Why become a member? ×

Lost dogs - basses you wish you could buy back... Have you got it now?

Chiliwailer

2band natural stingray 4 string, maple neck, bought it around '92 with my student loan (very sensible in those days me), it was the one with the mute kit, had to sell it a number of years later to a music shop for an obscenely low price to fund a new washing machine, would love it or one like it back

Just got back a '72 Precision that I sold to a friend a few years ago.
First time I owned it I'd spent a lot of time refinishing it to the correct shade of Olympic white after the previous owner had stripped it and the good news is that it's now been gigged quite a bit and has some fantastic natural checking on the refin.
Looks great with original tort guard and plays sweetly with a neck adjust, set up and a new set of flats.
I've played one gig with it since I got it back, the tone was fantastic, punchy yet full with great playability and a slightly narrow neck profile that I've seen on a few 72's.
Had to trade a very good Rick for it but we're both happy.

Stingray 5 H in tobacco burst finish and a peavey grind 5.
They both looked rough but felt and sounded perfect to me. Also never had neck issues or any other symptom of bother.

These are the two I wish I could have back most, out of about 30 basses I've been through.

Not that I'm not happy with my current setup, just loved the feel of those two.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1427664065' post='2732882']
USA Fender Precision, 1976 - Olympic White, one-piece maple neck, black 3-ply guard... sold here nearly four years ago.
Hopefully coming home in a week or two! :gas:
[/quote]

I'm very pleased to report that the eagle has landed and will not be taking flight again... ;)
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260700-nobd-usa-fullerton-1976-precision-bass/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/260700-nobd-usa-fullerton-1976-precision-bass/[/url]

I really regret selling 3 basses, my Bass Collection SB801, it may be the only one ever built!, my Bass Collection SB602 Fretless (modified by Pete Davis) to a Ebony fretboard and my 78 Sunburst Precision, well the neck was 78, it turned out after I sold it the the body was a 1963, I doubt the bass exists anymore due to the way I was approached to sell it...but that's another story

I sold a Hohner fretless Jazz in about 2008 through HW Audio in Bolton, Greater Manchester. I don't suppose anybody knows where it went, do they? White with a tort scratchplate. I think it was an ebanol fingerboard too.

A mark 1 WAL (same as the one in the for sale section) which I HATED, cost me £400, if i'd only left it under the bed for a couple of decades instead of trading it in for a Warwick I'd be minted. :D
An Aria SB900 which I loved and is still available, but i'm not paying the current asking prices for them :shok:

The definition of anguish? Seeing your long lost bass of 25 years almost unbelievably re-appearing but on eBay and the feeling that you might not be the new owner :/

So here it is, a wonderful bass guitar that I stupidly let go over 20 years ago. Just last week I was having a bit of a window shop and couldn't quite believe my eyes as I appeared to be looking at my old bass.

I messaged the seller and we ended up having a really good conversation on the 'phone about the bass and sure enough the details of the instrument and it's history matched up perfectly.

I've a good knowledge of the instrument so have a very good idea of it's true value, but of course as I'm not the owner of it and as much as I would dearly like to be, that's not something I wanted to get involved in.

As I watch the ebay auction for the last hours I can't help feel just a little bit sad to see it but I won't get a chance to play, see or even own it again.

I hope it's in great shape and the new owner gets pleasure from it, but I guess this is a farewell.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161698017655?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

Edited by dood

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1431786915' post='2775002']
So here it is, a wonderful bass guitar that I stupidly let go over 20 years ago. Just last week I was having a bit of a window shop and couldn't quite believe my eyes as I appeared to be looking at my old bass.

I messaged the seller and we ended up having a really good conversation on the 'phone about the bass and sure enough the details of the instrument and it's history matched up perfectly.

I've a good knowledge of the instrument so have a very good idea of it's true value, but of course as I'm not the owner of it and as much as I would dearly like to be, that's not something I wanted to get involved in.

As I watch the ebay auction for the last hours I can't help feel just a little bit sad to see it but I won't get a chance to play, see or even own it again.

I hope it's in great shape and the new owner gets pleasure from it, but I guess this is a farewell.

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161698017655?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT"]http://www.ebay.co.u...K%3AMEBIDX%3AIT[/url]

[/quote]

early 60's script on the head stock and old style tuners. Holes for ash tray but none vintage bridge. Some sort of early fullerton RI?

The neck and body aren't from the same bass. The neck is an 80's and yes an RI version, not an early original. The pick ups, scratch plate and knobs aren't original and it has had it's original finish removed.

