Why become a member? ×

Why I sold my Rickenbacker Bass

Bronner

• 1 month later...

Picked up a 4003S in Guitar Guitar for a noodle (my previous experience with a Rick wasn't great, it was at a guitar show and it was very poorly set up). It was a revelation, easy under the fingers and the tone was, to my ears, to die for. Went back yesterday and tried it side by side with a US P Bass and an MM 'Ray5. No competition, it just ruled tone-wise and playability-wise too. On top of that it was almost as loud as the active 'Ray. I now have massive Ricky GAS, but can't justify it at all and the Mrs onside may well prove difficult. I may have to sell my '63 P!

I have 4 of the things. Not everyone will like them. That's perfectly ok.
I don't really care what everyone else likes. The only have to work for me.
I am not fond of John Hall either. My dealings with him were not pleasant.

I used to have a similar (in my case almost irrational) hatred of Jazz basses because of one that I used at a jam night.
Years later I fell in love with a USA Jazz in America and now I use it regularly.

• Like 1

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1431608304' post='2773127']
This has dragged itself up from the troll pit has it ?
[/quote]
My fault, sorry :(

[quote name='The Admiral' timestamp='1431608304' post='2773127']
Can we just let it die from lack of attention? ( Don't answer that!)
[/quote]
Doh! Sorry again.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1431613719' post='2773239']
I'm ignoring this, who's with me?
[/quote]
I am; :facepalm: oh, not again! "[color=#252525][font=sans-serif]Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."[/font][/color]

Always wanted one, will never buy one. No reason other than stupid ones like "can't justify the expense", and "I'm a Peavey fanatic and refuse to buy any basses/guitars that aren't one" :D

Quality control might be lacking, but when you play a good one, you'll know!

I have played Rickenbacker's for 37 years now, usually the reason for someone to complain about one in my experience is they do not know how to set them up properly !!! i have done this many times for other bass players, if a Ric is set up correctly it will sound good, play good, and be hassle free, if someone screws the truss rods up like the pictures further back in the post , usually done by someone with no experience of rickenbacker basses plus the anchor on the truss rod pictures was not a ric anchor and the only way they can get screwed up is if someone screws them up, using the correct tool for the job it is impossible to over tension ric truss rods, it is designed that way, your hands slips from the tool before it allows anyone to over tension them. but as usual there are idiots out there who know better !!! and screw them up with water keys !!! there are crap basses from any brand including Rickenbacker, my advice when choosing one is take someone with you who knows what they are talking about, most Rics that are messed up are by folks who are clueless, i own two 4003's at the moment a 2014 Ruby and a 2015 Jetglo both play well and sound fantastic. reason for this is they are set up correctly. i love the sound the feel the look what's not to like.

Edited by geofio

I must admit, I fancy trying one out, seeing as I was about 19 when I last had a brief shot of one. I'd like to see what the fuss is about. A trip to guitar guitar is in order!

• 7 years later...

The OP obviously doesn't like Rickenbackers.

But he also said the Hofner is a great bass. Yeah, those Hofner pickups with about 100 windings sure sound great.... But, it has a certain sound and tone that can't easily be replicated (except for a Rickenbacker neck pickup)...

Go figure!!!

Edited by geddeeee

The reason i can't speak here much is that i never owned Rick, never played it, but have heard it live and rec. I think there are a lot of people who still likes the design and tone of Rick. and keep buying it, but of course there are a lot of dislikers and it is normal, other wise the name would not be so popular and the brand is still producing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nilorius said:

The reason i can't speak here much is that i never owned Rick, never played it, but have heard it live and rec. I think there are a lot of people who still likes the design and tone of Rick. and keep buying it, but of course there are a lot of dislikers and it is normal, other wise the name would not be so popular and the brand is still producing.

The bass playing world would be far less rich without Rickenbackers 👍 

I bought a Ric in 80's and couldn't master the tone finding it very limiting. Sold it within few mths for a Jazz bass. I still have Gas for another and the new ones have that push pull knob that for me offers a more modern tone that I prefer. None about to rest tho but I do fancy another one.