Why become a member? ×

Dealing with heckling!

Weststarx

Hi Guys,

We've just booked a gig for next week due to a cancellation but been warned by the band that cancelled that there is always one lady that goes every week and likes to heckle the bands.

Personally I have never had anyone heckle me in any band I've been in, so I'm a little unsure how to deal with it!

Apparently her favourite line is "Get on with it!" in between songs.

Any advice on how to cleverly deal with a heckler?

Thanks

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1434749793' post='2802614']
[/quote]

In this case, practice leaving only a second or two between songs.
Otherwise say something obliquely insulting such as, 'Mum, I told you not to come to our gigs any more!'.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434750061' post='2802619']
In this case, practice leaving only a second or two between songs.
Otherwise say something obliquely insulting such as, 'Mum, I told you not to come to our gigs any more!'.
[/quote]

Haha or refer to her as 'Grandma' that would be killer!

A gig I recently played, we were being not so much heckled but interrupted, some guy had had too much to drink & was being a bit of a tit. Someone shouted to start playing, so we couldn't hear him anymore.

The heckler then tried to grab the mic during the next song - an audience member promptly grabbed it off him, put it back & said to his face, in no uncertain terms, 'F*** OFF.'.

I once played a gig in a big, crowded, sweaty, venue, where after each song a woman shouted, 'you're sh*t, you're sh*t!'. Eventually, after about 4 or 5 songs the singer had enough and shouted back, 'Well if you think we're sh*t f*** off then!' to which she replied 'Oh I wasn't calling you sh*t'.

Who she was calling sh*t, we never found out?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1434752694' post='2802649']
Well my mum is getting on for 80, but whatever works for you... :D
[/quote]

Ah well I'm 22!

Thanks for these suggestions guys, keep em coming so I have an arsenal of comebacks should I ever need them ahah!

Edited by Weststarx

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1434749963' post='2802616']
If she can't put any more effort into her heckling than "get on with it" I'd just ignore her.
[/quote]

Ignoring hecklers is usually the best policy. If they're really ruining the gig, you could try focusing the room's attention on them - when they lose their anonymity that's often enough to freak them out into silence. Obviously bands don't like heckers, but audiences don't like them either and will very much be on your side.

I'd do the opposite. Instead of trying to heckle back, build a rapport with her.
We had a lady who was being a bit irritating. Singer invited her onstage & gave her a dance, then handed her maracas to play for the rest of the song.
We then took a short break (to make sure she didn't keep playing) & she enjoyed the rest of the set.

Not playing in Milton Keynes are you, Weststarx? That`s a popular heckle up there. To be honest, if that`s all someone is doing, ignore it, or strike up a rapport with the audience saying something like "she loves us she does, can`t wait for more".

Or you could decide within the band that you`ll accept her doing this 3 times, but once she`s done that, immediately after the next song, as soon as you`ve finished, everyone in the band who has a mic shouts "get on with it" as loudly as they can. Then give her a knowing look, you`ve got more volume than she`ll ever have.

We`re quite lucky in our band, we dedicate a song to anyone who heckles, as we have one called W*nker. Invariably the rest of the audience join in and said heckler looks rather upset.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1434749793' post='2802614']
Hi Guys,

We've just booked a gig for next week due to a cancellation but been warned by the band that cancelled that there is always one lady that goes every week and likes to heckle the bands.

Personally I have never had anyone heckle me in any band I've been in, so I'm a little unsure how to deal with it!

Thanks
[/quote]

if that's all she does... ignore her.

But, perhaps she has a point? Don't spend too long between songs, avoid silences and don't talk too much... really, get on with it ;) Maybe that other band does all that!

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1434782455' post='2802724']
write a song called 'get on with it' , every time she shouts it , play a few bars , by the end of the gig it will either be a good laugh or someone will have been kicked out, either you the the heckler :D
[/quote]

Beat me to it :)

Wait until she shouts and then play the next song at double tempo. If she calls it between every song, your set will be over in 30 minutes, pick up the money and get an early night. You're just giving the punters what they asked for, after all ;-)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1434800341' post='2802897']
She might have a point.
[/quote]

Most bands I see spend far too long faffing about between songs. One band I was in picked up on this and allowed only a few seconds between songs, no tuning up, no discussions, no standing around looking like you don't know where you are. It's easy to do and makes you look a LOT more professional.

Edited by discreet