Why become a member? ×

Non-bass players who love playing bass

Annoying Twit

There are quite a few musicians who are primarily known for playing other instruments, but will also play bass. E.g. Steve Winwood and Bob Mould who both IMHO do a good job of it playing appropriate stuff for their genres. And Tom Petty who, IMHO, needs to be more adventurous.

But, are there many non-bass players who say that they really love playing bass? I saw Andy Partridge from XTC saying that he loved playing bass (http://xtcbackporch.forumup.com/about60-0-xtcbackporch.html) which he does on his demos.

George Harrison from a certain 60's scouse quartet was quite a proficient bassist. Take a listen to She Said She Said and Old Brown Shoe.
John Lennon hated playing bass as you can hear on the Long and Winding Road while Macca was on piano he really f***ed it up!
Paul Weller and Lindsey Buckingham were both bassists who migrated to guitar.

* Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood claim to enjoy a bit of four string action.

* IIRC Bryan Adams switched to bass for at least one tour.

* Sheryl Crow has been seen toting a bass

* When not scourging his electric viola, Mr John Cale played bass in the Velvet Underground

* Elvis Presley is credited with playing electric bass on his recording of 'You're so square' and chatted almost exclusively about bass guitars with Paul McCartney on the occasion they met.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1441354761' post='2858135']
How can you doubt he was playing it?
[/quote]

Sure he's playing it. Though some of the guitar work did have intienation problems.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJMyXxiBR1Q"]https://www.youtube....h?v=mJMyXxiBR1Q[/url]

I'm a non-bass player (I drum...) who loves (trying to...) play bass, and also (modest...) guitar and (very poor...) keys. If I had a violin I'd at least try it out. I've done, in a quite distant past, a couple of dep variety gigs on bass, and held down the role in my present group until our youngest took over and I went back to drums, so I'm not completely useless at it. It's easy really, though. I've watched others playing bass and I do just as they do: throw my hands and fingers at the strings. They're simply a bit luckier than I am, that's all. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1441293631' post='2857688']
* Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood claim to enjoy a bit of four string action.
[/quote]

He's just said this in 'Keith Richards: Under the Influence', he said that he loves the bass, and that he's probably a better bass player than he is a guitarist.

Neil Finn played bass at a concert I saw on Monday.