Why become a member? ×

Lost dogs - basses you wish you could buy back... Have you got it now?

Chiliwailer

[quote name='BassAgent' timestamp='1421502722' post='2662036']

And last but not least: the best deal I ever made. I got this all original JV Precision for €75, and it included a horrible Fender amp, Blue Note strap, pretty decent cable and stand. I sold it to buy a 5 string Lakland. I sold the Lakland for a Gretsch hollowbody. Sold that for a Fender Road Worn Precision. So I shouldn't have sold the JV. Basically, I sold it to buy a Precision. The guy I sold it to still owns it, plays it and loves it. As he should.

[/quote]

Why is this familiar? :lol:
I did the same thing with the '79 Precision i'm trying to find again, part ex'd it for an orange jazz,and shortly swapped that for '57 reissue precision.. :huh:

Circa 1977 p/xd a 58 Gibson EB2 on a new Precision. The Fender was a better bass all round but I miss that Gibson. Gibson bought in 1974 for £80 - they were not popular then. I bought it unseen from a music shop listing in Melody maker, being 14 and living in rural Herefordshire made it difficult to visit the big city and try kit out. Happy days in a different world.

[quote name='danweb22' timestamp='1422382913' post='2671981']
Would love to get my Shuker Uberhorn 5 back, had it built for me and I believe it has gone through a couple of members on here now (see members pic below as I don't have any of my own anymore!)

[attachment=182157:f7d55f9b.jpg]
[/quote]

I can remember when you had this bass advertised on eBay and I missed out. A few weeks later I thought "sod it...I'll call Jon and order one instead!".

A 1979 Pre EB stingray, despite refin and non original electronics and I had one of those 27 fret Jonas Hellborg basses-kind of wish I had kept that too. Apart from those two no regrets of the other 60 odd basses I've been through :)

I went through a huge phase of buying Yamaha TRB6 basses and loved them all but I had one, a TRB6p that was one of the nicest basses I have ever owned. I sold all my other TRB6s but kept that one until I had GAS for a Dingwall AB1 6 string. I very stupidly sold the TRB6p to fund the Dingwall. Gutted! It was a bass of beauty and of special significance plus, it was the one I used at High Voltage in 2010 and every time I see the video, I wish I had kept it. One day I hope that I'll get it back. In the mean time, I'm a converted Vigier user and I know this is never leaving me. GAS sucks sometimes.......

PS Sorry for the pic of me but, it shows the bass in all its glory at High Voltage.

i bought a dark green warwick streamer lx brand new in 98 (slim wenge neck) used it all over the world for years and it was a bit dinged. I sold it to buy a 90 neck through streamer in a refinished cherry red (which recently sold on here) which I didn't like nearly as much. I did see it turn up on ebay (the green one) few years later but didn't have the funds to buy it back, one of the best basses ive owned in 25 years of playin. I would also like back the ibanez musician I foolishly let go for £125, it did come up for sale on here a couple of years ago, but I didn't have the cash again :( I'm not even going to go into the ken smith and music man sterling I absolutely adored and moved on.

Edited by lee650

I have 3 basses I miss although only 2 of them i would buy back

1: Spector Legend Classic 5 in trans cherry red. My first 5 string and my first (and only to date) Spector. Bought it as I wanted a Spector so bad and wanted to delve in to 5 strings. Couldn't get on with the 5th string and ended up selling it. Regret selling it but wouldn't buy another. Bought and sold it for £300.

2: Tobias Toby Deluxe V: Bought it for £100 off here with the intention of fixing it up and giving 5 strings another go (this was a year after the Spector). Stuck a badass V bridge on it, EMG BQC pre amp and it was one of the best basses I ever owned. This time, i wasn't really using the low B much so i felt it was a waste, went back to my 4 string P bass and moved the Tobias on. Really wish I hadn't of done it and would happily buy it back if I could. Sold it for £200.

3: Squier VM77 Jazz bass. Black with maple board. Came originally with the pearl bound/blocked board but i swapped the neck with someone who had the natural VM Jazz (maple, black bound/blocked board) so it looked more like the Geddy Lee bass (after all that was the reason I bought it) then fitted a blue pearl pick guard, Fender neck plate, CTS & switchcraft electronics, graph tech black tusq nut, bridge/pick up ashtray covers and slung it low with flat wounds. Felt perfect to play and sounded good (i planned on upgrading the pick ups to SD QP Jazz at some point, didn't get round to it) but I needed money so it had to go. I would definitely buy it back if i could. Sold it for £250. It was worth more than that for definite!

