Why become a member? ×

Used gear market

Damonjames

Please feel free to delete if this has been done, but I did try a quick search to no avail.
What's up with the used gear market these days? Nothing seems to be shifting unless it's stupidly cheap or comes as part of a trade deal (as a potential buyer I'm in this position also). So what is it?
A) people have no cash
B) people expect too much for what they are selling
C) there is too much out there
D) people have too much stuff to justify bringing in something else?

For me it's a combination of A,B and D, I don't have bags of money, but even if I did, I couldn't justify bringing another bass in without shifting one out. As a buyer, I think some people are asking too much for what they have, but as a seller I appreciate not wanting to GIVE stuff away. I am just sat back watching it scratching my head!!!
Do we all just have too much stuff and are not willing to buy something unless it's an absolute steal???

[quote name='Damonjames' timestamp='1445877550' post='2894961']
...not willing to buy something unless it's an absolute steal???
[/quote]

Thats pretty much it... unless you're selling a bass that a buyer specifically wants and has searched for / been waiting for.

A bargain will attract a much larger pool of buyers obviously who might not otherwise have had any interest in the specific bass.

I always sell stuff at bargin prices to shift it on quick :)

Edited by CamdenRob

Having got a bass up for sale in the marketplace I think C is a biggie. Can't believe how quickly you disappear from the front page, and with the 36 hour bumping rule you really see how much else is available when you trawl through to find your own post!

I often think, when looking at 'for sale' posts, that the sellers really don't help themselves.

''Prefer not to post'

'Collection only'

'Wil post pictures later'

Missing off information that you know will be required, e.g. weight of bass.

No location mentioned. Even when it's 'collection only'!

Just sloppy, in my opinion. Wouldn't want to risk my time and cash on someone who can't put together a decent advert.

Edited by Len_derby

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1445878878' post='2894986']'Wil post pictures later' [/quote]

This gets me every time - why post the ad if you haven't got the pictures ready? Waiting another day or so before posting the full ad isn't going to kill you.

In terms of why the market place is how it is; elasticity, supply & demand, free market. All of the above. The quality products at suitable prices generally shift very quickly & so the threads disappear without much notice - the stuff that hangs around is generally doing so because it is not priced keenly enough.

Good advert.
Decent pictures.
Flexibilty in courier/meet up.
A price that is fair to both buyer and seller.

Too many look at Feebay prices and expect the same on here.
Feebay now, people basically try to cover the 13.4 % charges (inc carriage). Hence basses up for months in there.
Any £950 for basses that cost £700 15 years ago? Gi yer heid a shake.
If you look back at the popular quality instruments on here, you will see a consistence in prices THAT BASSES HAVE SOLD AT.
US Precision MM Sterling and Bongo usually SELL around £650/£700
US Jazz and MM Stingray usually SELL around £700/£750
If anybody wants more they will usually be in for a wait.

The one that really pisses me off "will travel 25 miles radius for petrol money"

I spent a couple of years away from BC, and the Marketplace seems to have changed an awful lot in that time. Aside from sellers' fees (which I have no particular problem with) there's now a hell of a lot more seriously high-end boutique stuff, and what feels like very little variety in the sub-£500 end of the market. Realistically that's the area that's interesting to me, and I'd suspect to a lot of other potential purchasers too.

A lot of the sellers also don't seem to be active in the BC community outside the "for sale" section either - you can come away with the impression that there are lot of EU-based trade sellers using BC as an outlet these days. I can't help wondering if that has pushed sellers of more modest gear towards the various FB groups that have sprung up.

Jon.

Edited by Bassassin

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1445880310' post='2895011']
I spent a couple of years away from BC, and the Marketplace seems to have changed an awful lot in that time. Aside from sellers' fees (which I have no particular problem with) there's now a hell of a lot more seriously high-end boutique stuff, and what feels like very little variety in the sub-£500 end of the market. Realistically that's the area that's interesting to me, and I'd suspect to a lot of other potential purchasers too.

A lot of the sellers also don't seem to be active in the BC community outside the "for sale" section either - you can come away with the impression that there are lot of EU-based trade sellers using BC as an outlet these days. I can't help wondering if that has pushed sellers of more modest gear towards the various FB groups that have sprung up.

Jon.
[/quote]

Spot on as ever Lothians Diplomatic Attache. :mellow:

Mind, on further thought, the one bit that really bugs me is " I only want back what I paid for it 3 years ago".

Rent free instument for 3 years? Good luck with that, but I know one buyer you've alienated :D

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1445880310' post='2895011']
A lot of the sellers also don't seem to be active in the BC community outside the "for sale" section either - you can come away with the impression that there are lot of EU-based trade sellers using BC as an outlet these days.
[/quote]

What he said.

I have been combing BC Marketplace (and various retailer websites) for a particular kind of bass, and I find myself slightly perturbed when all a European seller's posts are in the 'For Sale' sections. It's one thing to build up good feedback by sending the basses that other BC-ers have paid for, but it's quite another to take an active part in the forum and be a BC 'face'. I would much rather buy from someone in the latter category, quite apart from the issue of being able to try out the bass without troubling EasyJet.

The BC marketplace has been in the toilet for ages. Even things which I think are very reasonably priced seem to sit around for far too long. Can't tell you why but it's really irritating and it has put me off selling things on here in the first place.

