Why become a member? ×

Best Prog Rock album ever?

Bilbo

For my money, the essential difference with prog. was that, unlike most other genres, it was essentially 'English', not blues based and not dance orientated. Adding stuff around epic fantasy, mellotrons and long solos was peripheral. It is music that is generally less 'groove' orientated and more cerebral. The fact that there was no expectation that I would have to dance to it was a major attraction :lol:

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1439146174' post='2840402']
For my money, the essential difference with prog. was that, unlike most other genres, it was essentially 'English', not blues based and not dance orientated. Adding stuff around epic fantasy, mellotrons and long solos was peripheral. It is music that is generally less 'groove' orientated and more cerebral. The fact that there was no expectation that I would have to dance to it was a major attraction :lol:
[/quote]

The lack of blues influences was the main thing that I loved about prog, that and the "Englishness" of it, the same reasons I love traditional English folk music.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1439146174' post='2840402']
[/quote]

One of the reasons Genesis appeal to me more than (for example) Yes, are the soul influences brought to the mix by Gabriel and Collins (and occasionally Banks). Of course it's all wrapped up in something quintessentially British (sic), but that warmth and groove really spice up the mix to my ears.

Not the best prog album ever but I still enjoy listening to this: 'Remember The Future' by Nektar. There is an absolutely sublime guitar solo in it around 27 or so mins in - that passage is a bit Floyd-ish but that's no bad ting.

[media]http://youtu.be/u1i24LNre4U[/media]

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='ForestPoetry' timestamp='1439146764' post='2840409']
Discipline by King Crimson
[/quote]
+ another 1 (more cheating, since I've already voted for Yessongs!)

Saw KC at Hammersmith Palais when Discipline came out. One of the best gigs I've ever been to in my life.

Edited by GrammeFriday

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1439128869' post='2840229']I would also class Magazine as a prog band.
[/quote]
Never would have thought of Magazine as a prog band (not sure I do now!), what makes you think of them as prog?

I've seen early Simple Minds included in prog rock conversations but never Magazine.

Edited to say, I've just revisited The Light Pours Out Of Me and I'm shifting my stance!

Edited by Old Man Riva

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1439142980' post='2840372']
We'll agree to disagree then. And um, thanks for pointing that out dad.
[/quote]

Not sure why the attitude towards me on this topic when few others had the same thoughts as myself ?
If i've taken it the wrong way my apologies.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1439062244' post='2839758']
Surely a live album and a compilation are different things? We can nominate whatever we want.
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1439063107' post='2839768']
Right. If you're allowing 'prog-rock' in the first place, anything goes, surely?? :lol:
[/quote]

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1439146729' post='2840408']
One of the reasons Genesis appeal to me more than (for example) Yes, are the soul influences brought to the mix by Gabriel and Collins (and occasionally Banks)...
[/quote]

I'd agree with that and add another example of Gentle Giant who had roots as an R&B/soul band.

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1439151911' post='2840453']
Never would have thought of Magazine as a prog band (not sure I do now!), what makes you think of them as prog?

I've seen early Simple Minds included in prog rock conversations but never Magazine.

Edited to say, I've just revisited The Light Pours Out Of Me and I'm shifting my stance!
[/quote]

Listen to "Back to Nature" from "Secondhand Daylight" - totally prog, even the bass part sounds like Chris Squire.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1439128869' post='2840229']
I would also class Magazine as a prog band.
[/quote]

Big +1000 to that I have always thought the same

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1439158598' post='2840507']
Listen to "Back to Nature" from "Secondhand Daylight" - totally prog, even the bass part sounds like Chris Squire.
[/quote]

Better still listen to the whole Album & try "Correct Use of Soap" while your at it :-)

B

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1439069217' post='2839813']
All the ones I haven't heard will form my new "to buy" list.

No-one mentioned any Van Der Graff Generator yet? Pawn Hearts then :)

Edit: How can you possibly pick a "best"?!
[/quote]

You can't pick a "best" but it is useful for some listening suggestions.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1439202712' post='2840702']
No Crimson on Spotify!!
[/quote]

No I was going to post that earlier in the thread -- Really annoying isn't it!

Give Tarkus time to grow on you (try Brain Salad Surgery & Trilogy too!)

Interesting to hear what you make of Magazine?

From reading your stuff you are a Jazzer so surely for you the Ultimate Prog band is [controversial] Return to Forever!!!! [/controversial]

Brendan

Edited by Sonic_Groove

Return To Forever were an odd band because they started quite Latin Jazzy and moved into a strange post Mahavishnu Jazz Rock thang. I think there is certainly some proggy elements to it (The Jester and The Tyrant comes to mind) and Al Di Meola has often walked a fine line but I consider most of it to be fusion rather than prog. A lot of it got a bit naff but some of it is pretty impressive.

Don't have a 'best ever', more a number of equal-bests. Most have already been posted but surprisingly no mention of The Nice - their version of America still blows me away. Remember seeing them live during Davy O'Lyst's brief spell as guitarist - his wah-wah-pedalling rendition of Little Arabella was brilliant!