Why become a member? ×

Advice on a Fiver

Tripehound

I would be interested to know why you struggle with a 5 as I'm assuming that its tuned like 4 with an additional B string? If you play it the same way you play your 4 and use the B as a thumb rest you will just slide into playing 5's naturally

If Its because of the neck is wider then look at thin necked fivers like ESP and Ibanez. If its the string spacing there are plenty of 5's with wide spacing.

I would personally veer away from jazzers for rock music...I know others use them brilliantly but wasted a lot of lime trying to dial in powerful cutting lows and never really succeeded.

Note: I use an SR5 in a rock band and it suits me very nicely so don't rule out Sterling Ray35's

Personally I'm loving my new Fender Modern Player Jazz V. Coil tap-able twin humbuckers give loads of tonal options from selecting HH, SS, HS or SH configurations and the playability and build quality are actually really good.
Normally they come in a touch over your budget but at the moment there's a b-stock one in satin Olympic white on Thomann for about £350.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_modern_player_jazz_bas_b_stock_4.htm

In my personal expenicve the right bass can make or break playing 5 string.
If it's a comfortable neck/ action then it's a lot easier to persevere with it. If it's an uncomfortable experience then it's all too easy to not bother.
I've struggled with some, and ended up going back to 4 string, and others ive teen to naturally and not given the long thumb rest a second thought.

Of course it also has to sound good, in the past my 5 string basses have varied when it comes to the B string. My Laklands have been the best (35") but I'm finding my new Sire to be just as clear (this is from memory though). My TRBX is not quite as defined in the 5-12th fret area. Still very useable though. I was also very happy with my Fender MIAO P5, although the neck never felt quite as nice as my Laklands, due to the Laklands having smaller frets and the fretboard being flatter.

As has been suggested, try as many as you can (not always easy though), and trust your gut instinct. If it feels nice and sounds nice, it is nice, no matter what anyone else says or suggests.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1425734894' post='2710168']
As has been suggested, try as many as you can (not always easy though), and trust your gut instinct. If it feels nice and sounds nice, it is nice, no matter what anyone else says or suggests.
[/quote]

This. I had a Hohner B2V for ages but hardly played as it never felt right. Then a couple of weeks ago I went and tried a few fivers at Wunjo's and it started to make sense... I've now just traded the Hohner for an Ibanez SR and already my four-strings are feeling weird ;)

Now my issue is to stop translating "try as many as you can" to "buy as many as you can"... :gas:

Thanks folks - there are some really interesting suggestions in here and it should help pin one down.

To answer the question of why I struggled with a five-string the first time around.... I'm getting on a bit now and the muscle-memory is engrained, I have some lovely 4 string instruments that I love playing and probably most significantly I'm the singer in the band. I find it tough enough to do two things reasonably well (if at all) at the best of times! Maybe persistence would pay off but life's short and I felt I was holding things back by making mistakes.

The second band is a different matter as all I have to do is play bass and that presents the opportunity to focus on playing. I also listened to Summer of 69 - which I have been asked to learn - and noted that it goes from D up to A at the start and that means....

Of the suggestions made it looks like there are plenty to look at - Yamaha and Ibanez seem very highly regarded. I had the pleasure of meeting Dave Pegg last year and he was telling me that he uses and swears by his Ibanez Sr505. It sounded great but I suspect he could have made a ten bob bass sound good. I'm particularly interested in Laklands (the 5501 or the DJ5) as I've owned a couple and the Sire Marcus Miller looks very interesting indeed. I note that the latter is 34" - should I worry about length? (Fnnarr Fnnarr!)

Edited by Tripehound

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1425814135' post='2710892']
Don't worry about 34" fivers, I've played many that have a great B and plenty of naff 35" fives. Get one that you like the best, ignor the finish and style to keep the budget down rather than buying a great looking poor playing one, most of the basses suggested look, play and sound great anyway :)
[/quote]

Agreed, don't ignore the looks of a guitar are important if you intend to keep it and play it in public. With a bit patience you will get there.

[quote name='Tripehound' timestamp='1425812693' post='2710870']
To answer the question of why I struggled with a five-string the first time around.... I'm getting on a bit now and the muscle-memory is engrained, I have some lovely 4 string instruments that I love playing and probably most significantly I'm the singer in the band. I find it tough enough to do two things reasonably well (if at all) at the best of times! Maybe persistence would pay off but life's short and I felt I was holding things back by making mistakes.

