Why become a member? ×

Best Prog Rock album ever?

Bilbo

I have just re-discovered Tony Bank's album 'A Curious Feeling' - based on the book Flowers for Algernon. I had this on cassette 1,000 years ago and always loved it but forgot it. Just looked it up on youtube (it is not on Spotify). I love Tony Banks's writing and found that the Genesis songs I liked the most (One For The Vine, Guide Vocal, Evidence of Autumn etc) were almost always his but this album is something else. It is perfect end to end. If I had written it, I would have had to stop. It's the 'To Kill A Mockingbird' of Prog!!

Vocalist Kim Beacon (I think there are one or two instrumentals). The vocals are an important element to the album. My kid brother always says that the trouble with prog is that, with the exception of Genesis and Yes, the vocalists are all sh**. This album is a massive exception. Beacon's vocals are exquisite.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1438961514' post='2839025']
Vocalist Kim Beacon (I think there are one or two instrumentals). The vocals are an important element to the album. My kid brother always says that the trouble with prog is that, with the exception of Genesis and Yes, the vocalists are all sh**. This album is a massive exception. Beacon's vocals are exquisite.
[/quote]

That goes some way to defining the perennial question, "what is Prog?". Lots of keyboards and a sh** vocalist. B)

[quote name='jonnythenotes' timestamp='1438962116' post='2839035']
Best prog album of all time.....Larks Tongues In Aspic. One of the worlds greatest bass players also is the lead vocalist.. Check it out.
[/quote]

I was wondering if post-Sinfield KC were prog. That incarnation certainly didn't have a sh** singer ;) But in my opinion the best album would be Red.

I'll need to give it a listen but at the moment my favourite is Fragile by Yes. It's been my favourite album for the past 10 years at least

I'm always looking out for new old stuff. I can't find anything new these days that excites me. Even the Chili Peppers newer stuff doesn't do anything for me and I have been a huge Chilis fan for the past 23 years

Edited by Delberthot

I'd have to add another vote for CTTE as it's been close to my heart for more than four decades, but I've been listening to a lot of Van der Graaf Generator and Peter Hammill recently and I'd say that both Pawn Hearts and H To He Who Am The Only One are definite contenders.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1438962876' post='2839043']
I'll need to give it a listen but at the moment my favourite is Fragile by Yes. It's been my favourite album for the past 10 years at least[/quote]
I can't get my head (or ears) around Close To The Edge, it does absolutely nothing for me... Fragile, on the other hand, I love..

[quote name='Sonic_Groove' timestamp='1438967809' post='2839094']
To play safe I would go for Close To The Edge. But I do love Tarkus & Brain Salad Surgery

All this was embarrassing in the late 70's when I was a post-punk!!![/quote]
Always good to remember that a lot of punks were rock/prog fans before punk came along. Most punk bands too - Mick Jones was a rock fan; The Pistols used to do Faces covers in rehearsals etc (Matlock ended up IN the Faces).

I subscribe to the Danny Baker theory that it wasn't prog that sparked punk; more bands like Queen, Sad Cafe, ELO etc.. When did anyone (other than if you were a fan and heard the records) hear Yes, ELP, King Crimson, Camel? Queen et al were all available on the radio and available to all.

Danny Baker is a wise man..