Why become a member? ×

Why I sold my Rickenbacker Bass

Bronner

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427065513' post='2725471']

Depends whether Rickenbacker becomes more popular than cheeses.
[/quote]

I sometimes feel that the foil wrapped around those cheesy triangles is a little like the Rick pickup covers and that a squeezed out tube of Primula akin to those dual truss rods.....

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1427065868' post='2725482']
Bronner, I've forgotten the point of this thread, can you remind me please?
[/quote]

This is becoming rather like Last of the summer wine'. Or The Mousetrap.

I think it was the American, without the Rickenbacker, in the Billiard Room. Do I win ten pounds.

Can the last one here please switch of the light, thanks.

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1427067104' post='2725504']
This is becoming rather like Last of the summer wine'.
[/quote]

Have you seen that TV channel called "Yesterday"? Seems to be documentaries about the Nazis interspersed by reruns of Last of the Summer Wine. What's that all about?

primila gives me nightmares, reminds me of when i was young round my nans on a sunday, she'd always have celery chopped up with primula in it... now, how can i wrap this up with a rickenbacker comment? any thoughts?

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1427068567' post='2725520']
Have you seen that TV channel called "Yesterday"? Seems to be documentaries about the Nazis interspersed by reruns of Last of the Summer Wine. What's that all about?
[/quote]

PMSL! hahahahah! :D

[quote name='chriswareham' timestamp='1427068567' post='2725520']

[/quote]

Yes, and there is one of the discovery type channels where you can't get away from either sharks, nazis or dinosaurs. It does make you wonder what their demographic is. I'm waiting for the ad break where they have a wizened old SS Officer going upstairs in a Stannah stair lift, or perhaps a wrinkly old Great White in one of those walk in baths.

Armando Ianucci used to do a gag about their new flagship show 'Walking with Nazis'.

I wonder when the OP will be along to give the plate another spin to keep the thread bubbling away?

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1427062779' post='2725408']

But hopefully you realize that the real point is that he suggested that Lennon has a greater right than others to criticize a brand (in his case Jesus). Whereas, I say people have an equal right to criticize.
[/quote]

I used to have one of those. Not one of 'those' you understand; mine was the full sized version (345 - that one is a 325). Bought in 1973 for £95 - they weren't that highly thought of at the time. Sold in 1990 for £1000. Dread to think what it might be worth now (made in 1964).

I can turn this into a much longer story if anybody wants me to...

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1427095146' post='2725591']

I used to have one of those. Not one of 'those' you understand; mine was the full sized version (345 - that one is a 325). Bought in 1973 for £95 - they weren't that highly thought of at the time. Sold in 1990 for £1000. Dread to think what it might be worth now (made in 1964).

I can turn this into a much longer story if anybody wants me to...
[/quote]ha ha. Bravo sir!

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426897189' post='2723348']
Now that the decades have passed since getting rid of it; I've come to realize that McCartney probably played this bass because they made him a left-handed copy. He got it free. That's all there is to it.
[/quote]

They initially wanted money for it though, but yes it was a freebie. He's since started using other basses, which were also freebies. What company wouldn't want the world's most influential bassist showing off their wares on stage? You'd be daft not to give him a freebie.

McCartney has said in interview "It was the first left-handed bass I´d ever had, ´cause the Hofner was a converted right-hand. It was a freebie and I loved it". Why put it on Rubber Soul, Sgt Pepper, Revolver if he didn't?

[quote name='Thump' timestamp='1427062946' post='2725412']
Ten pages and counting...

I'd still have a black one. Black ones sound best ;)
[/quote]

Well, red ones go faster. It's a scientific fact about everything.

Anyway, I've never really tried a Rick for any length of time. My brother had a 6 string that he liked, and I have at least 2 friends who are Rick users and manage to sound good live & recorded.

Also I'm not sure that the OP knows what "ad hominem" means, it's really quite specific:

You're English/an idiot/less than 5 ft in height THEREFORE you're wrong = ad hominem
You're wrong, THEREFORE you're an idiot = not ad hom
You're an idiot (without reference to argument) = not ad hom

Ah well.

[quote name='hairychris' timestamp='1427109195' post='2725764']
Also I'm not sure that the OP knows what "ad hominem" means, it's really quite specific:

You're English/an idiot/less than 5 ft in height THEREFORE you're wrong = ad hominem
You're wrong, THEREFORE you're an idiot = not ad hom
You're an idiot (without reference to argument) = not ad hom
[/quote]

Although an [i]ad hominem[/i] is a logical fallacy, it doesn't mean that it's wrong. :D