Why become a member? ×

Why I sold my Rickenbacker Bass

Bronner

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1426947978' post='2723836']
Like a lot of people on this forum, I was put off Rics through the antics of Mr Hall, but now the OP has really stoked my GAS for one. Dammit.
[/quote]
I only became aware of any problems when I came on this forum. What exactly has gone on with Hall/Rickenbacker?

[quote name='doctorbass' timestamp='1426943215' post='2723746']
I believe that Bruce played a Ric copy (live) and most of the Jam recordings were a Precision.
[/quote]

Yes you are right!
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/182140-i-dont-really-understand-rickenbackers/page__view__findpost__p__1742389

[quote name='Old Man Riva' timestamp='1426948451' post='2723850']
I only became aware of any problems when I came on this forum. What exactly has gone on with Hall/Rickenbacker?
[/quote]

He threatened us with legal action over the selling of Ric copies on the site.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/209819-this-is-a-rickenbacker-free-marketplace/"]http://basschat.co.u...ee-marketplace/[/url]

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1426948608' post='2723852']

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/209819-this-is-a-rickenbacker-free-marketplace/"]http://basschat.co.u...ee-marketplace/[/url]
[/quote]
Blimey, I'll have a read of that..

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1426949375' post='2723868']
For live gigs I prefer the fuller tone of a hearty treacle sponge. However for recording straight into the desk a tangy lemon tart is much more suitable
[/quote]

Best, most sensible post in the whole thread.

Mmmm, lemon tart...

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1426946719' post='2723806']
You sound awfully familiar, have you ever been to England?

EDIT: Oh, and the Iranian IP address you're using isn't a particularly good disguise. :D
[/quote]

You don't mean...

Edited by JapanAxe

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1426945449' post='2723782']
There are plenty of things I deem overpriced. Products that don't offer good bang for the buck$. Where I can buy a better quality, cheaper alternative if I choose to. Kettle Chips are a prime contender.

I bang on to my mates about Kettle Chips all the time. On and on. And you know what? Not once have they said: "Thanks Skol. Thanks for your insight. I'm now going to change my choice of crisps based on your opinion."

Not once. They keep on buying those Kettle Chips. It's as though they value their own opinions more highly than mine. The fools.

And so it will always be. Ad infinitum.

PS: any unwanted rice pudding? Send it my way. One man's bowl of milky maggots is another's homely pudding.
[/quote]

OT, but what's an alternative? Keen as I love Kettle Chips haha!

Clearly the lack of Rick content on here has led to a lot of good old British Rick Repression! :lol:
Ricks look cool? Give me a break. If you presented one for your grade 1 woodwork exam you'd be outside the head's office for slacking off. And as for punters saying they look cool; most punters wouldn't know a bass from a Tracey Emin unmade bed!

It is sad to see more angry / opinionated posts on BC recently. The quote that jumped out to me that shows that this isn't a healthy topic for you is this...

[quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]What I really believe is happening is that the Rickenbacker brand is in trouble and they have a negative history with this site, and either someone with the company, the dealers that depend Rick sales in the UK, or perhaps just some overzealous fans of the brand are trying to shut down criticism of the product. [/font][/color]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If you really felt strongly about someone giving their opinion about a brand, you would feel equally strongly about people saying good things about the brand. Why isn't that offensive to you? Everyone knows it's common to share experiences about a product on a forum. Look at some independent bass makers on this site; they handle themselves professionally, and don't engage in dubious arguments to try and shut down criticism.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

You opened this post at just after midnight, on a Saturday morning.... and assume that there is some "Cult of Rickenbacker" made up of distributors / dealers / owners who have by 11-12 on that Saturday morning become aware of some Anti-Rickenbacker thread and moved to shut it down and defend their product. Does this sound at all strange to you? I'm sorry if someone from Rickenbacker has done something to hurt you but let it go man.

Many people have posted calm / reasoned and objective comments and yet you just want to drive this thread into a fairly angry vent against Rickenbacker. I've never owned one and only ever played one for 5 mins in my life. I think you can get a lot better bass for your money than owning a Rick / Fender, but there are also many people who like those basses and that's their call. Please think a bit more reasonably about your comments as it just takes the general tone on here downhill and that it's ok to post such poorly thought out negative comments.

I had a 4003 and loved the look and also the sound of it when recorded or soloed but in the band live it just didn't give me the thump and presence the P bass brought.
I really wanted to keep it but just didn't feel I was doing it any justice keeping it locked in it's case most of the time, especially as it cost so much. Flogged it and bought a Pre EB Ray which I do use more and also had a bit of dosh left which came in handy.

Bottom line I like them but give me a P, J or Ray anyday.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1426948608' post='2723852']

[/quote]
I'm still none the wiser.. (without opening a can of worms) are we talking fake instruments posing as genuine items (i.e. branded Rickenbacker) or copies (as in instruments made to look like another but not named Rickenbacker etc)?

Either way, it seems incredibly harsh to have a go at this place if that is the case (and apologies if I've got my wires crossed).

[quote name='Bronner' timestamp='1426897189' post='2723348']
... If you've never owned or played one of these basses, they aren't that good to be honest ... They have a horrible tone and lack versatility. I'm sure the copies or another brand of bass altogether will be better.

Think of all of the other amazing types of basses you could buy for the money instead of wasting your bread on a Rickenbacker.
[/quote]

Is that what you told the guy before he bought it from you?

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1426944255' post='2723761']
A question to the OP

When you spent all that money on the Rickenbacker, did you actually try it out first, and if you did, did you not notice the "horrible tone and lack versatility" at the time? because if it really was as bad as you say (and I don't disbelieve you), why on earth did you buy it?

Please don't think I'm starting an argument with you, I'm just curious.
[/quote]And I'm still waiting to hear why he bought it in the first place, seeing as it was so bad. <_<

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1426958367' post='2724071']
And I'm still waiting to hear why he bought it in the first place, seeing as it was so bad. <_<
[/quote]

He didn't buy it ... it was given to him.

You do realise that Bronner is actually an anagram of Sir Paul McCartney don't you?

No, wait ...

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1426958845' post='2724088']
Relax man.
[/quote]

You're missing the point Hiram.

He's a troll.

This isn't about hating Rickenbackers, it's about getting the biggest response from the least effort.

Under a bridge somewhere, with a bottle of gin in a brown paper bag and a bad attitude, he's waiting for his favourite bass tone ... and that's "[i][b]Trip Trap, Trip Trap[/b][/i]".

Wow. What a bizzare thread.

What the OP doesn't seem to appreciate is that many people on BC already feel that Rickenbackers are overpriced, shoddily-made, mass-produced throwbacks with very little versatility. If he reads a little on here he'll find plenty of posts & threads expressing these views, none of which have been shut down by the RickenCops. And that plenty of people on here also feel that RIC's CEO behaves like a bullying, delusional, hostile megalomaniac, and this has negatively impacted on their opinion of the brand he represents.

Bronner - most people on here really don't need to be talked out of buying a Rickenbacker. And there really isn't a secret BC fifth column, diligently beavering away to protect & promote that nice Mr Hall's business interests. It's all in your head, dear. :)

Jon.