Why become a member? ×

No more boutique basses for me (for now)

paulie

Having owned NYC Sadowskys, Zons, US Laklands, Fodera, F Bass, Skjold, Chris Larkin, Alleva Coppolo, Fender Custom Shop ive finally settled on a couple of basses that I just love to gig and not live in fear of them falling over or getting nicked!

They are: a US Jazz bass circa 2001, a Squire JV p bass circa 1983/4 and a Stingray circa 1991

Ive come to realise that all my other basses were just posh versions of the above 3. And having replaced the pickups in the jazz and p bass, Im in tone heaven.

All basses play, feel and sound every bit as good as my old posh ones and a lot better in some cases. A good outboard preamp suffices for an active eq.

All in all, I have a range of sounds for any gig, the suit my music and my snob factor is gone..

So happy, for now lol

Nice one.

I have never owned a top of the range bass and i'd be lying if i said i wouldn't like too but i have a MIM Precision that i really love and a modded Squier PJ Jazz that i like also.

I think i may go for something different as regards pup configuration but i cannot imagine me spending fortunes in the near future.

I've even considered the Yamaha BB714BS which is the cheapy Yam Attitude just to try out the neck humbucker.

Edited by Number6

Good stuff :)

It's always good to be happy with your gear / tone.

You're right about worrying about your gear getting nicked too. One of my bands is talking about some dates in Europe next year and I'm in two minds as to whether to take my Wals... I desperately want to as they are a massive part of my sound, but I'm just not sure about the flying thing and then I'd be worried about them getting nicked. They are insured but no-one really knows if instrument insurance is actually any use until it's too late.

I think I might just buy a cheapie sixer out there and use that :blink:

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='paulie' timestamp='1446470201' post='2899531']
...a US Jazz bass circa 2001, a Squire JV p bass circa 1983/4 and a Stingray circa 1991...
[/quote]

You probably don't need the Jazz and the Stingray. :lol:
I'm of the opinion that all you need is one halfway-decent bass - then learn how to play the bloody thing.

Funnily enough Ive had a love hate with P basses and Stingrays. Love them for some venue, not for others.
The Jazz is prob the one id pick of the 3 if there could be only 1!

I put Aguilar 60s pickups in it and in the Squire P, sound great.

But yeah, I was only buying basses and amp in the past out of boredom. Now, I just want to get up and play

I have owned 3 stingrays in my time... each time I move one on, I miss not having one and get another. In short, I know exactly what you mean although I haven't had as many as you! I went through overwater, sei, and a couple of others before realising that a Stingray just does it - no questions asked! I think discreet said it best - we forget how much of the tone comes from the players and that eternal search for the next bass should be better spent practicing!! If i had all the hours spent searching BC and online music shops into bass practice hours - I would be Victor Wooten!!
Oh well... back to the classifieds...

[quote name='carlsim' timestamp='1446471627' post='2899556']
If i had all the hours spent searching BC and online music shops into bass practice hours - I would be Victor Wooten!!
Oh well... back to the classifieds...
[/quote]

Well yes but I can search BC / online music shops on the sly at work... I think if I sat here with a bass it would be a bit obvious I wasn't 100% focused. :blink:

You can't possibly expect to achieve anything in life using basic tools. A real craftsman will always gravitate towards the best and most refined instrument for the job, true aids to the highest forms of self-expression.

How is one to define "the best and most refined"? By using that yardstick which is most recognised by all around you, that of money.

It follows that, penny for penny, the more one spends on a musical instrument, the finer a musician one will become.

Surely this much must be self-evident to you all?

Bwahahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahaaa!!!

:yarr:

Yeah
Id agree with "you get what you pay for etc" but once you find a good standard jazz or P bass etc, with a great neck, well dress frets, good balance and well made its hard to pass it by. My experience with the high end ones is that they simply cut out the flaws that some of the cheaper models fall down on, but there are many regular 1k Fenders and Musicmans that left the factory near perfect and by putting the boutique pickups etc you get the same thing.

But each to their own

I agree totally.
You pretty much cut out variances of the basses by buying high-end.
My current 2013 US Standard Jazz Bass is superb but the store I bought it from had 4 of the same model in stock - they just had different fingeboard/finish combinations - the difference in playability was crazy though - unacceptable actually - 3 were very average or rubbish and only 1 was good.

Edited by thebassist

I`m pretty much sorted with any Precision, no matter where it`s made. I keep on gravitating back to US Precisons as they are my fave but in reality the Mexican ones are fine, more than fine in fact. It`s just my vanity that says I must have a US. My US is better, and it shoudl be as it cost twice as much, but is it twice as good - probably not. But I do prefer it.

I think it unlikely though, however much money I had, that I`d get a Custom Shop Precision, or a genuine 60s one as for me that`s just going beyone my needs.

An old Precision is a wonderful thing, high end boutique holds little attraction for me. I do have a few basses though and some of those were bought just to keep it interesting between gigs. I do however find myself playing an 80s Fernandes Japan Jazz Bass more than anything else. ....what does that say about me..or the Fernandes. Actually I know what it says.......you only need one decent bass that plays well sounds good and that you're happy leaving in the back of the car or on stage at a pub gig.

Agreed that a good quality stock bass will do a very fine job. About a year ago I was at a gig and the bass player was using a Squire bass and a Markbass combo and his tone was just fantastic. He was a very good player which made all the difference. I would have settled for his tone, but I doubt that I could get anywhere close to it using his gear, as I am not blessed with the same degree of talent.

The problem I have found with Fender basses is consistency in terms of build, quality and weight. The last one I purchased was shipped from the U.S. and the fretwork was shocking. However there is no doubt that a good Fender jazz/precision will get the majority of bass players well over the line, me included.

Weight has been the single most important issue for me due to a really dodgy shoulder and a few years back I bought a Sadowsky NYC in the U.S. for 2.5k Euro (The dollar was very weak at the time) weighing 7 lbs. I find the active onboard preamp is really useful in terms of playing covers enabling me to tweak my tone on the fly. The thing is a joy to play

The Sadowsky NYC's are averaging 5k euro over on Thomann. Would I pay that money?....no way. I would be on the hunt for a quality Fender jazz (probably drop in sadowsky preamp) and now that I use the Gruvgear duo strap, a 9lbs bass would work very well.

Having said that, I am very pleased with the Sadowsky. Top notch attention to detail and build quality with fantastic customer support. I reckon if I sold it tomorrow I would quite likely get pretty close to my money back, so no regrets.

• 1 month later...

Couldn't agree more... Having owned way too many boutique basses I am currently gigging a 2001 mim Precision with a Nordstrand NP4v pickup and it just rocks! If it gets bashed or nicked then hey so what I can go and grab another real cheap👍