Why become a member? ×

Surprisingly amazing gig.

Maude

We've had the 'Who did you see last live' and 'Who's the worst band you've seen live' threads.
Inspired by these two, let's hear about the gigs you didn't think would be great but turned out amazing. You know the ones you went to reluctantly with mates, or your other halves favourite band that you agreed to see, or the festival ones you've stumbled upon.
To start you off with The Cult at Bristol academy in 2011, I'd always liked The Cult but hadn't bought anything of theirs since Sonic Temple, I saw they were touring again and it was only about £15 a ticket so Mrs. M and myself decided to go, it was only in weeks time and had sold out, bugger! Thought I'd have a quick look on ebay and a nice chap was selling two tickets at face value as he couldn't go, result.
I wasn't expecting much, maybe the result of a low ticket price, small venue tour and the fact the Ian Astbury was touring with the doors previously and I thought The Cult were long gone but I was blown away. Astburys voice was still as good as in the eighties, Duffys big white Gretsch sounded amazing and the whole atmosphere in the small venue was brilliant.
My wife just had a similar experience at the Alice Cooper show in Plymouth, she doesn't know any AC apart from what she's heard through me and wasn't fused at all about going, but she thoroughly enjoyed it, more than me I think, she hasn't stopped telling people about it.

So go on then, let's hear your surprise 'best gigs'.

I had one just a couple of weeks ago. I won tickets to see the Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Prudential Bluesfest, of whom I'd never heard. When I found out that were "blues/rock" my heart sank... probably having heard too many versions of Mustang Sally et al at too many jam nights. But I struck lucky, and when the second number started in 7/4 I knew that this was something more that plodding 12-bars. In fact I don't think they played a single 12-bar song. I bought their current album the next day and it's the first thing in a while for which I've burnt a CD for the car. Thank you, Prudential!

Styx at Rock City on Big Bang Theory (album of covers) tour. As they had released an album of covers it suggested they were pretty dried up of ideas and probably a bit past it and i wasn't a big fan to start with. On the night an utterly stunning level of professionalism and they could still all sing extraordinarily well and with full harmonies, great show in a smallish venue.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1448027515' post='2912456']
Styx at Rock City on Big Bang Theory (album of covers) tour. As they had released an album of covers it suggested they were pretty dried up of ideas and probably a bit past it and i wasn't a big fan to start with. On the night an utterly stunning level of professionalism and they could still all sing extraordinarily well and with full harmonies, great show in a smallish venue.
[/quote]

Absolutely superb live band, seen them a few times.
A friend of mine came to see them with me once & it's really not his sort of music but he was blown away by them too - his comment afterwards was something like "I'd never buy an album by them but I'll never miss a live show by them after that"

The Beatles in Hamburg.
We'd just started playing guitars whilst living in Germany and one of our Dads regiments squaddy bands told us to go and see this British Beat Group who were good.
So off we trecked to the Reeperbahn (dressed in school uniform) and managed to catch 3 or 4 numbers before the fight started and we were slung out by the doorman before we got hurt.
We did not start or get involved in the fight, I hasten to add.
That was the evening in the spring of 1962 when my world changed. B)
The Hamburg girls were pretty interesting, too. :D
Lucky boy, ain't I? I was just thirteen!

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1448027995' post='2912463']
Absolutely superb live band, seen them a few times.
[/quote]

I almost got to see them again supporting Deep Purple (Styx second on bill of 3) but there was a long power out problem between acts so that in order for the running times to be correct again poor old Styx got saddled with having to do literally 3 songs and then go off, they still gave it their all but i doubt if they've ever done a shorter show. :(

Mike & the Mechanics this summer in a civic theatre in Eastbourne. Only went as it was a rare chance to catch up with my old school mate who plays drums with them. The show was fantastic, brilliantly lit, and cleverly plotted to include a couple of Genesis bits and a crowd-pleasing performance by singer Andrew Roachford of his hit Cuddly Toy. Bass duties were swapped between three of them! One of those shows that you know are good as it was over before you even glanced at the time! Was introduced to the band as "I was in my first ever band with this guy" which I thought was quite touching!

