Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

NBD - 'Butterfly' content

Sibob

Any NBD is a good day, but one with such a good back story seems extra special. It's really nice to hear that you could feel and hear all those extra $$$ when you played the first one, a change from the Fodera price bashing threads that normally takes place (I've never played one so have no opinion other than, "Ouch!" when I see the prices, but my Rob Allen or 63 P were not cheap). Many congrats on your new baby and the fact that you made your previous quiver of kit pay for it; happy days.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429859866' post='2755548']
So does this mean the end of bass GAS..? ;)
[/quote]

I can't imagine I could ever need anything else other than this and my P-bass. Even my PJ only really gets used if I have a rough gig where I don't fancy taking the Precision.
My plan is to use the Fodera most of the time, including all practice, however there are obviously some gigs which only ever want a Precision (one band leader in particular lol).

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1429865156' post='2755641']
My plan is to use the Fodera most of the time, including all practice, however there are obviously some gigs which only ever want a Precision...
[/quote]

Sweet. Depends what kind of venues you play of course, but will you be in any way anxious about gigging a bass of such value? :)
Just curious really, not trying to make a particular point!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429865518' post='2755648']
...but will you be in any way anxious about gigging a bass of such value? :)
[/quote]

When my new Wal arrives I'm taking an angry looking dog to gigs to protect it when I'm not looking...

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='The Badderer' timestamp='1429865979' post='2755655']
Foderas come with an inbuilt security system like this...... [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUFJwr1d880"]https://www.youtube....h?v=kUFJwr1d880[/url]
[/quote]

Er... that might be overkill. We're just professionals doing our jobs...

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1429865156' post='2755641']
I can't imagine I could ever need anything else other than this and my P-bass. Even my PJ only really gets used if I have a rough gig where I don't fancy taking the Precision.
My plan is to use the Fodera most of the time, including all practice, however there are obviously some gigs which only ever want a Precision (one band leader in particular lol).

Si
[/quote]

Dude you gotta get insurance for this. That bass does look like a work of art, what is the black box in between the two pick ups?

I won't lie, it's always a bit daunting taking a 'new' bass out, especially something like this, I guess that's why I like my old P-bass.....it was already knocked around.
Obviously I'll be extra supreme careful with it, but at the end of the day, it's a tool, simply an instrument which is to be used. I know they can afford it a bit better, but we don't see Victor, Richard Bona or Janek being overly careful with theirs, because they're only worried about what music is coming out.
Easier said than done when it's a few days old, but I imagine I'll get there :)

Si

Interesting the 'value' that people have of music/gigging/instruments. I gig regularly with a guy who has the opinion that spending more than £500 on an instrument is 'a waste' and 'too stressful because Id be worried that it got damaged.' However, he drives his guitar and amp to every gig in his pride and joy, a reasonably pricey Audi.

I think it's ridiculous to pay that much money for something and then leave it unattended outside the local WMCs 3/4 times a week! Id much rather have a Fodera.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1430162354' post='2758574']
Interesting the 'value' that people have of music/gigging/instruments. I gig regularly with a guy who has the opinion that spending more than £500 on an instrument is 'a waste' and 'too stressful because Id be worried that it got damaged.' However, he drives his guitar and amp to every gig in his pride and joy, a reasonably pricey Audi.

I think it's ridiculous to pay that much money for something and then leave it unattended outside the local WMCs 3/4 times a week! Id much rather have a Fodera.
[/quote]

This! And the Fodera wouldn't need road tax either...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1430162522' post='2758577']

We also don't see them taking the overground to Deptford at 11:30 at night with a gig bag. ;)
[/quote]

Haha, you know what I mean ;).
Last time I saw Janek he didn't have a guitar stand, just leaning the bass against his amp. If course somewhere like Ronnie's you're not getting the kind of clientele at a piss-up pub on a Friday....but you choose your gigs ;).
The Richard Bona documentary see' shin walking around New York in the snow with his Fodera in a (good) soft case, hailing taxis etc. Pretty normal :)

Si

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1430225483' post='2759147']
Haha, you know what I mean ;).
[/quote]

Yes, I do. :) I regularly gigged my 76P (and will do so again now I've got it back). Not in same league as a Fodera value-wise, but I made the decision a while back that basses are meant to be played. Not much point spending years choosing and buying the bass of your dreams then leaving it at home, is there? Though buying some decent insurance may be a shrewd move (if not a very rock 'n' roll one).

Yes I gig my '71 Precision anywhere, I may be a bit more choosey about taking out the MGS, however I want it to become my first instrument......that doesn't happen unless you play it ALL the time, need to know every little thing about it. I've never really practiced on my P-bass, it feels more like a 'gigging' bass if that makes sense, always practiced on a jazz when I had one or my P/J more recently. I've only been practising on the Fodera since I've had it, already starting to get used to having a High C again.

Already on the insurance ;)

Si