDIT to say, ability or skill has nil factor in the list!

Edited by sunburstjazz1967

If they happen to be singers as well as bass players then they're in with a shout but household names for bass,not much of a chance.
More likely " Oh thats ____"

The fella from Duran Duran
The fella from Tears For Fears
The guy from Level 42

Edited by kodiakblair

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1449937060' post='2928188']
Ten doors in a cul-de-sac..? You'd be lucky if any of them could name a single bass player.

If you pointed out that McCartney was a bass player they'd know the name, but McCartney was a singer, a songwriter and a Beatle first, second and third and a bass player fourth.
[/quote]

... and almost everyone would call his bass guitar, a guitar.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1449936883' post='2928183']
There are no people who are 'household names' as bassists.
[/quote]

This.

I think the nearest two that have been mentioned are Suzi Quatro, because it was so different, and her being small really made the bass obvious, and Mark King, as his bass playing was such a prominent part of the act. But yes, as above with Discreet's post, knock on 10 doors and ask what instrument these two played and I doubt too many would know.

Just given me an idea for a pub quiz question, will try it the next time I do one, and see how many get it (and report back).

A little too late, unfortunately. In my late teens I lived in just such a cul-de-sac (Monarch Close...), then on to Glebeland Gardens, and could, in both instances, have obliged by sounding out the opinions of my neighbours. Alas, in my present remote location, I'd have to travel a fair way to meet 10 neighbours. Would they know about bass players..? I very much doubt it. How many breeds of cattle can [i]you [/i]name..? My neighbours could probably list at least a few dozen. To each his/her own. The French expression would be '[i]chacun voit midi à sa porte[/i]'. We all think that our own, personal, truth is universal. Often that's not really the case.

Edited by Dad3353

When I told someone in the office that I was learning bass, he was really surprised I would take that instrument up on the basis that there are no bass players who lead a band! I guess that whilst the guy listens to music, he has no idea re the visual difference between an electric bass and a guitar.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1449937060' post='2928188']
Ten doors in a cul-de-sac..? You'd be lucky if any of them could name a single bass player.
[/quote]

True, dat.
But, I bet all the blokes know the names of all the wife's and partners,
and what the inside of the bedrooms look like, not to mention how many keys
are on the key rings.