Why become a member? ×

Used gear market

Damonjames

[quote name='SICbass' timestamp='1445924195' post='2895378']
Hi Myke,

fyi, I shipped a bass last week from Germany to the Czech Republic using dpd (deutsche paket dienst) who, I believe, also operate in the UK. They upped their automatic insurance value from €520,- up to €1000,- for an additional charge of €11,- and they knew it was a bass.

Cheers
Paul
[/quote]

The fact that they knew it was bass doesn't mean that they have to pay out if it's damaged, it's your responsibility to read the small print, not theirs. Couriers make a lot of money on 'insurance (it's not insurance in real terms, it's secondary customer spend, i.e., mostly profit). Like life insurance salesmen, they'll happily take your money with little or zero due diligence their end, only getting into the details if you make a claim, which is when they'll point out that they don't include musical instruments in the cover they sell :rolleyes:

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1445878878' post='2894986']
'Collection only'
[/quote]

I sell bigger items like cabs "collection only" because I cant be arsed faffing around packing it. I appreciate its frustrating for someone unable to collect since I tend to price things to sell quickly but if I was willing to ship it, I'd be charging more ...

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1445877550' post='2894961']
What's up with the used gear market these days?
[/quote]

Prices of good quality new gear has been dropping and the standards of the cheaper gear has been rising. That has a knock-on effect on the prices of 2nd hand gear. It's the new reality :)

I would never post a bass anymore. Not only have I had more then one bad experience, I also have so little time and resources to actually post an instrument, let alone deal with insurance if something goes wrong. Living in London means that I have a huge amount of potential buyers within my range, so for me it really makes sense to sell locally. I am just more patient about it, I shouldnt be bad mouthed for it (Which I have on here in the past).

After all, it is my property and only I can decide how to sell it.

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1445936967' post='2895463']
I would never post a bass anymore. Not only have I had more then one bad experience, I also have so little time and resources to actually post an instrument, let alone deal with insurance if something goes wrong. Living in London means that I have a huge amount of potential buyers within my range, so for me it really makes sense to sell locally. I am just more patient about it, I shouldnt be bad mouthed for it (Which I have on here in the past).

[/quote]

I think this is a prime example of someone using a luxury provided by their location. It's great for him and others living, for example, in the central north cities. This is great for the seller.

The frustration here is, of course, for the buyer if you live in some of the more off-the-beaten-track places. In those cases you can be reading all the threads only to see the bass you're desperate to buy, but you can't have it without a 4 hours drive. Maybe we should develop a code to put in the title?

We all understand "FS:". maybe we should replace this with "CO:" for collection only?

WRT the BC marketplace. I've come to the conclusion that the only basses that sell there are Leo Fender legacy brands and boutique stuff, plus one or 2 other, such as Ibanez. I put up a Westone once and all I got was some plonker telling me that the lines in the wood were massive gaps in the pocket and over all it was in terrible condition. Personally I've come to the conclusion I can do without the hassle. Right now I've got 5 basses up for sale on Ebay. They started at 99p and I'm sure they'll sell for, what is right now, a fair price.

[quote name='Pinball' timestamp='1445936919' post='2895461']
Prices of good quality[s] new[/s] gear has been dropping and the standards of the cheaper gear has been rising. That has a knock-on effect on the prices of 2nd hand gear. It's the new reality :)
[/quote] True, this does mean sellers of budget used gear get frustrated when they find they're selling a bass for little more than the cost of a the pickups. But then I guess the aim of the manufacturers is to drive the market to being in the position of us all thinking there's no point in buying secondhand when for so little more you can get a brand new one.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1445936967' post='2895463']

[/quote]

Fair enough. I can fully appreciate why, for some items, in some locations, 'buyer collects' is the right choice.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1445938646' post='2895484']
I think this is a prime example of someone using a luxury provided by their location. It's great for him and others living, for example, in the central north cities. This is great for the seller.

The frustration here is, of course, for the buyer if you live in some of the more off-the-beaten-track places. In those cases you can be reading all the threads only to see the bass you're desperate to buy, but you can't have it without a 4 hours drive. Maybe we should develop a code to put in the title?

We all understand "FS:". maybe we should replace this with "CO:" for collection only?
[/quote]

Not much point I find, Unless you put CO and the location, with title space at a premium anyway.

