Why become a member? ×

Another Motörhead show ends early due to Lemmy's health issues.

The Admiral

Anyone who is an admirer of Lemmy's work, or even just his persona as indestructible rock and roll icon will be concerned about this. Another walk off three songs in. I hope he makes the right choice about whether to continue the tour, and while there is the obvious option of keeping going until he falls off the perch, I would imagine he will have a better future if he slows down a bit. Not in his nature though I suspect. I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping his health improves.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-09-02/motorhead-lemmy-stop-show-texas-cant-do-it

Rocking till he drops is obviously what he'd love to do, but if he keeps having to walk off stage 15 minutes into gigs surely even he can appreciate that it's not worth it. All that's going to happen is that he'll p1ss off more and more fans and cost them money. Rock'n'roll cred is all very well, but not at the expense of the fans surely?
And yes, FWIW I wish him all the best and hope he's soon on the mend. It's never nice to see a legend faltering.

I was gonna start a similar thread, but beaten to it ;)
Lemmy is the man . But 3 gigs halted/ cancelled within a week must tell him and us something .
Obviously , we want him to be here forever .

On the practical side ;I think he should take a break for a year or so ( if possible ). Then do a few farewell shows in the UK Europe and the states . Not a tour as such , as tbh I don't think he could do it anymore .
Wishing him well..

What is happening to the fans that have paid good money for three songs ? I feel for Lemmy, but you can't keep letting fans down. If it was a one off, I'm sure people would forgive the band, but if it keeps happening, people won't risk buying tickets.
I wish Lemmy a speedy recovery , cos he is a legend!

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1441198511' post='2856845']
I think one of the main issues is that Motörhead is literally Lemmy's life. If he can't do what he loves so dearly (playing live), then that's a big and hard hit to take. If he hangs up his stage boots it could also be the start of a rapid decline in his last stretch. All very sad news IMO. Born To Lose, Live To Win. You'll always be a winner in my eyes Lemmy. Long Live Kilmister.
[/quote]

Very much this! He's lived his whole career on his own terms. What's cultivated image to most artists is just the way he rocks to him. If it was all image he wouldn't have allowed his fans see him walking on stage with a stick like he just did. It's a shame to see an icon such as him fade out rather than go out with a bang - but as always it's him - doing it his way.
The only thing that possibly concerns me, is that Motorhead has in recent years become more of a corporate machine than it ever was. It's largely been a good thing, profitable merchandising, monies coming in went where they should, royalties are more controlled - I just hope he's not being manipulated into keeping that going in his weakened state.

To be fair, the gig in question was in 110F heat at high altitude with thinner air. Most younger musicians would have trouble dealing with that - Lemmy's pushing 70 and the fact that he got up there at all is testament to his fortitude.

I wish the old bugger well - may he keep rocking well into his 70s. But at that age you've got to pace yourself and pick your targets well.

Just read this on the NME site. Very upsetting indeed.

I just hope it ends well - Lem back on his feet doing what he does best - even if it means touring a little less.

Lem is one of the reasons I picked up a bass, and remains so. A great rock 'n' roll band - pure and simple.

On a happier note, the new album, 'Bad Magic' is awesome. It's certainly one of my faves of the last 10 years. They sound like a band 40 years younger.

Maybe he could spend more time in the studio? I can't see it though, as Lem himself once said, if you're not gigging, you can't call yourself a band!

Edited by spongebob

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1441223798' post='2857137']
I watched my dad die from Emphysema and cardiac problems five months ago .........and I tell you watching Lemmy in that vid brought it all back.
The wheezy breathing, the weight loss ,skin colour and the shaking hands it's all there.
I hope I'm wrong but he doesn't look a well man.
[/quote]

I thought the very same thing when I watched that video. I know he had a coronary bypass recently, and that breathing is definitely showing all the signs of emphysema which, after the lifestyle he led for the last 50 years, shouldn't really come as a huge surprise. Doesn't make it any less tragic though.

Recently seen three people I've known through bands pass away suddenly. They were also partial to amphetamines in their twenties, so it's not surprising that Lemmy's health seems to be suffering after a much longer use of similar drugs. Like Billy Apple above, Lemmy is the bassist I most admire and while I understand he wants to keep gigging I fear he's not going to last long if he keeps at it. That said, probably better to burn out than stop gigging and fizzle out in misery.

Edited by chriswareham

The tour has now been cancelled. Saxon stepped into to headline at short notice on the most recent gig.

It would seem everything is on hold until Lemmy is significantly more well.

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-09-03/motorhead-cancel-live-shows-until-further-notice

Edited by The Admiral

To be honest I think it's pretty amazing he's still going given the way he's lived his life, and good on him for keeping at it. I get the impression that altitude at one of the gigs was the catalyst for this specific problem, and given that even elite athletes can be hit quite severely with both altitude-related underperformance and altitude-related illness - even at relatively moderate levels such as those in Colorado cities - it's no surprise he's been hit.

I used to love Motorhead back in the day. I'm no great fan of their's now, but have to say that Lemmy made me smile hugely in the recent movie when he compared what "most bass players do" with "what Lemmy does". Monstrous sound, and not bad playing either, a Ric played like a rhythm guitar!

Shared a few beers with him in around 1982 in a bar in Holland Park, top guy and really friendly and warm even at the height of his fame. I wish him all the best and hope to see him on stage again soon, albeit in perhaps a less physically stressful environment!

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1441219379' post='2857089']
Just watched this on youtube, take a break Lemmy.
[media]http://youtu.be/cX7P6c0VwBQ[/media]
[/quote]
Oh good god. I can't watch that all the way through. What a sad, sad sight -- it's like watching a favourite uncle, who always used to lark about with you when you were a nipper, now struggling to get out of a chair. :(
I wish him a speedy (pardon the unintentional pun) recovery.

I can recommend Lemmy's autobiography very much. That guy has lived the Rock and roll lifestyle to the hilt and I wish him the best of health but to be honest, if you burn the candle at both ends, something's gotta give. Maybe it's time for him to take it easier. Maybe one off shows instead of tours. Just a thought cos I'm sure lots of people would be disappointed !

[quote name='ubit' timestamp='1441279766' post='2857459']
I can recommend Lemmy's autobiography very much. That guy has lived the Rock and roll lifestyle to the hilt and I wish him the best of health but to be honest, if you burn the candle at both ends, something's gotta give. Maybe it's time for him to take it easier. Maybe one off shows instead of tours. Just a thought cos I'm sure lots of people would be disappointed !
[/quote]

I can also recommend his biography- - I sat down to read it and ended up reading the whole book in one day. Just couln't put it down.

I've seen Motorhead 3 times in recent years and was disappointed when the tour was cancelled twice a couple of years back due to Lemmy's ill health. I have tickets for next year's gig and hope he is going to be well enough to do them. They are very loud but I love the music.

It's getting to the stage when a lot of these great performers are going to be touring for the last time - I'm also going to see Jerry Lee Lewis next week as I was too young to appreciate him when I was young and this is the last chance I'll get to see him.

I was also fortunate to see the Frantic 4 lineup of Status Quo twice and they were fantastic, Even though Alan Lancaster is looking rather frail these days he still put on a great performance.

I'm also really looking forward to seeing Saxon as I kept missing them when they were in Scotland so I'm hoping everyone will be fighting fit come January.