Last week I was sent this scanned Polaroid photo from 1975 of me and my fretless Rick.It was my main bass for a couple of years and I love get it back. I used it in a Wishbone Ash tribute band before tribute bands become popular.

The skinny girl with the grey hair was my bird at the time.

Edited by Bassman Sam

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Oneandfive' timestamp='1420922572' post='2655170']
....my Shaftesbury R&&&Kfekker copy with grafted-on Gibson pickup. (Classy guy, me).Much better than you might think.
[/quote]

I had one of these, in my first spell of bass playing (far too many years ago to even think about now......)
I picked it up for 70 quid at the time
Absolutely loved it - really nice player, great sound

It was more comfortable to play than the genuine Rick I later owned
My reason for selling it, was that it was due a re-fret, which was a costly process for my younger self
So I traded it in, against a Westone Thunder Jet (the 1st 24 fret bass I ever saw at the time)

Really wish I'd kept that Shaftesbury - they were fabulous, or at least mine, and another one a pal owned were
Would like another - but I now have too many basses anyway....
Wish I could find my old one

EDIT: Mine had original pups, and these were good

Edited by Marc S

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1427657940' post='2732783']
[attachment=187784:IMG_3133.jpg]
[attachment=187785:IMG_3134.jpg]

Last seen being sold by a buffoon some 20 years ago to a guy from Bury St Edmunds. Yes, I was young a stupid!
[/quote]

Grangur found her again Dood... http://basschat.co.uk/topic/264850-fender-or-pretender-no328/

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1435325721' post='2807733']
Grangur found her again Dood... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/264850-fender-or-pretender-no328/"]http://basschat.co.u...retender-no328/[/url]
[/quote]

Oh wow I'm on it ...

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1435325721' post='2807733']
Grangur found her again Dood... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/264850-fender-or-pretender-no328/"]http://basschat.co.u...retender-no328/[/url]
[/quote]

Snapped up on eBay, I missed out on the auction. I suspect it is long gone now, but of anyone spots it out in the wild, do let me know!*

*read as 'back on eBay'

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Marc S' timestamp='1435140994' post='2805808']
I had one of these, in my first spell of bass playing (far too many years ago to even think about now......)

Really wish I'd kept that Shaftesbury - they were fabulous........

[/quote]

I've quoted myself here, because I had always regretted selling my Shaftesbury Rick copy
I only sold it, cos it needed a re-fret
and always wished I had got that done.
At the time, in my early 20's I couldn't afford it, and would not realise how rare these were to become
.. and just how good they actually were

Anyhow, on returning to playing after 25 years abstinence
I searched high & low for another one of these beauties, but I searched in vain
If I saw one on ebay, it got pulled
I think I only saw 1 get to sale completed - and that went for well over 500 quid !

But the other day, I managed to track one down locally :)
Last night I took it to rehearsal, and plugged it into my gigging rig for the 1st time

I was utterly blown away by how good this bass is
Honeslty, I recently owned the "real thing" - and that was no match for my copy
The tone is immense! And it's far, far more comfortable to play

I haven't posted a pic here, as I don't wish to upset anyone,
knowing how upset Rick*******r can get

Although it's not the bass I originally owned,
I'm well pleased to have tracked down one of these increasing rare
superbly built instruments :) :) :)

• 3 weeks later...

Sold a Tokai Hardpuncher TWICE, because I couldn't quite get the sound I wanted out of her, when really I just didn't know what sort of pickups I was after.

I bought her brand new in a shop in Bath around 2003/4. Made in Japan with new style headstock, cream with matching headstock, gold hardware. I managed to find a rare P bass Pickup cover in gold for it as well.

The last person I sold it to Steve on Finnbass. I believe he still had it according to a post in 2013. I hope to get her back one day, a lot of memories in that bass! Many of my first decent gigs were played on it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't think I would want to buy back any of the basses I've sold... I sold them all to build up to what I have now, which I'm very happy with, but I do have fond memories of a few of them as being excellent instruments.

I had an 84 MIJ P that was a wonderful instrument and also a G&L L2000 tribute I really liked... My first bass when I got back into playing a few years back was a spector legend sixer and that was a whole lot of bass for the money.

Edited by CamdenRob

I wouldn't want most of them back, none of the Precisions (couple of 70s and an 80s - in those days I didn't care what year they were) and definitely not the Jetglo 4001, oddly the only one I'd have back would be the B&W Aria ZZB Custom I flogged off for bugger all in the late 80s...