Why become a member? ×

Inappropriate Songs For The Occasion

Norris

I'm currently at a wedding reception. We are doing a guest spot later as we've known the groom for years. The reception is in an ex-RBL (Royal British Legion - a bit like a working mens' club for you younger readers) where he was entertainment secretary for a long time. There are a lot of acts on before us - all singing along to backing tracks.

Anyway the first singer up opens with (and remember the occasion) ... Cry Me A River. Hard not to laugh! :)

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1432935652' post='2786489'] My friend married a Chinese girl a few years ago. There were lots of jokes about the choice of music, Wok this way by Aerosmith for example :) [/quote]

Just as well they didn't play Turning Japanese.

We played knees up mother brown on one gig, and Mrs Brown who happened to be dancing dropped dead on the dance floor. After the ambulance left and it was decided we should play for the last half hour to ease the tension. But every number we played had some morbid connotation. most songs seem to have heaven in the lyrics or I would die for you, I think by the fourth attempt we were told to call it a day as nobody was in the mood for dancing by then. It's a good thirty years ago but still one we would rather forget.

[quote name='deepbass5' timestamp='1432939581' post='2786532']
We played knees up mother brown on one gig, and Mrs Brown who happened to be dancing dropped dead on the dance floor. After the ambulance left and it was decided we should play for the last half hour to ease the tension. But every number we played had some morbid connotation. most songs seem to have heaven in the lyrics or I would die for you, I think by the fourth attempt we were told to call it a day as nobody was in the mood for dancing by then. It's a good thirty years ago but still one we would rather forget.
[/quote]

You couldn't make that up - classic! :)

My old band played a Friday night at a Con club, all OK; our usual mix of pop+rock, 50s-90s.

So they rebooked for a Saturday. Cool :)

Nobody told us that Saturday was the night the punters danced. And by "dance" I mean "waltzes".

We were not well received.

:D