The second band is a different matter as all I have to do is play bass and that presents the opportunity to focus on playing. I also listened to Summer of 69 - which I have been asked to learn - and noted that it goes from D up to A at the start and that means....

Of the suggestions made it looks like there are plenty to look at - Yamaha and Ibanez seem very highly regarded. I had the pleasure of meeting Dave Pegg last year and he was telling me that he uses and swears by his Ibanez Sr505. It sounded great but I suspect he could have made a ten bob bass sound good. I'm particularly interested in Laklands (the 5501 or the DJ5) as I've owned a couple and the Sire Marcus Miller looks very interesting indeed. I note that the latter is 34" - should I worry about length? (Fnnarr Fnnarr!)
[/quote]

My advice would be to get a 5 stringer that feels like your current 4 string favourites. If it has the same scale and feel then it will be much easier to swap between them.
Note: I mess around with a fretless at home. My first fretless attempt was with a totally different style of guitar and I just couldn't take to it at all and soon gave up as I just couldn't keep in tune. Now I play one that is similar to my fretted bas I get on far better.
With a similar 5'er you should be rocking into the distance in no time!

Good Luck

Edited by Pinball

Ibanez 5s would be my favourite, although I also like my ray 5. Tried a Squier 5 jazz yesterday and the neck is massive, not something I could play. But as others say, the Ibanez 505 is the good one, I recently sold one (as I upgraded to a 1605), they are very good.

A bit left field maybe, but these older Spectors are pretty good. I have had a 4-string version and they were made at the time when Spector were having issues with a partner in the USA so were made in Korea under the SSD name. Very like the full US spec basses so excellent vfm (imho).

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/257559-spector-ns-95-5-string-l300/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/257559-spector-ns-95-5-string-l300/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

You'd do well to try a Sterling by Musicman Ray 35. Based on the daddy of 5 strings, the SR5, if you like them then pick up a used Ray 35.

I played my SR5 at a gig last week end and had forgotten what a thunderous beast it could be - fabulous and focussed deep bass sound, killer B string (34 in scale).

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1425653523' post='2709438']
The new Sire Marcus Miller 5 string jazz basses are getting very, very good reps at the moment.

Only available over here from Thomanns but for £309 inc deliver, with an 18volt preamp, string through body, various finishes you cant really go wrong (unless you dont want any of the above :))

I got one the other week and its definitely on a par with much higher priced basses, although so are the latest Squier CV's etc. The EQ is very, very powerful, and it has a sweepable mid control, although you can run it passively as well.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/search.html?filter=true&gk=giebj5&manufacturer[]=Marcus%20Miller

Another personal recommendation is the Yamaha TRBX 305. Again, its active and the necks are very nice. Still under £400
[/quote]
+1 to all this. Yams are brilliant VFM.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1425592966' post='2709006']
Ibanez SR505/605 should be available for less than £400 second hand and worth every penny!
[/quote]

The SR-605 is an incredible 5 string for the money! I sold mine for £275 and regret it completely, stunning in every way!

[quote name='andy67' timestamp='1426343274' post='2717145']

The SR-605 is an incredible 5 string for the money! I sold mine for £275 and regret it completely, stunning in every way!
[/quote]

Yup! I love mine. For the small amount I actually need a 5 string, it's a great quality bass that can be picked up for a very reasonable price. Another ibanez (possibly the SR1405) would be first on my list if I ever felt I needed to upgrade but the SR605 is perfect for what I need right now!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1426413008' post='2717680']
I'd lock the other basses away tbh, the only to get the confidence to gig with it will be, well, to gig with it! Yes you will make mistakes but it's the only way imo, I locked my 4s away and just sold them all in the end!
[/quote]

I know i need to just concentrate on the 5 but my 4 strings are my short scales which i love and they're only both cheapies but i think i'd have to keep them.

After my gig next Friday i will put the shorties in their gig bags and just have the 5 on the stand. I do like playing it which i'm really pleased about so with a bit more effort i can hopefully progress with the Yam 👍

• 2 weeks later...