Why become a member? ×

NBD - 'Butterfly' content

Sibob

So a little while ago I took a trip to Bass Gear in order to buy a Mono case for my 33" ACG 5 (high c). I took the ACG along, and whilst there decided to try some basses.....as you do.

Now like most people, I have previously played some Foderas, and they haven't really 'spoken' to me. However on that day I picked up a Matt Garrison Standard, a 33" 5 tuned E-C, essentially the same basic spec as my ACG.
The difference is that the Fodera blew the ACG out of the water.......

Here I feel that I must state that ACG instruments are superb, and the Finn SC that I had was excellent, but on this occasion, the Fodera, to me, felt in a different class. I am certain many people have said that of ACGs about other boutique brands.......

In any case, trying the MGS threw me, I never expected to genuinely feel that a bass was worth that kind of money, but here it was.
I set myself a challenge, could I raise the funds by selling only musical gear that I had acquired over the years?!
The answer, perhaps worryingly, was yes. By culling basses, amps and pedals that I rarely (if ever) played, I raised the full amount and so ordered the MGS.

So, here it is, yes I will take more pictures as I get time, the grain on the top is beautiful, all sorted in there!

My happy face at Bass Gear this afternoon:
[IMG]http://i59.tinypic.com/264ibdv.jpg[/IMG]

And this is from when myself and the mrs recently took a trip to New York (on holiday), and happened to be able to visit Fodera and the bass in it's pre-hardware state, around a week before it shipped:

Lots to get used to again after not having a high C bass for a few months, more photos to take of great grain etc, but all in all very happy! :).

Alongside my '71 Precision, I intend for this to be my equal 'main' bass. I also consider it very much a study bass, with the high c allowing me to further explore chords and deeper harmony that a 4 allows.
I have a P/J backup to my P, and I think I'll probably end up selling my Yamaha BB615, so I'll be down to 3 basses :)

Fodera are also technically my 'year of birth' builder, starting in 1983.....if you're I to that kinda thing ;)

Si

And there was me thinking "has Si seriously started a thread about his new Daisy Rock bass?"

Congratulations on your great taste. It looks amazing. I look forward to seeing and hearing it at the Herts Bash if you can get there with it. :)

[quote name='SolomonHelsing' timestamp='1429747944' post='2754627']
Single cuts are rather growing on me lately worryingly... Oh dear.
[/quote]

Me too. Congratulations on your new baby - we're going to need extensive high-quality pics and sound files, please. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1429749584' post='2754632']
And there was me thinking "has Si seriously started a thread about his new Daisy Rock bass?"

Congratulations on your great taste. It looks amazing. I look forward to seeing and hearing it at the Herts Bash if you can get there with it. :)
[/quote]

My thoughts exactly! Maybe we'll have to wait a little longer for the "The Daisy Rock blew the Fodera out of the water" thread...

[quote]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Now like most people, I have previously played some Foderas, and they haven't really 'spoken' to me. However on that day I picked up a Matt Garrison Standard, a 33" 5 tuned E-C, essentially the same basic spec as my ACG.[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The difference is that the Fodera blew the ACG out of the water.......[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Congrats man!! This comment seems to be what a lot of people say about Foderas when talking about them. They are all good but how can they be worth THAT much.... and then you try THE ONE and you must have it and it is definitely worth it. I completely love my ACG and can't see how anything could be that much better than it. I don't think i'll pick up a Fodera anytime soon or i'll wake up one morning with a very empty bank account starting at a bass guitar wondering how it is in my house!

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1429747565' post='2754625']
I also consider it very much a study bass, with the high c allowing me to further explore chords and deeper harmony that a 4 allows.
[/quote]

Well done on the new bass, I spent an hour figuring that a six would be a 'study bass' sadly I now consider that my fours are redundant - enjoy

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1429780074' post='2754788']
I don't think i'll pick up a Fodera anytime soon or i'll wake up one morning with a very empty bank account starting at a bass guitar wondering how it is in my house!
[/quote]

Or staring at a bass guitar [b]instead of [/b]my house!

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1429774124' post='2754693']
Congratulations! I'm right in thinking you didn't buy the first one you saw in Bass Gear, but ordered a new build?
[/quote]
I would have purchased the one I tried, but it was already reserved for someone who picked it up a few weeks later, as a result I ordered a new build, which leads on to........

[quote name='mrn1989' timestamp='1429776584' post='2754720']
Nice one simon its a beaut! Any custom tweaks or stock MG?
[/quote]

.....it's a stock MGS, you can't change any of the specs of the Standard series, which suits me as the series 1 I tried (this is a series 2), was brilliant. The spec in terms of measurements and electronics is exactly the same between the two series, just the wood combinations that differ.

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1429780074' post='2754788']
Congrats man!! This comment seems to be what a lot of people say about Foderas when talking about them. They are all good but how can they be worth THAT much.... and then you try THE ONE and you must have it and it is definitely worth it. I completely love my ACG and can't see how anything could be that much better than it.
[/quote]

Exactly, I certainly wouldn't ever suggest that Fodera are THE BEST because they're expensive, it just so happened that this bass spoke to me and it was a Fodera.
I was lucky to be able to fund it purely by selling gear that I had purchased over a number of years. Nothing better than having a massive clear-out, and having something awesome at the end of it :)

*Edit* - got the start post photos around the right way.

Cheers
Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1429747565' post='2754625']

[/quote]

So let me get this straight, you bought a very expensive bass [i]and[/i] your Mrs is still smiling...

She's a keeper mate.

(and it's a lovely bass, but you didn't really need telling that by the looks of it :) :) :) :) :) :) )

[quote name='Lw.' timestamp='1429786446' post='2754899']
Congratulations - single cut really isn't for me but there's no denying it's a quality looking bass.
[/quote]

If you mean from a visual point of view, fair enough :). If perhaps you mean from a playing point of view, the way the neck heal is built you really don't notice it at all (unless you hang your thumb over the fingerboard a lot). Neck heal photos pending :)

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1429786922' post='2754917']
So let me get this straight, you bought a very expensive bass [i]and[/i] your Mrs is still smiling...

[/quote]

She's smiling because there's now more room and less gear in the flat haha

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1429788444' post='2754951']
If you mean from a visual point of view, fair enough :). If perhaps you mean from a playing point of view, the way the neck heal is built you really don't notice it at all (unless you hang your thumb over the fingerboard a lot). Neck heal photos pending :)
[/quote]

Yes I meant purely visual - I have no doubt that they can engineer the bass to be perfectly playable that high up the neck. Despite me not liking the look of single cuts it does look quite nice in that shot of you in the factory too!

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1429786922' post='2754917']

She's a keeper mate.

[/quote]

Haha so true! :gas:

[quote name='Left Foot' timestamp='1429784566' post='2754863']
This level of instrument is waste on me but it looks very well finished. Id be scared to touch it tbh.
[/quote]

Heh, I feel exatcly the same way. Have to say though, it's as nice a single cut bass as I've ever seen.
Sometimes you see an instrument that almost oozes quality, bet it looks even better in the flesh as well.

Congrats! :D

Edited by Subbeh