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1448032935' post='2912540']
I almost got to see them again supporting Deep Purple (Styx second on bill of 3) but there was a long power out problem between acts so that in order for the running times to be correct again poor old Styx got saddled with having to do literally 3 songs and then go off, they still gave it their all but i doubt if they've ever done a shorter show. :(
[/quote]

I was there! The three songs they did sounded amazing - everyone around me was gutted they didn't get a chance to play a full set it was that impressive. Would definitely see them again if they ever come this way!

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1448026741' post='2912439']
I had one just a couple of weeks ago. I won tickets to see the Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Prudential Bluesfest, of whom I'd never heard. When I found out that were "blues/rock" my heart sank... probably having heard too many versions of Mustang Sally et al at too many jam nights. But I struck lucky, and when the second number started in 7/4 I knew that this was something more that plodding 12-bars. In fact I don't think they played a single 12-bar song. I bought their current album the next day and it's the first thing in a while for which I've burnt a CD for the car. Thank you, Prudential!
[/quote]

You won a watch there - Tedeschi / Trucks Band are one of the few bands I'd love to see live!

Neonfly at Bloodstock 2010. Heard a couple of songs, liked what I heard. Went along to their set in a tiny tent with about forty or so other people. They blew me away and they're still at it five years later. They've supported Alice Cooper in Germany and some bands who are pretty big in the European Metal scene. Pretty nice guys, the gig after that I saw them in a bar in Doncaster. Playing to about five people, so they've come a long way since then.

Prince 2007 at the O2 but NOT the stadium gig. The after show party in the indigo blew my mind...twice - his ability to manage the band like a mixer desk was astonishing. The cues to the bridge, the break downs and improv were stunning.

Here And Now in some repurposed church in Salisbury in 1978 - my memory is that it was near derelict, but I think that must be wrong. I went along with a couple of friends, didn't expect much - hippies, probably out of it, etc etc. They were tight as a tight thing, and it's not everyone who can make a 15-minute jam interesting. And then do it again with a different jam. Etc. etc..

Edited by alyctes

Skunk Anansie, the Mrs wanted to see them, I wasn't fussed but went along to keep her company. Cass's bass kicked in so loudly the security with their backs to the stage simultaneously jumped from the shock and he was worth the ticket price on his own! Great player, great tone and a very good night.

Some friends are friends with members of UB40 so we are often able to get in free and/or backstage. We saw them at Birmingham City's ground back in the 80s (UB40 play the Blues) - also on the bill were The Pogues - didn't really know their work so was blown away when they stole the show and had the whole ground rocking.

In Camden one night we saw "The Radical Sheikhs" - blues/rock band - excellent craftsmen and masters of their genre - really enjoyed what they did.

At a festival about ten years ago, I had some time to kill, nothing on the lineup at that time appealed to me so I wandered into the nearest tent to wait for a rain shower to pass over and was completely blown away by Mull Historical Society. I thought they were fantastic, having been put off by the name.

Another terrible name band, Goatwhore - yes, that's right. They were support at a gig a few years ago and I was again completely put off by the name, had never heard them, but they have been one of my favourite metal bands ever since. Still think the name is utterly abysmal, all the same.

Tedeschi Trucks Band - Oh yes! seen 'em a few times, superb band.
....and another stunning night was The Notting Hillbillies at Colchester University, yonks ago.

Also at Colchester University, my sons asked me to pick them up after a Kingmaker gig.
They came out raving about the support band whose name was Radiohead.
Bu88er - I turned down the spare ticket they had, too. :(

For me that would be Marillion, in 1985. My then-girlfriend was a massive fan, but I just couldn't get the appeal of what to me was a lukewarm 70s Genesis knockoff with a sh!t drummer, fronted by a gargantuan clown-painted Scot, pretentiously boo-hooing about all his failed relationships.

So I was dragged along to see them at the old Hammy Odeon. We had front-row seats and I was quite happy to stand up, fold my arms & go "impress me". They did. Fish was the most riveting, dramatic and engaging frontman I'd seen, the band were spectacular (the sh!t drummer on their first album having been replaced by the rather more capable Ian Moseley) and to top it all, bassist Pete Trewavas was playing an Aria RSB-Deluxe II - exactly like mine! Made me a fanboy in an instant. B)

Jon.