Having a large buyers pool in London is practically the only "Luxury" I have living here. I would much rather live in the sticks and the advantages that gives me (Having some quality time and be able to afford a property!) then have a large buyers pool!

Edited by Shockwave

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1445938980' post='2895486']
Not much point I find, Unless you put CO and the location, with title space at a premium anyway.

Having a large buyers pool in London is practically the only "Luxury" I have living here. I would much rather live in the sticks and the advantages that gives me (Having some quality time and be able to afford a property!) then have a large buyers pool!
[/quote]
Point taken completely. As for the joys/pains of location, that's a whole new subject.

The Second hand market is an odd beast ... A item is only worth as much as people are willing to pay for it , but people look at comparable past sales and ebay prices and they remember the price they paid for the item new .... I'm not saying basses depreciate like cars but there's a reason there is a "glasses guide" for a 5 year old car , that pretty much all the dealers utilize. Its a buyers market , people have gotten used to fantastic deals like Thomman's and with shipping for free and a 30 day money back.

In a world where you can get a new one for just a little bit more unless an item was exceptional / a great deal,the motivtion to buy second hand needs to both carry the risk that the item isnt quite right and the fact that the goods are used.

I'm going to contradict bassman7755 it should be the other way around ... If you aren't willing to ship it ( especially at the buyers cost) ..You must be willing to accept a slightly below market value for your product . I don't mean this harshly or personally but its an interaction of supply and demand. By not being willing to do so you have shrunk your buyers pool to only those who are willing to collect in the immediate area to you , this means that if you live in an area where there is limited interest for a product expect it to not shift.

I've always sold everything I [u]really[/u] wanted to sell on the marketplace here. I priced it keenly by researching the current going price, I shipped it anywhere, included shipping costs in the asking price, and answered questions immediately. The hard ones to shift are the oddballs and weird and wonderful, as no one knows or wants them :)

Sometimes you don't really want to sell something, but you know you should. Those are the items that I didn't shift, largely because i didn't apply the method above...

Demand is low and supply is high. I don't think enough sellers have worked that out yet and are still pricing based on what it was like a few years ago when the economy was booming. I'm not convinced that those glory days are ever coming back, especially with the ever-increasing quality of budget gear.

Suspect that the guys who justified owning a million instruments by saying "I can always get back what I paid for them if it comes down to it" may well be in for a nasty shock at some point.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1445951245' post='2895619']
Demand is low and supply is high. I don't think enough sellers have worked that out yet and are still pricing based on what it was like a few years ago when the economy was booming. I'm not convinced that those glory days are ever coming back, especially with the ever-increasing quality of budget gear.

Suspect that the guys who justified owning a million instruments by saying "I can always get back what I paid for them if it comes down to it" may well be in for a nasty shock at some point.
[/quote]

Bang on!

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1445940886' post='2895513']
there's a reason there is a "glasses guide" for a 5 year old car , that pretty much all the dealers utilize
[/quote]

There should be a GASses Guide for musicians

I agree there seems to be a heck of a lot of first time posts looking purely to use the Marketplace for a means to sell their gear. Personally I'd be particularly reluctant and wary buying off any new member with an exceptionally low post count, with no feedback experience nor had made the effort to have at least some dialogue elsewhere on the forum.

Perhaps prohibit new members access to the Marketplace until they have, say for talking sakes, a 50-post count. That way they are contributing to the community as a whole rather than just popping up, pinging in an advert and never to be seen again other than the occasional "BUMP".

Just my tuppence worth.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1445910630' post='2895363']
The one that really pisses me off "will travel 25 miles radius for petrol money"

If somebody want's to sell Kev, IMO, they need to be willing to show a little compromise AND put a big effort into it.
Asking for petrol money (especially in that instance, a fivers worth) is (again IMO) putting a barrier up to the sale.
Say I live 70 miles away and want to buy something. If I'm happy to drive 45 miles to meet up, the seller really should be prepared to drive 25 miles at no extra charge, to meet up.

Of course people can set whatever terms and charges they wish. But it might be an idea for them to look at it from a potential buyers point of view.

I'm hoping wholeheartedly I'm finished buying/trying/selling. To achieve that I will need to STOP LOOKING AT BLOODY PICTURES in the "Basses for sale" :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Completely agree about those kind of distances, and agree that if the buyer is travelling too then there should be no contribution expected.

