Why become a member? ×

What a drummer this guy isn't.

bubinga5

If I was promoting some cymbals, and there was already a drum part on the backing track, I'd go absolutely mental with fills, and I'd probably go out of time slightly because I'd be pushing myself to the limits of my ability, just to show off. I'd never do that in a band situation (although one of my bands makes me show off and it's definitely difficult to go mad and stay in time)

I have two very good drummer friends...one who is very 'flash' and the other who is more about groove...
but even that is subjective. If you heard the 'groove' youtubes, I'm not sure what you'd make of them...
Nice guy through and VERY professional in all he does.
The other guy is all about 'WOW'

Both work or have worked at a very high level, but guess which one is the star of every gig..?
People are mesmerised by him ( flash guy) and tbf, he has the real X factor. I'll agree he steps over the line
a few times but you can't kill him for a £60 gig. And also, he is a DRAW in himself and I'd suggest
that he is the best musician around...by some considerable way from a sheer talent point of view.
For a bass player he is a real joy to go thru a few gears with..and he certainly has a few gears.

Since he has played a very high level, he must know or have known where the limit was or else he wouldn't have
had the gigs he had.

I wouldn't judge the promo guy in all seriousness unless I knew what he did on a gig and what that gig was all about..

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1447077049' post='2904600']
...People are mesmerised by him ( flash guy)...
[/quote]

A flash drummer can be ace to watch, and it's not just musicians watching. Obviously it depends on the music, but I do think that "overplaying" is more acceptable on drums in a live situation than most other instruments. Obviously in the studio it's less entertaining and can get in the way

I quite enjoyed that to be honest. I bet he wouldn't do that if he was actually playing the song in a live situation (I hope not anyway). A great little promo and, he can clearly play. A pity about the drum sound though. Oh well, you can't win them all :ph34r:

PS Those bendy sticks are awesome :gas:

Edited by mattbass6

I don't think we're really the target demographic.

He's been asked to hit each of the cymbals a lot to show people who like buying cymbals how nice it would be to own these particular cymbals. Great.

I own a few cymbals and can tell you right now that the cymbals the zombie fella is hitting are way better than my cymbals. But I don't often hit my cymbals, so this video is of only passing interest to me. If I was hitting my cymbals a lot, I'd probably get irritated by the way they go "chchchchhchchhhhkhhhkhh" to the point that I'd go out and buy some that went "tssssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhh". Then I'd watch the hell out of videos like this.

As far as the video being entertaining, nah... not for me, but neither is the other one.

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1447079873' post='2904641']
A flash drummer can be ace to watch, and it's not just musicians watching. Obviously it depends on the music, but I do think that "overplaying" is more acceptable on drums in a live situation than most other instruments. Obviously in the studio it's less entertaining and can get in the way
[/quote]

Sure...but this guy has it all...he has monster chops, people really take to him and what he is doing and grooves as well as anyone as well.
He is not as well as he used to be which is possibly the only thing that stops him playing at the level he was at..and what his contempories are still at.
Studio is or was his second home.

The point of my post was lost somewhat. I'm not knocking the guys technical ability. i was commenting on his playing on this particular record.
i think he overplays.

"sh*t" was a stronger word than i should have used. I'm sorry.

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]sorry i don't know how to quote other posts.. [/color][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828] "and that other bloke playing over a 4/4-6/4 count isn't 'overplaying'..? I'm confused."[/color][/font]

is improvising on your own overplaying.?. i don't think it is. but i think in a musical situation it can be.

Chris Coleman is making it up as he goes along on his own, the other chap is over playing on a classic record.

we will all differ musically i guess.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1447286691' post='2906497']...
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]sorry i don't know how to quote other posts.. ...[/color][/font]
[/quote]

I use the 'Quote' button, to be found here, on a typical PC browser screen ...

Hope this helps. :)

As for 'overplaying', I'm just that much less judgemental in my appreciation of other's work, that's all. To me, there's little to compare between folks, almost whatever their abilities. I can either like 'em or not; that's only for me to decide, but, other than that, it's all good, as far as I'm concerned. Good luck to 'em both, and others of the sort. Yes, we're all different. B)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1447287946' post='2906501']
I use the 'Quote' button, to be found here, on a typical PC browser screen ...

Hope this helps. :)

As for 'overplaying', I'm just that much less judgemental in my appreciation of other's work, that's all. To me, there's little to compare between folks, almost whatever their abilities. I can either like 'em or not; that's only for me to decide, but, other than that, it's all good, as far as I'm concerned. Good luck to 'em both, and others of the sort. Yes, we're all different. B)
[/quote]i meant specific quotes Dad3353. but your good sarcasm wasn't lost on me. :)

its not about being judgmental, its just recognising the difference. but yes were all different.

Edited by bubinga5

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1447290399' post='2906512']
i meant specific quotes Dad3353. but your good sarcasm wasn't lost on me. :)...
[/quote]

No sarcasm (for once..?) intended, my friend; what is it about quoting that you've not yet mastered..? If we can help, we will do so, and it may well be useful to others (including myself...); we can all learn from each other. Pass over to PM if you wish, of course. B)

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1447336687' post='2906813']
Just use the Quote or MultiQuote button, and delete those parts of the post(s) you do not want to quote. Just takes a few seconds.
Better methods may well exist, but I'm satisfied doing it this crude way.
[/quote]

The important part is to be careful not to touch the html tags at the start and end, in square brackets, whilst editing. These are needed 'as is' by the system, and should not be altered at all. Just sayin'. ;)

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1447353028' post='2907024']
I don't understand the multi quote function. I've hit it and just got the quote I happen to be on :(
[/quote]

The idea is to use the 'MultiQuote' button as many times as necessary. At first 'hit', a 'Reply to...' button pops up (bottom right...), with a counter that increments with every 'MultiQuote' added. Ignore this until all posts have been 'MultiQuoted'. Once all posts have been selected in this way, it suffices to click on the 'Reply to...' button, and a new post is created with each quote entered, in the order in which they were selected. Alternatively, one may 'Clear' the quotes if a mistake has been made.
Try it..? Hope this helps. :)

LOL

I also thought the drummer would be pants. He isn't. The original is very dull to play, in the sense that it is played straight with no embellishment at all. Counter wise, Tony Robinson Jr and the bassist created a fabulous groove and the fun is recreating that groove if you play it live. For example I'm not even sure there's a crash hit in the original and there are no fills either. As for this video the guy has excellent chops and we would will never know how he would fit into a band situation and whether he would overplay or not.

I say give him the benefit of the doubt. Enjoy the video or not - move on.

Davo

PS: I want some of those bendy sticks.

Edited by Davo-London

Very good drummer with great facility!
If you can't discern the difference between how he might play on a gig vs how he's playing on a clinic style drum promo, then give up YouTube and stick with your live gig dvds! That way you're spreading less negativity about someone and their, clearly evident, abilities.

Who the hell wants to watch someone play the actual Thriller drum part on a video without the rest of the band?! Lol

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1447584227' post='2908617']
If you can't discern the difference between how he might play on a gig vs how he's playing on a clinic style drum promo, then give up YouTube and stick with your live gig dvds!
[/quote]

As I mentioned earlier, he plays like this with his band...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1447584645' post='2908625']
Well then he'll learn quickly which bands like it and those that don't ;)

Si
[/quote]

His style suits the band. Like I say, he's clearly talented but. I'm just surprised the take used in the OP was OK'd, given that his timing is all over the shop at times. It's jarring.