Why become a member? ×

The "I can't cope with sunburst, really, I can't take it anymore" thread

thegom

Sunburst, the finish from hell. Everyone had some kind of sunburst bass at some point. But it is like viewing romantic photos of sunsets on Instagram. A few may be nice, but too many are just too much. This is the thread for bass players who can't take it anymore. Pick and choose your favourite terrible version of sunburst.

If you love sunburst, don't get upset, it's a Sunday afternoon nonsense thread. :D

My first guitar was a Kay cheapo jobby with sunburst finish, so now I associate sunburst with cheap, rather unfairly perhaps.

Then I went through a black phase, all instruments had to be black. Now I can't stand black guitars so try to mix them up a bit, but still definitely no sunburst.

Just picked up a roadworn Precision in the two tone sunburst, I think it's rather nice, I have a tobacco burst Les Paul, a cherryburst 335 and a really pretty 3 tone sunburst Les Paul junior and today I have sold a tobacco burst Telecaster to a good friend, so yeah, sunburst works for me

[quote name='rogerstodge' timestamp='1431878538' post='2775813']
Being a lefty most times its only sunburst basses available, especially Fender, moan moan moan
[/quote]the only cack handed MIA P Bass available when I bought mine (and still is AFAIA) is (thank God) black with a white scratch plate, would have preferred white but at least it wasn't sunburst.
edit, just looked you can get sunburst as well for another £60, I wouldn't even be tempted if it was £60 cheaper

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1431878920' post='2775817']
If you don't have one, you'll gas for one at some point. I know I did!
P bass, Sunburst and Maple mmmm (classy)
[/quote]

Tweedledum's Jazz is what changed my mind about sunbursts: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/10285-show-us-your-rig/page__view__findpost__p__2353933 Up until then, I too linked them to cheap and nasty copies. But that bass...it kicked my GAS into overdrive. I shall do a Warmoth Jazz V in 3-tone sunburst, bound and blocked, rosewood etc.

I have a Cimar P-bass, which I have specifically because it looks trad as a trad thing - currently awaiting a neck replacement, because the trussrod is stuck.
I also have a matched pair of Peavey Foundations, one fretted one fretless. I'd never have bought them if they weren't a pair. I think I might sell them.

My very first Bass was a Squier sunburst. Given it now looks like the top one here...

[URL=http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/Mkul0/media/2014-12-19165942_zps1887d0f6.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h391/Mkul0/2014-12-19165942_zps1887d0f6.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Can ye guess how much I love 'burst basses?

You just like showing off your Bongo at every opportunity.

If you were Silvio Berlusconi, you would have Bongo Bongo parties.

When you're old, you'll hold up your arms and you'll have Bongo wings.

Your favourite drink is Um Bongo.

Okay, I'm out of jokes now.

Edited by Funky Dunky

[quote name='Funky Dunky' timestamp='1431895700' post='2776056']
You just like showing off your Bongo at every opportunity.

If you were Silvio Berlusconi, you would have Bongo Bongo parties.

When you're old, you'll hold up your arms and you'll have Bongo wings.

Your favourite drink is Um Bongo.
[/quote]

You bet I do! I just put it down 5 minutes ago, oddly enough. I saw the blueburst option and thought "well, I never!" :lol:

I hate sunburst with a vengeance. When I bought my first and only precision in 1972 it came in sunburst as standard and a solid colour for 10% extra. How does that work? Sunburst is 3 colours and solid only one so why 10% extra?