However, if a buyer in Scotland wants me to deliver their bass to them ( I am in Warwickshire) as they don't trust couriers and they don't drive themselves , offering to do so for petrol money is imo perfectly acceptable.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1445955122' post='2895676']
Completely agree about those kind of distances, and agree that if the buyer is travelling too then there should be no contribution expected.

However, if a buyer in Scotland wants me to deliver their bass to them ( I am in Warwickshire) as they don't trust couriers and they don't drive themselves , offering to do so for petrol money is imo perfectly acceptable.
[/quote]

To be honest i think that's totally justified If i knew a person who wanted my bass and was willing to travel halfway to do it i'd be fair about it ...When people say from the outset ... Collection Only and there price is barely (adjusted for inflation) 20-40 quid below new price ... I've hit the back tab on there advert and i'm onto the next ad of interest. It'll be there next week ... month year ... and perhaps with a better price tag on it.

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='MoJo' timestamp='1445952134' post='2895626']
F) Karlfer is flooding the market :lol: :lol: :lol:
[/quote]

Cheeky :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1445955122' post='2895676']

[/quote]

Spot on Kev, couldn't agree more.
It's down to having sensible negotiation.

Sometimes folk don't do themselves any favours with the wording on their adverts.
"No offers" "Collection only" whilst setting out the terms from the off, will undoubtedly cost the interest of some potential buyers.
"Prefer collection" "might be prepared to talk about price" send out a much more positive vibe to potential buyers.
If they then look, and see good photos of a good bass at a reasonable price......................

I come back to the main point really. If you want to sell something you have to put the effort in and may need to make some small compromise.
I have an awful rep as a gear whore, but quite a lot of what I have done recently has involved trades and a little bit of money.
This is because I needed to shift two of my Ricks on and obviously couldn't do it here.
By taking various part ex's and then moving them on, I have finally got the money I wanted for the Rick's in the 1st place.
It took me a long time and 6 transactions, with quite a few compromises, but I got there in the end.

Now, back to the purdy piccys :lol:

I'm obviously a bit out of the loop on this stuff, as when I'm looking to buy gear being sold privately I won't usually consider approaching the seller unless I'm in a position to turn up in person with the asking price in cash, unless the advert explicitly offers postage. Sometimes sellers have kindly offered to drop things off if they're local and in certain circumstances I've offered the same when selling. But lately when advertising things for sale I've had a lot of potential buyers with what seems like a mammoth sense of entitlement, where I'm expected to deliver the item to them without compensation for less than the asking price and they seem offended when I decline to do this. I tend to price things at the low end of market value to begin with, so there comes a point where that just doesn't feel worth doing.

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1445880310' post='2895011']

A lot of the sellers also don't seem to be active in the BC community outside the "for sale" section either - you can come away with the impression that there are lot of EU-based trade sellers using BC as an outlet these days.

Jon.
[/quote]

They also seem to act as a team by bumping and bigging up each other's threads

I'm pretty demoralised with the marketplace TBH - expecting a "[i]fair price[/i]" for quality gear is a bit of a dream at the moment which leads to potential buyers coming in with low ball offers...and I've had a few, expecting a result. The other thing is thinking that I don't know what I've got - somebody once made me a ridiculous low offer on a MM Ray, telling me I had no chance of selling it cos of the colour (green) - it sold.

I'm prepared to wait for a sensible offer rather than burn myself.

I'm sure that there are many former Wal owners who sold when they weren't "flavour of the month" and now see similar items selling for thousands - there's a lesson there...

I think the BassChat market place has changed quite a bit since I've been here. The amp section maybe not so much but the bass section is dominated by high end gear it seems. There's very little in the £200-£500 bracket and less still in the under £100. There's also a considerable number of mainland European sellers, not a bad thing, but the reach of the site has definitely broadened.

There seemed to be considerably more trading and dealing in lower value basses a few years ago. You don't see many Squiers etc.

I've just bought Trace Elliot 300 watt combo off ebay for £130 the price on here was £180, also the comment "it's to heavy to deliver" is bollocks, I sold a Marshall MB4210 on ebay and got it delivered for £15, if you want the best price you've got to be prepared to put a bit of effort in and be willing to deliver it, if not except a lower price.
Oh yeah, I know selling on Ebay is more expensive but it only costs when you sell it not before and you've got a lot bigger market

Edited by PaulWarning