Why become a member? ×

Best Prog Rock album ever?

Bilbo

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1439071531' post='2839832']

TBH, I've never listened to any of the post Fish material. So Mick Pointer is the drummer I associate with them.
The last album I bought of their's was La Gazza Ladra (I bought every one prior to it too).
[/quote]

Mick Pointer is only on the first album. The rest is Ian Mosley.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1439101465' post='2839901']
Mick Pointer is only on the first album. The rest is Ian Mosley.
[/quote]
Hah! I should've googled first.
Despite me listening to them throughout my teenage years in the 80s, I could only tell you who the drummer was from listening to Margaret.
I like Mosley's drumming then. If he's the worst drummer in prog rock, then prog rock has a pretty decent requisite. :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1439104998' post='2839921']
Hah! I should've googled first.
Despite me listening to them throughout my teenage years in the 80s, I could only tell you who the drummer was from listening to Margaret.
I like Mosley's drumming then. If he's the worst drummer in prog rock, then prog rock has a pretty decent requisite. :)
[/quote]

I've just always found him tentative and skittish. And those random 'FLOBBADOBBADOBBA' rolls he throws in set my teeth on edge...

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1439041240' post='2839587']

That's the first time I've seen Jazz From Hell described as progressive.
[/quote]

+1. IMHO I don't really think of anything by FZ that I could label prog, maybe Billy The Mountain or Inca Roads perhaps

I have a frustrating relationship to Prog. I like the concept, but find that not enough of it grabs my attention. When I play Prog albums (I've got 'A Curious Feeling' playing as I'm typing) I find that it's all very well done, but the music just doesn't grab me. I do like the idea of albums with extended pieces, e.g. Pink Floyd's "Animals" and "Wish You Were Here" both of which are utterly brilliant from start to finish. When I listen to early Genesis, there are some bits I like, but I find that for me the album drags a bit. I don't mean to criticise the albums, it's more likely my attention span that's at fault. Genesis were too Prog for me, then on the Genesis album they were (IMHO) intelligent pop, and then after that album I liked some songs (e.g. No Son of Mine), but not the albums overall. Gentle Giant was mentioned in another thread, and I checked them out. But again, they're too proggy for me. I do like 90210 era Yes, but like Genesis they were much more of a pop/rock band by then. I really like all of Peter Gabriel's solo albums (particularly Up), and therefore you'd expect that I would like "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway", but not really. Inca Roads is one of my favourite FZ songs, and is from my favourite FZ album "One Size Fits All". Perhaps "Andy" (my second favourite song on that album) is also proggy, but overall the album is more song based than what I think of as prog. I think it's mainly the melodies. On quite a few classic prog albums, I find that there isn't enough melodic payoff, the melodies seem to just drag a bit, like a noodling solo. The songs I like have more defined and structured melodies, I think.

There's a New Zealand band from my youth called "Ragnarok" and I really like parts of their album "Nooks", but nowadays I find the lyrics of the song "Captain Fag" ... a bit of a clumsy stereotype. (I don't know their intention, so I won't say homophobic).

I post the song "The Volsung" as an example of Prog that I really like, and wonder if prog-heads could point me in the direction of similar. I'd like to know of albums like Pink Floyd's "Animals" and WYWH, but guess that I don't need to post excerpts of those as anyone able to answer my question will know them already :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCN1FXUnFP4[/media]

I'll post Inca Roads as well, as perhaps that's not so well known.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYxaoRVofE8[/media]

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1439061557' post='2839753']
Second's Out's live and therefore a compilation - not allowed. It isn't in the right running order either.
[/quote]

Think the OP's title was "Best Prog Album Ever.
No mention whether live, compilation or whatever.
Its surely about what album you actually prefer.
Some of the albums the tracks were taken from i found boring and didn't buy them but when you take the best tracks and make it live its shows exactly how good Genesis were in those days.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1439071450' post='2839829']
The best thing about this thread is being reminded of stuff that you'd forgotten about.

I know live albums have kind of been 'excluded', but; Bursting Out.

Good to see some more up to date stuff too; Spock's Beard. Steve Wilson has just been touring with guys that I think are stars on their respective instruments: Nick Beggs and Dave Kilminster.
[/quote]

Nick Beggs has to be a younger version of Tony Levin and has been doing lots of session work with various bands. Very versatile player.

Annoying Twit :-

Have a listen to Eloy, Big Big Train, The Sun Travellers and see if any of them are what you are looking for. ??

https://youtu.be/86mAyo8MEyo?list=PL6AvfJ1w-QfaRfWr6KXeX8NZ4stpEekxE

https://youtu.be/Mfem_VRimoY?list=PLlTTPGp-ITaLyMQqdQ5qxDpCXdi4FGM55

http://www.broadjam.com/artists/songs.php?artistID=72083&mediaID=480727

Hopefully the links work - i'm not an expert in this stuff.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

Thanks Dave. I think I'll make this coming work week a prog-fest, listening to more of the Tony Banks album, your suggestions, and any suggestions that others make. I've got to go out now, and prog is something that I think needs to be concentrated on more than is possible on the move.

EDIT: The links all work.

Edited by Annoying Twit

So further to some of the earlier comments how [i]are [/i]we defining "prog/progressive rock" here? Because if we're going by the original definition, I think both [b]Hawkwind'[/b]s eponymous début, and [b]Quintessence'[/b]s eponymous third album, are up there with the best of them. If we can consider Deep Purple, and indeed Blackmore's Rainbow to be "progressive" rather than "hard rock/heavy metal" then [i]In Rock[/i] and [i]Rising[/i] are close to my heart.

But if I have to play it safe...well, any of Camel's first four albums, [i]Music in a Doll's House [/i]by Family, [i]Dancing Madly Backwards [/i]by Captain Beyond...I don't know, is the short answer.

(Also: not necessarily a favourite, but would you consider [i]Six [/i]by Mansun to be prog-rock? Found myself revisiting it quite frequently of late, and unlike their other releases, it's definitely more than "just another '90s indie album.")

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1439126031' post='2840191']
....but would you consider [i]Six [/i]by Mansun to be prog-rock?
[/quote]

Absolutely I would.

I cannot listen to much of the 70s prog I loved for years anymore, it bores me to death.

Six, however, is an album I still play regularly. It ticks all the Prog boxes for me but doesn't sound like it was made by a bunch of drippy upper middle class university boys.

I would also class Magazine as a prog band.

[quote name='Meddle' timestamp='1438979858' post='2839227']
Voyage of the Acolyte by Steve Hackett. It has songs with titles like 'Hands of the Priestess, Part I' and '"Shadow of the Hierophant'. It doesn't get much more prog than that!

[/quote]

I also rate this highly.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1439126031' post='2840191']
So further to some of the earlier comments how [i]are [/i]we defining "prog/progressive rock" here?
[/quote]

Defining characteristics of prog:

abstract/fantasy lyrics
guitar and keyboard unison arpeggios/melodies
odd meter time sigs (other than 3's)
girls would never voluntary listen to it

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1439110663' post='2839967']
Think the OP's title was "Best Prog Album Ever.
No mention whether live, compilation or whatever.
Its surely about what album you actually prefer.
Some of the albums the tracks were taken from i found boring and didn't buy them but when you take the best tracks and make it live its shows exactly how good Genesis were in those days.

Dave
[/quote]We'll agree to disagree then. And um, thanks for pointing that out dad.

Edited by spectoremg