Why become a member? ×

Forgive me for I have sinned

gapiro

Dearest all of the forgiving General Discussion

On Saturday we were playing at a local music festival alongside the likes of Adam Ant, Sam Bailey and Jocelyn Brown. As the timings were all a bit tight and so, to save time I used the Ashdown 8x10 on the stage, rather than setting up a stand etc and putting my Markbass 2x10s on stage. (They were running the DI out of my Head anyway, so made no difference to outbound sound)

It was the sweetest sound i've ever had out of my bass.

So Please forgive for now having GAS over something that is completely impractical (car is a honda jazz....) and something I can't afford.

Regards

(ps, any tips for curing this GAS would be appreciated, I haven't had GAS for ages, althought it has started recently with Double Bass')

Edited by gapiro

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1441628445' post='2860346']
Have you considered Barefaced cabs?
[/quote]

Good call - get two Super12s/Big Twins (possibly need a special lead if the amp runs at 4ohms) plenty of sound, a wall of it in fact. I`ve only used my two Super12s once, at a rehearsal. Just filled the room with bass. To the point where it was too much in fact. Can only really use the pair on very big stages.

[quote name='kevvo66' timestamp='1441649762' post='2860584']
So your selling the Honda Jazz ? To buy the bass cabs , I'm confused ��
[/quote]
That was the suggestion made by other guys, sell my jazz, buy a trashed estate car and buy an 8x10 with the proceeds. Save rest of money into private healthcare for back injury.
The sin is that I'm covetting another mans rig!

I use a Gen 2 Compact/Midget stack which is pretty much ideal for the bands I play in. I was briefly tempted by a two compact stack but after several discussions with Alex settled on my current setup and have not looked back. Nothing I have heard at other gigs compares - imho of course :) - and bearing in mind I'm not particularly after the full 'vintage' experience.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1441628245' post='2860341']
8x10"s can be very cheap secondhand, as I reckon just about every bass player buys one at some point and then realises they can never be bothered to haul it around for gigs.
[/quote]

This ^^
I had an Ashdown 810 for a while and it did sound amazing.
But carrying it to and from gigs, even with a Volvo estate, was a massive ball ache.
It had to go in the end, replaced by an Aguilar GS410 from BC's own Richardd, which in fairness is hardly a poor replacement...

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1441627688' post='2860331']
...any tips for curing this GAS would be appreciated...
[/quote]

Build your own mockup of an 8x10 by buying a used wardrobe and filling it with concrete. Every morning when you get up, take the 8x10 downstairs. When you go to bed at night, take it upstairs. Your lust for an 8x10 will soon die away, as will your testicles.

The bassists of my previous 2 bands, plus current band* where I'm not in that role, have all owned SVT 8x10s. I've gone the lightweight route because I've had enough of lugging the bloody things around and I wasn't even using them!

* Am trying to talk him into lightweight too. Only problem is that the drummer doesn't believe in "less is more" when it comes to kit either. :rolleyes:

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1442234423' post='2865322']
The bassists of my previous 2 bands, plus current band* where I'm not in that role, have all owned SVT 8x10s. I've gone the lightweight route because I've had enough of lugging the bloody things around and I wasn't even using them!

* Am trying to talk him into lightweight too. Only problem is that the drummer doesn't believe in "less is more" when it comes to kit either. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Think yourself lucky if you didn't get lumbered helping the keyboard player with his Leslie cab...