Why become a member? ×

How long do your new strings retain their twang?

PaulWarning

over the last 6 months or so I've been recording my new strings every month or so straight onto my computer no effects or EQ using audacity (DR coated Neons), anyway I noticed when I put some new strings on in June that after a month the new strings lost their initial twang and didn't change much at all after that, I fitted some new ones yesterday (mainly because the coloured coating had come off where I hit them with my pick) and recorded them, did a 2 hour gig last night recorded them this morning again and, yep, the twang had gone not much difference between the 2 hour strings and the 6 month old ones I took off. So I guess if you want that initial twang you have to change your strings every gig, I'm glad for my pockets sake it doesn't bother me in fact I prefer it when the initial twang has gone

For the sound I want, two weeks tops and playing every day but looking after them.

Depending on what gigs I've got, depends when I actually change them.
I've got 3 new packs ready to go.... but the thing that determines the strings are
coming off is when they feel off...which is around 2 months.

Forget what they sound like all gunked up.... they just feel awful.
That is when they get cleaned.

A good set of strings made using good core material (which is NOT a given, IME) will clean up 3 to 5 times before they
need scrapping.

Too long!
I'll keep them on as long as possible until they don't hold tune properly - usually about 5 years.
Even with flats, 'cos of my very dry, non-acidic hands they just keep twanging and twanging, on and on.
I now restring my bass and give it to my Grandson to run 'em in for an hour and they come back thudding.
You've probably gathered that I prefer to play bass, not piano. ;)

Edited by Jazzneck

Well I was using Rotosound Steel Rounds, and the last two packs I bought died much quicker than usual - within a month they had the completely dead sound that in the past took between 3 - 6 months to get. So I`ve swapped to D`Addario Pro Steels, will report back as only put them on a week or so back. Plenty of people had recommended them for their long life so went with that - I actually prefer the thud of dead strings but for what I need in my band, twang and bite is where it`s at.

The Elixirs I put on 30 or so gigs ago are still nice and bright, and the coating's still good after battering with a pick (Dunlop Nylon 88) all that time. Just bought some XLong ones for the Dingwall... Dramatically better than any previous coated strings I've used.

Not a lot of use for the thudders amongst us, but for the rest...excellent.

I like my strings as bright as possible. As I can't afford to replace them as often as I'd like, I do have to confess to boiling them to brighten them back up. When I used to use Rotosounds I'd have to boil them after every gig to keep them zingy but since I've been using D'Addario Prosteels I generally get 3 gigs before they need their first boil and then it's every other gig after that.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1448269647' post='2913967']
Can anyone suggest anything to clean them with that might bring back a little brightness?
[/quote]

Soak them overnight is some mentholated spirit. Leave to dry for a couple of hours, wipe down, and you're good to go for a while longer. To help maintain the brightness, wipe down the strings after playing, with a cloth moistened with mentholated spirit. Be sure to put something under the strings (some plastic..for example) to protect the fret board.

Can anyone suggest anything to clean them with that might bring back a little brightness?
[/quote]coated strings are supposed to overcome the problem of gunk and sweat clogging up the strings (which is why cleaning them brings back the zing), I've always found they cost more but last a lot lot longer, I started using Elixir nonowebs which are great but have moved on to DR neons because I like the colours, (it's all part of the show)

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1448270719' post='2913975']
Soak them overnight is some mentholated spirit. Leave to dry for a couple of hours, wipe down, and you're good to go for a while longer. To help maintain the brightness, wipe down the strings after playing, with a cloth moistened with mentholated spirit. Be sure to put something under the strings (some plastic..for example) to protect the fret board.
[/quote]

Yes I think wiping them down could be a plan, I'll give that a whirl... bit of a faff taking them off to clean them!

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1448271418' post='2913979']
coated strings are supposed to overcome the problem of gunk and sweat clogging up the strings (which is why cleaning them brings back the zing), I've always found they cost more but last a lot lot longer, I started using Elixir nonowebs which are great but have moved on to DR neons because I like the colours, (it's all part of the show)
[/quote]

I don't think you can get Elixirs in a six string set? I had a set of Red DR neons a while back on a jazz bass I liked very much... I didn't like the yellow guitar strings I tried though... they were truly awful.

[/quote]

Meths is good. I leave them for a 48 hrs soak but the silks on some strings are a PITA and cause impurities in the cleaning
fluid, IMO.

This can add up to causing rust spots or stains on the string..so I find silks counter-productive....they get ragged and look terrible
so no point at all being there on a decent string IMO.

I use strings without them...
Newtone don't use silks..thankfully, but I'd request they didn't put them on anyway in my sets. They also use decent metal..
which is a bug/theory of mine.

I think there was a general downgrade on the quality on steel used..which is why I changed suppliers a while back..
That and debris floating in the meths can cause the strings not toi clean up as well as they should.
How practical it is to change meths for each cleanse is your call... but I just throw it away when the oils that
come off the string under cleaning gets too apparent ...

I've heard medical alcohol..can't recall the product name..is another source, but presumably debris is more of an issue
there so we are back to silks dirtying everything up again..??

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1448275380' post='2914020']
Meths is good.
[/quote]

Meths [i]is[/i] good. After 1/2 a pint you can't tell how dead your strings are.

I don't like the sound of new strings, which is fortunate because I couldn't afford 12 or more sets of strings a year.

I used DR Lo-Riders for a long time. IMO they sounded terrible for the first week and when they sounded terrible at the other end of the scale they got changed. For me they were about 9 or 10 months old when the deadness started to annoy. That was about 100 gigs.

I have Dunlop Super Brights on a bass at the moment. It doesn't get played much but they have stayed "bright", although not twangy, for the longest time I have known in a set of bass strings. About a year.

I use Elixirs on my ACG but can't get them to fit on my other bass as they don't make them long enough. I like really fresh sounding strings (easy to take away noise than it is to add it in if required in my books.). Elixirs will last me the best part of 9+ months before I even really think about replacing them. Any other strings I've used however get to that stage within a few weeks/days depending on the brand. Rotosounds and Ernie Ball strings are too dull almost out of the packet for my liking.

[quote name='mr zed' timestamp='1448276966' post='2914036']
I seem to recall a string manufacturer (Dean Markley?) Cryogenically treating bass strings. Did anyone try them & if so did this process help to keep the twang for longer?
[/quote]

Blue Steels. I've used them on bass & guitar & didn't notice any difference in how long they lasted compared to the Labella or GHS strings I normally use. I also found them to sound quite dull straight out of the packet.

With Prosteels i can get twang for the first 3 weeks, sometimes a month, trying my first Flexsteels set to see how much longer it lasts. I change strings every couple of months.

I play bass and the bass has to be heard and respected, not just a muddy thump, it's a harmonic instrument as well as rithmic, for thump i would buy a kick drum, much cheaper... :P