Why become a member? ×

50 Great Bassists

Hobbayne

It's just a list, not a definitive list as it is always going to be subjective, to me Stuart Morrow (original New Model Army) has got to be one of the most creative bass players I have ever heard but if Nathan East's style is your bag you may well listen to Morrows work and just think it a noise!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1435413407' post='2808569']
It does say The 50 [i]Greatest[/i] Bass Players.
[/quote]

OK. I missed that bit.

In that case. . . .what? Mike Rutherford (and about half a dozen others) before Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Nate Watts, David Hood, Cornell C Williams and George Porter Jr!!

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1435414407' post='2808580']
OK. I missed that bit.

In that case. . . .what? Mike Rutherford (and about half a dozen others) before Paul Chambers, Ron Carter, Nate Watts, David Hood, Cornell C Williams and George Porter Jr!!
[/quote]
and Jimmy Blanton etc etc etc

These lists are guaranteed to cause an argument! I won't argue the travesty that Jaco is so far down the list. Or Chris Squire.

But what does strike me is how much it's skewed to the fashion of the day, whenever these sort of lists are made.

Also sadly, it bears almost no relation to popular music today.... unfortunately we are the tuba players of this generation.

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1435416835' post='2808603']
It's a list of lists, compiled from 11 or 12 internet surveys, possibly the laziest journalism I can recall.
[/quote]

Agreed, and that on top of these kind of surveys both parochial and merely a list of people/items that the kind of people who respond have vaguely heard of...

The list is no different from a Channel 4 prog populated by talking heads, failed comedians and game show hosts who haven't a clue what they're talking about. We all have our preferences for all sorts of reasons but my favourites don't have a claim above anyone else's faves.