Why become a member? ×

Bass Storage Cabinets

Number6

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1447005925' post='2904094']
Surely a cabinet maker is an Artisan just as a Luthier is (there are many synergies between these craft skills) and can build to the customers requirements.

👍
[/quote]

I could build you one, but it would cost something in the region of £2k

Great idea though. A cheaper option would be to pick up a chest of drawers or printers chest from an auction and convert

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1447006488' post='2904106']
I could build you one, but it would cost something in the region of £2k

Great idea though. A cheaper option would be to pick up a chest of drawers or printers chest from an auction and convert
[/quote]2K wow I was thinking about 700 notes top shows how much I know lol

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1447006488' post='2904106']

[/quote]

Funny, first thing I thought of when I saw it - the old drying drawers in the art classrooms at school 30+ years ago!

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1447006926' post='2904115']
Haha, that might cover materials, workshop costs and sundries ;)
[/quote]

I used to get this all the time when I was a bookbinder. Somebody would want their old family bible or something rebound & when I'd tell them how much it would cost they'd look at me like I was insane. They'd think it would cost them about ten quid when in reality just the amount of leather involved would cost over £100.
f***ing numptys!

That looks like a great idea; easily accessible yet well protected & still giving you useful top surface.

I don't have the spare cash for custom made furniture but I definitely think I could hack up some foam & fit it in a set of 2nd hand draws - to eBay!

I do like the idea of these actually. Put some soft material on the top and have tools/cleaning equipment on the top so I could use it as a set-up/restringing station and then put all the basses safely in drawers. Have a few spare drawers at the bottom to store the gig bags and you'd be sorted!

*adds to GAS list

Edited by skej21

[quote name='pfretrock' timestamp='1447157056' post='2905303']
Were those custom made? First looks like a B&Q type job, hardly suitable for 50 - 60 lbs total weight. Would the runner support 8-9 lb when fully extended? (based on experience of similar looking 'sock and knicker' draws falling apart!)
[/quote]I agree the white unit looks a bit cheap, the woodgrain job looks pukka!

PS What big socks & knickers you must have :rolleyes: :D

Keep the hard cases, take any internal shelves and clothes rail out of an old sturdy wardrobe and store the cases upright inside if you don't like the idea of the cases lying around for all to see. I'm lucky, have a guest bedroom and a decent sized cupboard under the stairs.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1447006926' post='2904115']

Haha, that might cover materials, workshop costs and sundries ;)
[/quote]

How about you do me the first one, you know, for the exposure. Then if I like it, I'll book you for another one & tell all my friends. Promise.

:D