Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

[quote name='Tripehound' timestamp='1425837854' post='2711295']
Consensus seems in favour of the white one. The sunburst looked nice in the 'unpacking' video but that seems a finish that can be make or break. Has anyone seem a sunburst one?
[/quote]

Yup the white for me too. Are there any passive options or are they all active?

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1425977891' post='2712856']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPKV0QF9Scg&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player[/url]

have a look guys, sounds nice to my ears....
[/quote]

Have a read through the thread, you will see its been posted a few times i believe ;-)
its an old clip. It think there are two versions of this.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1425989405' post='2713056']
Nice Like the sunburst one and a good starter bass I'd say
[/quote]

Much better than a starter going by some of the responses here... could be a main squeeze by the look.
However I'd have to reserve judgement until I get one in my hands... :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425989645' post='2713061']
Much better than a starter going by some of the responses here... could be a main squeeze by the look.
However I'd have to reserve judgement until I get one in my hands... :)
[/quote]

Definitely my main squeeze for now. I got rid of my more costly basses a few years ago, as i realised that i didnt need to spend a fortune to get a playable bass (and lets not pretend £300 is peanuts anyway). so im really only coming from Squiers and my TRBX.

Just noticed these have gone down a bit on Thomanns, the 5 sting Alder/RW is only £305 inc shipping.
Madness when you think the Americans cant even get hold of them at the moment.
In fact it made me chuckle when i read over on TB that some were thinking about ordering from Thomanns. Normally its us in Europe that order from the states.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1426158304' post='2714991']
I was almost hoping to hear negative feedback about them ...but they seem too good at this price to miss!
[/quote]

Thinking I might wait until the fuss dies down, then make a decision... but of course the price may go up in that time...

This is just the first wave, apparently the Americans cant get hold of theirs yet due to the port strike and backlog.

I just noticed on the Sire website there is a message saying the V7 5 strings are sold out, next shipment within the next couple of months.

Still in stock on Thomanns at the moment.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1426118998' post='2714757']
Just noticed these have gone down a bit on Thomanns, the 5 sting Alder/RW is only £305 inc shipping.
[/quote]
And the B stock ones are only £286.
:blink:
Look, for god's sake, this is doing my GAS no good at all and if I fail to resist, Mrs.Dog will drag me to the vet for an intimate surgical procedure. Please please, I beg of you, somebody tell me these basses are actually crap and that I don't want one. Please.

Nice review posted on Facebook recently. Looks like the preamp has a trim pot which is nice. As much as I love the passive tone the volume does jump up when active is engaged and the low end is boosted a bit.

Someone else found this review and posted it on Talkbass, but i thought it would be nice to have it here as well.
https://www.facebook.com/JCsGroove/posts/10154026861625190

@Jauqo. I noticed your video is also on this guys FB page as well. Nice tone.

Edited by dave_bass5

Actually, for those not on Facebook this is it. I don't know who the guy is, so take it as you will. Sorry about the formatting, this is how it comes off FB.

Wassup groove family??!! Here's the unsolicited review From my tech, Robert Scoby... Pay close attention...he's telling the whole truth cause he doesn't benefit from this at all!!
For those interested, here are some initial thoughts on the Sire Marcus Miller bass (Alder w/ Rosewood). 1. Out-of-the-box, the bass is setup very well. The neck is straight (almost too straight = +.002@7th fret). Action is a bit high (1st string = .115, 5th string = .137 both measured @17th fret). Nut action is perfect, very comfortable at the 1st position. The bridge radius matches the neck well. It appears that someone took some time with it before it left the factory, which is rare in this price point. The finish is good, not Pedula or Fodera good, but the colors are blended well with little or no wave showing. It appears to be a good quality acrylic or poly. No vintage nitro here for 500 bones. 2. Pros…… The electronics are on-par with any high end system available (Bartolini-Aguilar etc) and I am picky when it comes to preamps. Only the potentiometer quality being a bit questionable. The pot shafts are a bit weak and bend easily and the tapers are very sensitive. The wiring is first rate. It has the look and feel of traditional cotton wire, but is actually a textured PVC coating. The layout of the preamp board is clean and simple-with a gain-match mini pot mounted on it to even out the change from passive to active mode. The PASSIVE TONE is exceptional. The alnico pickups are wound beautifully and have a perfect midrange growl. I would put it up to ANY strong vintage Jazz Bass. The ACTIVE tones are versatile and work well with the pickups. The active circuit is equipped with separate Bass / Treble and Mid Boost-Cut / Freq Sweep. The sweep’s detent position is so good that you could just leave it alone and adjust the gain only, but it is still there to be used if needed. There is a lot of controls going on in a minimum of space to it takes a bit to get accustomed to the lack of real estate on the control plate. All cavities are shielded in traditional graphite paint-which is done very cleanly. The neck is comfy, even if it is a bit wide for a 5 string. The wide feel may be due to the 7 inch radius, but then again I have Hobbit hands and prefer a slimmer traditional JB neck. The frets are thin but tall (my personal favorite) at .080 x .046. Think Lakeland. 3. Cons….. The tuners are terrible…period. Overly tight and notchy even without being strung up. They do their job but that’s about it. I recommend swapping out for some nice Hipshot replacements as soon as possible. They have to save money somehow. The Bridge is, well, bulky and cheap feeling, definitely not elegant to say the least. The main gripe is that when top-loading the strings, the strings enter directly beneath the intonation screw-not beside it. This causes a sharp sideways pull on the string just to get it to line up on the saddle. When bottom loading, the strings line up straight and true. 4. Summary…. I want one for myself….I will be talking to Jackie about that soon. Overall is far and beyond better than any Squier, Ibanez, Epi or any other brand I can think of in the 500.00 range. I dare say even better (in some respects) than a Skyline. I never had an option to get an instrument of this quality on a budget when I started to play 35 years ago and as I understand it, this bass is aimed at the beginner market or a solid backup. I regularly work on instruments in the 1K range that do not sound or play as well out of the box. It’s not a Smith or Fodera, but then again it’s not meant to be. With just a little bit of setup-love rubbed on it after purchase, I would have no issues pulling a gig with it. I personally would spend an extra bill-and a-half and upgrade the tuners and can live with the bridge. There is absolutely no need to change any part of the electronics…the pickups and preamp are that good.

Edited by dave_bass5