Why become a member? ×

Why I sold my Rickenbacker Bass

Bronner

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1427020795' post='2724693']
Yes, yes a million times YES!

Unless you don't like ginger of course, or plain chocolate.....
[/quote]

Borders? Let's not get elitist. Remember not everyone wants or can afford the high end gear, and there are plenty of more affordable and good quality biscuits that would be perfectly palatable and satisfying for newbies just starting out on their journey.

Edited by Gottastopbuyinggear

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1427029247' post='2724816']
Borders? Let's not get elitist. Remember not everyone wants or can afford the high end gear, and there are plenty of more affordable and good quality biscuits that would be perfectly palatable and satisfying for newbies just starting out on their journey.
[/quote]If a beginner is lucky, they can be gotten for a pound.

Oh remember the days, not a rickenbacker in sight, but lots and lots of scrumptious Jaffa cakes.

How we laughed and enjoyed and hoped that those fun times would last forever.

Now back to the thread.

I like my ricky. First Bass I ever owned after swapping it for a Les Paul I never played. Since getting it I have played and bought Squires VM Jazz, Squire P bass c/w SD 1/4 pounder, and Yamaha of some sort. I still think the rikky sounds better to be honest.
I'm sure there are better guitars out there for the money, but it's up to the person. If you don't like it, then move on.
To the OP, I think you sold your Ricky quite a while back....so why wait until now to tell the world...you could have save a lot of folk a lot of money.
Please tell me which Jap bass is better so that I can try them out.
Sorry for using the term 'Jap' but I don;t know how to spell Japanknees...honestly. I really don;t want to sit in cattle class on an aircraft to get a bass....they might be sold in the UK.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427034053' post='2724883']
Eight pages and no-one's mentioned Hitler yet??
[/quote]

Whilst the genealogy of the name Rickenbacker is German, it appears the company did not inherit the Teutonic race's engineering prowess.

At present the jury is out on which was Adolph's preferred plank, however as him and his pals liked stealing stuff, I'd put him down as a Warwick man.

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1427037224' post='2724932']
Whilst the genealogy of the name Rickenbacker is German, it appears the company did not inherit the Teutonic race's engineering prowess.
[/quote]

They did inherit their dislike of free speech & dissent though...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1427037937' post='2724936']
I feel I should point out in the interests of fairness that Adolf Rickenbacher was in fact Swiss, and as we all know the Swiss did nothing terrible in the war, they just looked after stolen stuff for the people who did....
:)
[/quote]

Does that mean all the good Rickenbackers' are hidden in secret cache bunkers in neutral countries?

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1427038147' post='2724938']
Does that mean all the good Rickenbackers' are hidden in secret cache bunkers in neutral countries?
[/quote]

I couldn't possibly comment, but the best one I ever played was in Argentina...

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1427039097' post='2724950']

A 4001 year Rick - the clues are all there in front of us.
[/quote]

It's all becoming clear. Especially the various components that have been constructed into the disfigured profile that is the Rickenbacker. Almost as though some mad and evil surgeon had sewn the parts together from other perfectly good instruments just to see what would happen.....

Edited by Number6

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1427039445' post='2724954']
It's all becoming clear. Especially the various components that have been constructed into the disfigured profile that is the Rickenbacker. Almost as though some mad and evil surgeon had sewn the parts together from other perfectly good instruments just to see what would happen.....
[/quote]

The experiments with twin necks were indeed a crime against nature...

[quote name='darren' timestamp='1427039318' post='2724952']
I quite like the look of Rick basses. Especially the 4005. Anyhow, never played one but found this interesting. not sure how accurate. [media]http://youtu.be/nR--0QSLQPg[/media]
[/quote]

I never knew that Eeyore did bass repair work.

I lusted after one when I was a kid and learning to play but it wasn't an option due to cost.
By the time I'd a bit of experience and money to buy one I'd pretty much grown out of them
and the final nail in the coffin was when I played one...wrong, wrong, totally wrong for me
and not helped by the general playability of them. After that, well and truly cured of
any sort of interest whatsoever. Oh well..!!

The issue I find with Rickenbacker basses.
They are like a set of precision wood carving tools.

If you are a really good wood carver, with tools that are precision made you will excel at what it is you set out to do.
If you are a hammer and screwdriver wood carver, then, they will just make things harder to do and you will end up blaming the tool for your failings.

Where these instruments have been placed in the hands of experts, we have some of the most distinctive sounding most recognisable baselines in the world.
Those that can benefit from them, do so, the others, well they need something that does not require such level of skill to master.
Not everyone can do it unfortunate, no point getting angry about it, just keep practising, you might make the grade .

I had the money for a 4003 in 2012 so I bought one. Now that some muppet on the internet has enlightened I will whip myself accordingly. Of course unlike him I won't actually sell it to someone else as that would be hypocrisy of the highest order, I will hold a ritual bonfire with an effigy of John Hall on top. :rolleyes:

Edited by Mr Arkadin