Why become a member? ×

playing in public for first time.

red rooster

I go to lessons every week with my two girls one plays keyboards she's nine ,whilst my other daughter who's twelve plays bass with me,its a group thing where lots of dads and mums go and play different things with there kids .Well we've got a concert coming up in three weeks time an to put it blunt I'm crapping it ,I can play the songs we've to play and keep in time and when everyone's together,drums,guitar,keys,singer and bassists it sounds really good ,but I'm quite a shy type of guy really enjoy playing and learning but the thought of playing in front of others freaks me out.any tips.

If you're playing with your two daughters then this is an easy fix. Forget the audience, forget being on stage ... just focus on the girls.

Assuming that you'll be playing next to them, just arrange the three of you so that they're facing their mates in the audience, while you're side-on to the audience (and not looking at them) and concentrating on what matters, which is making sure that they enjoy the experience.

Good luck.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1426084884' post='2714176']
Remember the bass player's mantra

[b][size=4]'Nobody notices the bass player unless he catches fire'.[/size][/b]
[/quote]

Though to be fair that happens more often to drummers.

[quote name='Mykesbass' timestamp='1426085363' post='2714183']
I've got to say Happy Jack's suggestion sounds absolutely spot on--nice work Jack!
[/quote]

I agree. I would just add that breathing slowly and deeply helps to relax the body and mind. Sometimes when we are nervous,
we "forget" to breath.

So, try to be aware of your breathing and dont "hold it in".. ;)

Try and do anything to stop you worrying unnecessarily on the way there: double check everything before you leave home, including any notes if you use them (written ones, before some sarky sod states the obvious) Get there early but not too early, get set up and check everything works and you are in tune without being in a rush. I always liked to have the running order correct so I didn't have to worry about what the next song would be and what the starting note/riff was when I first started playing in public (but I don't worry these days!) Just make sure you know where the first note of the first song is, hit that and you will be away. Once you are through the first one the rest will take care of itself. Trust me, it will!

You'll be fine. Take Happy jack's advice. In addition to that, bear in mind you have a partisan audience, probably made up of other mums, dads and friends and family. You're in the safest and best first gig situation ever. They are all guaranteed to be going nuts clapping. Even if you do catch fire ;)

Concentrate on your daughter and enjoy yourself. You'll be hooked after the performance.

Best of luck, not that you need it.

You've already received great advice so I'll not add any more. What I will say is that I was doing this kind of show 15 years ago with my girls feeling proud & nervous. In a couple of weeks, the 3 of us are part of a band doing a big corporate gig in a posh hotel for 350 accountants!
I love playing bass for them now they can really sing and remain their biggest fan.
Enjoy!

What Jack and Bilbo said!

Otherwise you've ticked all the performances boxes already so nothing to be nervous about other than nerves themselves.
Sounds a lovely thing to do together with your girls. Have fun and who knows you could be playing together like PTB in 15 years. How nice is that?

Also, try not to 'over-think' everything. You need to get a strong focus on your playing but if you're continually thinking about every note then it can effect your timing and you can start fumbling over your lines.

Doing some loosening-up exercises and getting into the groove of playing can work wonders. Once you get going things will just fall into place and you'll be totally hooked on playing live. Just one of the best experiences you can have and playing with your daughter will be the icing on the cake :)

Don't stress about making a cock up - only other bass players will notice

Think of it this way.....if you're the singer and you forget your words everyone notices

As a bass player, if you lose, your way, you can stop playing/play root notes for a bit and no-one will notice

And it's good to be a bit nervous

[quote name='ricksterphil' timestamp='1426115202' post='2714715']
Don't stress about making a cock up - only other bass players will notice

Think of it this way.....if you're the singer and you forget your words everyone notices

As a bass player, if you lose, your way, you can just say its jazz.

[/quote]

Fixed.

Take a good moment to have look at you audience and the venue. Walk around the area where the audience are sitting/going to sit so you get a sense of that space. Look at the audience, they are just a collection of individual everyday people short, tall fat etc. 99% of them can't do what you can do and they are all there for the same reason, to enjoy the moment. By all means stay stage focussed during the performance but its good to have recognised and encountered your audience a bit in advance so they are not a great, big unknown threatening mass of faces.
Also, avoid catching fire.

Thanks folks just going to put my head down an play ,have a sort of comp going with my daughter who can play the best lol,she definitely learns thinks a lot faster than me ,but I'm more consistent any way sure it will be fine on the day ,going by the reports I've heard of last year's concert don't think alcohol is a go idea I'm bad enough sober.

Couple of tips to add to the sensible suggestions above.

Try to get to the venue before it fills up with punters. Drop your gear and before you do anything else walk round the room / stage a couple of times. Say to yourself 'This is [i]my[/i] space and I own it.' Then set up and find a comfy place to perch while your [s]victims[/s] audience walk in.

It's possible to spend the gig standing sideways to the punters or looking at the drummer. But it's equally possible to look [i]at[/i] the audience, but angle your gaze just slightly over their heads. That way you don't have to make eye contact but [i]they[/i] still think you're looking at them.

Fact is, you'll really enjoy yourself. Enjoy your gig :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1426178466' post='2715331']
But it's equally possible to look [i]at[/i] the audience, but angle your gaze just slightly over their heads. That way you don't have to make eye contact but [i]they[/i] still think you're looking at them.

:)
[/quote]

Yep, this is an old thespian trick :) And the good thing is that ALL the audience will think you are looking at them, but none of them will feel they are being fixed with an embarassing stare.
However, if you are anything like me at my first gig, your eyes will be glued to the fretboard most of the time anyway. This is OK. The audience eye contact thing can wait till your next gig. :)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1426179184' post='2715342']
However, if you are anything like me at my first gig, your eyes will be glued to the fretboard most of the time anyway. This is OK. The audience eye contact thing can wait till your next gig. :)
[/quote]

Wise words.

You have no idea how you'll feel until you do it. I'm very shy under most circumstances too, but stick me on a stage and you wouldn't realise it! My first show was in front of about 800 people and I hid behind the PA stack for most of it. Once I got over the shock I loved the buzz.

Make sure that you really know the material, and that you have practiced your set so that you all have it running smoothly. Know what you have to do with your kit to set it up - personally I find Zen in this aspect of the show as once I have my area set up I'm ready to do my thing. I use the same routine at rehearsals: the closer to the mentality of the show you get when rehearsing, even with the little things, the easier the show is!

Another tip is the next time you practice, set up your instruments as if you are on a stage, all facing the same way if you aren't doing so already. Pretend that a wall is the audience. Your on-stage communication is going to be a little different to the rehearsal room, a small thing but may catch you out especially if you're all taking visual cues from the drummer.

Anyway, the important thing is to enjoy it. You might be too stressed to notice at the time, but once you've finished take a little time to take it all in. You're also lucky in that kids are often natural performers. Back them up and you'll be fine!

Good luck. :D