Back in the early 1970s, I had a 1971 Rick 4001 in fireglo with chequered binding (which I had bought new) as my main bass and a 1960s Hofner Violin Bass. As the Hofner was not being used, in 1974 I sold it (complete with original case, and possibly original strings) for the princely sum of £15. Even at that I thought I had ripped the guy off because it played like a dog and sounded like someone kicking a dustbin. I'd love to have it back now just to sell for a sensible amount.

I later sold the Rick to a friend to raise the deposit for my first house. He still has it, and I would take it back in an instant if he'd sell.

On the guitar front, I had an old Kramer aluminium necked jobbie that didn't appear in any catalogues I could find. My son took it with him to uni, and borrowed a case off a friend to carry it around. When he left uni, he handed back the case - with the guitar still inside!!! The friend has now disappeared, along with the guitar. A few months ago, one of my mates was talking about it and was sure he'd seen a pic of my old geetar. He tracked it down - a prototype for the thing that a certain Mr van Halen played for a short while, apparently. Bum.

Just to show that these things also work the other way round, I took another of my sons (I have a collection) to see Extreme last year and we had the "meet the band" package. My lad took along the N4 he'd bought off ebay for Nuno to sign. As soon as Nuno saw it he said "wow - my old guitar - there was only one made in that colour". One happy son!!

My Fender Precision USA in Olympic White with Rosewood Neck - Serial No. Z8156183. I think it's a 2008. I sold it on here a few years back but can't track it down sadly :( Would love to get it back.

[URL=http://s85.photobucket.com/user/Linus27uk/media/Bass/Precision_zps2abc68cb.jpg.html][IMG]http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k46/Linus27uk/Bass/Precision_zps2abc68cb.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Edited by Linus27

I sold a 2003 MIM Precision which I had found in a right mess. He was black with a rosewood neck. I installed a Gotoh 201, SD SPB-3s and a black pick guard. I sold him middle of last year to fund a G&L tribute L2000 from my friend which H&S since plummeted in value. I like the G&L but I do miss my Precision. This has now swayed me to buy the Sandblasted Precision Fender have just released, so I look forward to personalising it a bit and making it one of my own :)

I'm enjoying seeing that some of you are finding your lost loves, maybe mine will turn up one day!

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1422465861' post='2673071']
Probably my only regret of late would be trading my black / maple Sadowsky M4 to Karlfer a few Christmases ago...

Don't get me wrong, the Fender AVRI '75 is killer, but I do still miss that black beauty!

Was an absolute steal in Guitar Guitar in Glasgow as well for only £999.00...!!
[/quote]

I have your Sadowsky now, she's a beaut. I doubt I'll ever sell her but if I do I'll let you know first...

My biggest regret was selling my Ampeg Skunkworks when I was skint a few years ago :(

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1424379162' post='2695782']

Nice one!

Was it the Epi LP Bass? How did you do it...cash, blackmail, murder???.
[/quote]

It sure is. Cash, along with registering an interest with the now previous owner about a year ago. You don't ask, you don't get ;)

Well it's really weird but the now previous owner got in touch with me 5 days after I posted on this thread. Dunno if he has an account here, so I don't know how spooky it actually is. I sold it back to him back in June 2010, it's been away quite a while. I did my first proper gigs with it. It's an important part of my musical life, but I wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't A) so damn fine looking and B) so bloody great sounding ;)

Edited by neepheid

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1421144450' post='2657507']
This modified Status Energy

I know someone on here has it and I'd love to get it back. I sold it to Bamboo and I know he sold it on.

At the time I didn't have the money to buy it back and I can't remember who bought it from him :(

It was a fretted bass, but it was in dire need of a refret and when I spoke to Status I ended up asking them to make a brand new fretless neck for it.

If anyone has it and wants to sell it, then please let me know!
[/quote]

[b][size=6]I GOT IT BACK!!![/size][/b]

[size=3]It just arrived. It's really made my day![/size]

[size=3]I haven't played fretless for ages so now the hard work begins again on intonation.[/size]