Why become a member? ×

Advice on a Fiver

Tripehound

A very late and happy postscript to this.

Many thanks for all the great advice from everyone. I ended up in Bass Direct and bought a Dingwall Super J 5 string after being completely smitten. I now use it routinely as everything else gathers dust.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:194492]

I suspect I will be buried with it.....

[quote name='MacDaddy' timestamp='1427243400' post='2727937']
Another possible option, is to use a Hipshot X tender, like wot I do.

It means I play a 4 string, but there are only 3 notes I don't have that a 5er does.
[/quote]

if im honest, I'm always surprised that people don't do this! I think the lowest note I've ever HAD to play was a D and that would be fine with the hipshot.

Personally, my 5 string is E-C and I just tune the E down to D if I need the bottom range :-)

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1452100939' post='2946429']
if im honest, I'm always surprised that people don't do this! I think the lowest note I've ever HAD to play was a D and that would be fine with the hipshot.

[/quote]

In my main covers band we play half a dozen songs in B.

I don't HAVE to play a low B in any of them.

But it's nice when I do.

:)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1452778322' post='2953378']

In my main covers band we play half a dozen songs in B.

I don't HAVE to play a low B in any of them.

But it's nice when I do.

:)
[/quote]

Its when you have to play B but don't, what causes the problems ;-)

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1425596746' post='2709052']
Yamaha BB425

G.
[/quote]
+1
I have a BB1025 string spacing is great and b string is nice and tight. the 425 is very similar, I have played a 424 which I thought nailed the P bass sound better than the 1024 I had at the time. so for £250 you can have a brand new 5 string p bass for a 5th of the cost of a fender 5er. cant go wrong IMHO

I had the same drama a few months ago and spent months pondering over fivers go out to shops and play a few. I found some to be way too wide at the nut and string spacing was to close (Ibanez) found Spector felt comfy. Still finding excuses to use the B but I'm glad I shopped about first cos I love it now. I'd still feel more at home with four but love the playability of my five. Don't go off recommendations. I was dead set on a Warwick till I played one and it totally didn't feel right. Upto you though. Hope this helps.

I went through this dilema years ago, and the only way to do it is trial and error as it is personal. I was worse than a poser in a shoe shop. After trying endless 5-stringers, I was losing sleep over whether to go for a Status or a Pedulla as they were both absolutely awesome. Then I tried a Musicman Stingray V, and that just blew the lot out of the water.