Simple economics, more people selling than buying.

However, there's also a lot of folks living in cloud cuckoo land, bumping time and again gear that can be bought cheaper from dealers or eBay with warranty and/or buyer protection. Come with the growth I guess?

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1445878878' post='2894986']

''Prefer not to post'

'Collection only'

[/quote]

There is a big issue with couriers and lack of insurance though. I don't think any will insure a bass in transit, although I'd love to be proved wrong.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1445896340' post='2895240']
Simple economics, more people selling than buying.

However, there's also a lot of folks living in cloud cuckoo land, bumping time and again gear that can be bought cheaper from dealers or eBay with warranty and/or buyer protection. Come with the growth I guess?
[/quote]

This has been going on for ages also, but it's not what I am trying to get at. Take Karl's examples above, a sting at £750 seems to me to be a good deal, yet they are still hanging around for ages.
Could it be that we have just reached a point where there are too many instruments out there? I remember an interview with rob Deleo for stone temple pilots talking about the late 80's and being able to pick up a pre eb 3 bolt Ray for a coupe of hundred bucks because they were everywhere...
In reality, there is nothing special about most of these instruments, they are a standard production item, and anything in the 90's although being technically "old" don't have the same apeal and nostalgia as the stuff from the 60's

There is some seriously good value kit appearing on a regular basis. In addition there is a lot of really good quality 'budget' kit these days. This puts the squeeze on 'higher quality' kit. There is also a vast amount of kit around (not just BC). Officially the recession may be over however money is short, public sector pay freeze (cut in reality) has not helped. Concur with OP, [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A) people have no cash and [/font][/color][font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#282828"]C) there is too much out there. I will add E) quality / playability no longer costs. For me E) is the game changer: Most basses are becoming 'white goods'. CNC manufactured with immense quality control at basement prices. I have in my possession a Peavey milestone bass with EMGs - £110 s/h. I am hard pressed to see the quality / playability difference with my 'professional' USA and German basses. Bit like cars these days, I used to buy German, Swedish then Japanese. Now I buy 5 or 7 year 100K + miles warranty with most of the quality and all of the safety.[/color][/font]

Edited by 3below

The market is still screwed from the financial crash and people just don't want to spend any money.

I've got 2 basses, 2 amps and a cab that I'd like to sell, but the market isn't good enough at the moment, so I'm in no hurry.

Then again, sellers don't help themselves when they drop the price too quickly. That's a certain way to kill the sale. Everyone will just sit tight and wait for more price drops.

Guest bassman7755

Its partly a liquidity issue, the BC market has a vastly smaller population than say ebay so the odds of someone out there wanting that exact thing at that time are low so you often have to price things at what people are willing to pay for an impulse purchase.

Edited by bassman7755

The one that really pisses me off "will travel 25 miles radius for petrol money"

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1445897883' post='2895271']
Out of curiosity, why?
[/quote]

If somebody want's to sell Kev, IMO, they need to be willing to show a little compromise AND put a big effort into it.
Asking for petrol money (especially in that instance, a fivers worth) is (again IMO) putting a barrier up to the sale.
Say I live 70 miles away and want to buy something. If I'm happy to drive 45 miles to meet up, the seller really should be prepared to drive 25 miles at no extra charge, to meet up.

Of course people can set whatever terms and charges they wish. But it might be an idea for them to look at it from a potential buyers point of view.

I'm hoping wholeheartedly I'm finished buying/trying/selling. To achieve that I will need to STOP LOOKING AT BLOODY PICTURES in the "Basses for sale" :lol: :lol:

Edited by karlfer

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1445897744' post='2895267']
There is some seriously good value kit appearing on a regular basis. In addition there is a lot of really good quality 'budget' kit these days. This puts the squeeze on 'higher quality' kit. There is also a vast amount of kit around (not just BC). Officially the recession may be over however money is short, public sector pay freeze (cut in reality) has not helped. Concur with OP, [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]A) people have no cash and [/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#282828]C) there is too much out there. I will add E) quality / playability no longer costs. For me E) is the game changer: Most basses are becoming 'white goods'. CNC manufactured with immense quality control at basement prices. I have in my possession a Peavey milestone bass with EMGs - £110 s/h. I am hard pressed to see the quality / playability difference with my 'professional' USA and German basses. Bit like cars these days, I used to buy German, Swedish then Japanese. Now I buy 5 or 7 year 100K + miles warranty with most of the quality and all of the safety.[/color][/font]
[/quote]Great post.
I recently bought an Aguilar GS112NT from feebay for £260 plus a 60 mile round trip for pick up.Mint, boxed, shop use only. Had an interesting conversation with the seller, a retailer who'd had it in his window long enough to get fed up with not shifting it, about how manufacturers and their online sellers in Europe are happy to keep prices inflated for the UK market.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1445897033' post='2895261']

There is a big issue with couriers and lack of insurance though. I don't think any will insure a bass in transit, although I'd love to be proved wrong.
[/quote]

Hi Myke,

fyi, I shipped a bass last week from Germany to the Czech Republic using dpd (deutsche paket dienst) who, I believe, also operate in the UK. They upped their automatic insurance value from €520,- up to €1000,- for an additional charge of €11,- and they knew it was a bass.

Cheers
Paul

Edited by SICbass