Why become a member? ×

Should every bass player play at least a little bit of guitar

CHW

I play bass and guitar, although I'm a much better bass player.

Playing guitar can certainly be beneficial, though I definitely don't think it's necessary. You do need to be aware of the role and sounds of any instrument you're playing with in a band, whether it be guitar, piano, drums, flute, etc. Personally, I think ear training is highly beneficial in this context. Sure, I could look at a guitarist's hand and realize he's playing a B7 chord, but I kind of look at that as cheating. Much more beneficial if I can hear the chord and know it's a B7. I definitely couldn't recognize a B7 on piano so there's an instance where ear training really helps out.

1. When you play as part of an ensemble (or "group"), the better you understand the other instruments you're playing along to, the better you will play your own instrument.

2. An understanding of harmonic instruments ( anything that usually plays more than 1 note at a time) will give you more options in constructing bass lines.

3. Experience mixing live sound and studio recordings is also good because it forces you to evaluate your tone and volume as part of the big picture (the song as a whole).

I am pretty much in the same boat as the OP (although don't get the reference to being able to visualise chord shapes - surely it's a listening thing?) I'd always played bass, then had a stab at guitar for a couple of years a few years back, returned to bass and then revisited guitar in the last year again. It has helped massively. I also think playing drums / piano or any other instrument won't hurt.

My only gripe with Basschat is the anti-guitar comments that often come up from some members. It's all music and I don't like guitarists sniping at bassists either.

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I am a long term bass player who cannot play any guitar, I couldn't recognise a B7 chord visually without looking something up, and I pick up the more random seeming chord progressions from a guitarist by either listening, or asking them what they're playing.[/font][/color]

I was no good at guitar when I tried about 20 years ago and I have no interest in trying again.

I'm a bass player but play guitar also... Never in a band though .....
I'm fairly proficient but I stick to what I know in terms of a band environment.

I play acoustic guitar, resonator guitar but my favourite of all, bar none..... 5s Banjo...... Very very similar percussive style of playing to a bass. Would highly recomend to anyone who fancies something different to wet their whistle.

[quote name='Wonky2' timestamp='1426722099' post='2721372']
I'm a bass player but play guitar also... Never in a band though .....
I'm fairly proficient but I stick to what I know in terms of a band environment.
[/quote]
Me also. I dont see how noticing what a guitard is doing and being able to think about it for a moment and do something appropriate, rather than rely on your ear when he's done it, can possibly be a bad thing. No one is asking you to actually touch one of the evil skinny-string things... ;)

I started on guitar and still play it, though I'm primarily a bassist. I think it's been useful to me having a knowledge of both instruments. I would say that if you happen to have another instrument, whatever it is, in the house, then it's worth messing around with it, but actually going out and spending money on another instrument (whether it be guitar, keyboard, or drums) is not necessarily going to be worthwhile.

In my opinion, learning a bit of guitar is essential for writing songs. You've got more of color palette with a guitar I'd say.

When it comes to jamming, I'd sooner understand what the drummers up to and lock in with him, than lock in with guitarist.

Obviously, this is just my approach and everyone's approach is going to be different. But learning a bit of guitar is only going to help with technique, understanding of chords etc etc?

Cheers

Kieran

Edited by TheBadger

The key benefit from learning some guitar (or keys) would be a knowledge of chords... Not just learning the physical shape of chords obviously, that won't help your bass playing at all, but learning how the chords are constructed (from which intervals etc) can give you an insight into which notes can be used to construct your basslines.

Just looking at a guitarist and recognising the shape of a chord is a bit of a party trick unless you understand how that chord is constructed,

Agree with OP.

I started with Keyboard, then took up bass, now guitar.

Even though Bass is 'my' instrument I do dabble in the other two. Its helped me with theory and knowing what other people are playing and why they go to certain places if that makes sense.

Drumming though. Thats a whole different story. You need to be slighty mental to drum in my opinion. One of the drummers I used to be in a band with used to have a really savage stammer twitch thing, and he used to use it as his internal metronome to keep himself in time!

[quote name='Bassassin' timestamp='1426701260' post='2721035']
I played bass for two years before picking up a guitar. I wanted to learn guitar as a tool for composition, and have managed to achieve a good enough standard to be able to play whatever's in my head. I don't rate myself as a guitarist (certainly wouldn't dare play it live), but all the guitarists I've worked with have been surprisingly complimentary about my playing.

Whether or not it would benefit [i]every[/i] bassist to learn a bit of guitar (or other chordal/melodic instrument), I don't know. If you're content playing covers, arguably it's academic whether you understand why you're playing what you're playing. As has been mentioned, a basic knowledge of drums might be more use, certainly for encouraging cohesive playing.

Jon.
[/quote]

I watched an interview with Billy Sheehan recently.
He said pretty similar, you should learn guitar to compose songs on.

The comments about learning a bit of keyboard are interesting- I've had a go and it's all greek to me. Whenever I have jammed with a keyboard player, I've had to rely on my ear, and although I can do it. I definitely find the visual aid of playing with a guitarist a help (even when they decide to put a capo on at fret 4 and make me play in funny keys on the upright)

I can play some basic drums too, and can't say that this has helped me much as a bass player.

Edited by CHW

There are probably many very good bass players out there who can't play a lick of guitar or piano. That, in no way diminishes the power and drive of what they do when they play.

Having said that, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that can play multiple instruments when the need arises. It's especially helpful when composing music. There are piano songs of mine that never would have existed if all I could play was the guitar. Likewise, the guitar brings a completely different mindset, and a completely different feel, to a song. None of my guitar songs could have been written on a piano. The instruments we use are just tools of musical expression. The more tools we have, the more opportunities of musical expression exist. But, if the bass is the only tool we have, it behooves us to "make it matter" to the song.

Playing other instruments also helps immensely in enlarging the "comfort zone" on stage when you understand where everyone is supposed to be in a song, and why. But, as always, YMMV.

<><Peace

For me the most important thing a bass player has to do is create a groove with the drummer. Being able to play guitar doesn't help with this and indeed many guitarists are not good at playing grooves. A good rhythm section with a rhythmn guitarist who can groove and understand usage of space sounds awesome

However having some understanding of music theory helps you to create bass parts and harmonies and understanding of what the other musicians (and singers) are doing.

Do you need to be able to play guitar. Well it's nice if you can but as the bass guitar is an amplified bass instrument, so for those who think it's essential for a bass player to be able to play some guitar (and I've come across such people), would they also think that an orchestral double bass player should be able to play violin or cello? I think not!!

This sounds like an argument conjured up by guitarists who think they're the centre of the universe........... or band!!

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1426852671' post='2722697']
Do you need to be able to play guitar. Well it's nice if you can but as the bass guitar is an amplified bass instrument, so for those who think it's essential for a bass player to be able to play some guitar (and I've come across such people), would they also think that an orchestral double bass player should be able to play violin or cello? I think not!!

This sounds like an argument conjured up by guitarists who think they're the centre of the universe........... or band!!
[/quote]

But, Violin and Cello, and that there Viola thing for that matter,
are not chordal Instruments.
I should think next port of call for an Orchestral Bass player would be Piano,
and why not Acoustic Guitar?

Piano is my second Instrument (or another Instrument), mainly from back in my music collage days.
I know all my chords on a Guitar, but I wouldn't say I could gig on one.
I found Piano really helped and certainly made getting the theory thing together easier,
not to mention learning tunes, which in turn is good for the old ears.
But I suppose for a lot of folks, it's down to how much time they have available
to put into another instrument.