Why become a member? ×

Why I sold my Rickenbacker Bass

Bronner

I've owned 2 Rics over the years (a 64 and 74), both were okay.

I don't think there's anything wrong with them (Rics) I just couldn't get on with the necks with my sausage hands.

I ran mine thought Orange Amps and Cabs and they did sound good. I do agree that they are a little over priced but If people are still willing to buy them at these prices, then the prices won't drop.

I like Fenders but not everyone likes them for one reason or another, It's all down to personal choice in the end.

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426963383' post='2724176']
It's a fair question. I bought it more than 20 years ago the same way people buy basses on this forum. There always isn't an opportunity to try an instrument before purchase. I recommend anyone thinking of buying one to try one.
[/quote]

20 years ago? You bought it 20 years ago and you're still bent out of shape about it? Good grief. :lol:

Get a grip man. There are more important things. Like chocolate and vodka. And boobies.

Drop into the introducing forum and tell us something more about what you play (if you still do). Get involved with the other topics...be a more useful memeber of the community. Hell - just do what I do and mooch about without posting - sucking up all the useful info. :ph34r:

IMHO, this entire endless bloody yarn can be summed up in these two tiny snip-ettes:

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1427115116' post='2725864']It's all down to personal choice in the end.[/quote]and[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1427115387' post='2725866']There are more important things. Like chocolate and vodka. And boobies.[/quote]

[/thread]

As far as I am concerned, Dairylea tastes much the same as expensive brie. What's more it is easier to spread. So my advice, totally unsolicited, is don't waste your money on brie when you can eat Dairylea. Brie is a waste of money. I think you'll find most bass players who ate brie now prefer Dairylea. I certainly do.

[quote name='MarkW' timestamp='1427115856' post='2725876']
Amnesia - you like reading, boobies and motorbikes, appear not to have much time for religion, and come from Stoke. Are you sure you're not me? This is very confusing...
[/quote]

Don't think so. Let me go and check.

Nope, still me.

One of my mates reckons he bought a Bronner once, and that it was fairly dreadful -- sounded awful from the word go and just wouldn't stop no matter what he did. He says for a lot less money he could have got a shaved chimp that would have been just as good.

EDIT. Sorry, that should have been 'Beemer'.

Edited by UglyDog

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1427122243' post='2725993']
Why thank you. Great community spirit on BC and very useful advice.
[/quote]

You're welcome! The half of the cheese that landed on laminate flooring was easily removed, the rest, that ended on the carpet, was a nightmare.

Protip #2: Bake said fromagery in a bowl or dish, not on a flat oven tray.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1427122981' post='2726011']
Come to think of it, I know another one as well. Used to be a soldier; I think he used to be a sniper but wasn't very good at it. Of Irish descent I believe...
[/quote]Is that Rick O'Shea?

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1427122777' post='2726008']
You're welcome! The half of the cheese that landed on laminate flooring was easily removed, the rest, that ended on the carpet, was a nightmare.

Protip #2: Bake said fromagery in a bowl or dish, not on a flat oven tray.
[/quote]

Stolen fron Facebook;

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1427120482' post='2725943']
I'm quite partial to Camembert. Does anyone know if it played a part in the cheese wars?
[/quote]

Reminds me of the music festival they were going to hold at the Alamo.... It was to be called "Rock a Fort" :happy:

It would have been grate.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1427124882' post='2726048']
I suppose a topic could be made of, what bass do you get the best bang for your buck? That could be interesting. From the reports i have read, you can`t get much better value for a bass than Squire.
[/quote]

Problem is that the car equivalent is probably a Skoda, so there goes that argument :)

Seriously though, bang for buck rarely justifies emotional choices, and whether like it or not, most choices in this context are emotional ones; no hard logic can dictate Ric over Fender, it's a decision at the interface of ego, taste and sentiment (and let's face it, each can be made to sound and play like the other if needs be anyway, but the image fits better in certain settings that often drive our choices - Jamerson/Jaco with a 4001 and Macca/Lemmy with a Precision just don't compute).