Why become a member? ×

What's a deal breaker for you?

Fisheth

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429482195' post='2751894']
This. Given that it has to have pickups, basses with nowhere to rest your thumb must be deliberately designed to be that way! Why??
[/quote]

Literally the only reason I don't own a Rickenbacker is because they're so hard to play fingerstyle... It's nothing to do with me being a cheapskate.. honest ;)

The number of frets. 24 or more I can handle. any less and I never feel comfortable playing that bass.

aesthetics are a thing I would consider to a certain extent. I wouldn't be too fussed if I thought it looked "okay" (Ive had a few basses in the past I wasn't too keen on the looks) but if it was the likes of a R*ckenbacker, P-bass or a BC Rich I wouldn't buy it. Size of the body plays a large part in this for me I think. I like small bodied basses.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429482559' post='2751903']
The main problem I have with otherwise perfect basses is colour.
[/quote]

I was after a jazz some years ago and the best one in the shop was chocolate brown. I couldn't bring myself to buy it - it looked horrible sh*tty brown and I wouldn't be seen in public with it round my neck :)

A couple of mentions already but string spacing has to be the worst thing for me... It's the only thing that would actually make a bass difficult for me to play.

All my other dislikes, gold hardware etc. can be easily rectified by just swapping out but string spacing is a bit of a show stopper if it's too tight. Doesn't seem to be as much of an issue for me at the nut but much closer than 18mm at the bridge and I struggle.

Not a big fan of the single cut either... That would put me off.

I guess the biggest problem with cosmetic issues is that you are unlikely to even pick up the bass to try it. it might be the best bass you've ever played but if you never pick it up because it's pig ugly then you're not going to be buying it.

[quote name='spectoremg' timestamp='1429513883' post='2752009']
Warwick Thumbs.
[/quote]

Indeed. My particular head-scratcher was the Lakland Decade Skyline I had. Sounded amazing, played beautifully, but it neck-dived. If the upper horn had been ~2" longer it would have been balanced. Why do that ? It really wouldn't have looked that different.

Hey-ho.

[quote name='synthaside' timestamp='1429518671' post='2752071']
Size , or relative size , I'm a 6'4 Viking / hunish type and there's a reason i play a tbird , smaller things like Ibanez or modern things look like im wielding a child's toy .
[/quote]

I would like to see a picture of you with a 3/4 sized/other short scale bass if any such photos exist :)

I kind of expect most basses wont cut it so this kind of mental scope is going on all the time when looking at basses and
once past that, I may pick it up...
I can't see my being interested in cheap basses but then expensive ones need to have the right stuff as well.
I know what sort of thing I'm looking for..but I do go back to a 5st acoustic fretless which was blindingly good
to play ...and that wasn't anywhere near my radar at all. The shop suggested I try it, just for a laugh and I
was so shocked and knocked out, I had to run out of the shop quick...
Even now, I wonder.....

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1429511900' post='2751989']
I was after a jazz ...I couldn't bring myself to buy it - it looked horrible sh*tty brown and I wouldn't be seen in public with it round my neck :)
[/quote]
[quote name='throwoff' timestamp='1429519476' post='2752087']
I just don't like Sunburst or Black!
[/quote]

I don't like shltty brown, sunburst or black either. In fact (and I'm sure I've never said this on here before), I only really like white basses. Or at least basses that are white, arctic white, olympic white, blonde, vintage white, antique white, cream, ivory, bone, seashell, flax, vanilla or linen. So quite a wide range to choose from, really...

The smallest bass I've ever used in anger , is an Aria Sb 400 which was medium scale ( think cliff burton's black Aria but the passive version). Photo's from that era have been Sanitised by the bad hair police, it was late in the 90's and i thought i was the front -man from jimmy eat world.

Edited by synthaside

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1429482820' post='2751905']
Tell that to the many Gibson owners who have suffered broken headstocks over the years.
[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1429482920' post='2751907']
I really think that's a Gibson thing, not an angled headstock thing. Spectors aren't known for headstock breakage for example.
And anyway, isn't that more a Gibson g**t*r thing rather than a Gibson bass thing?
[/quote]

I've never had one break on me, am I doing it wrong? ;)