Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1424462193' post='2696684']
Are they Japanese basses? I thought they were Korean - not that it matters.
[/quote]

Andy you're probably right. Their site doesn't say much, for some reason I had it in my mind they were Japanese. Korean makes more sense given the price.

Black 5 V7 sat idle in a Thomann basket. Does the wife really need a birthday present this month? Maybe she'd like a bass

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1424462989' post='2696698']

Black 5 V7 sat idle in a Thomann basket. Does the wife really need a birthday present this month? Maybe she'd like a bass
[/quote]

If she doesn't like it i supose you could play it, just so it doesn't go to waste eh?

White/RW V7 5 sitting in mine.

[quote name='dieseldalziel' timestamp='1424457084' post='2696594']
[color=#141414]Got mine today at 3.30pm.. It's a wonderful instrument. It feels great-very tactile. The build quality seems very high,very well finished. The action is reasonably low out of the box & with the pick up cover on would need to come down a touch. I've just had a little bit of time playing & the electronics will provide a huge range of tones with some really nice growly lows & sweet highs! Here's some pics..[/color]

[url="https://www.flickr.com/photos/daddalziel/sets/72157650941569855/"]https://www.flickr.c...57650941569855/[/url]
[/quote]
Nice bass! Any idea what the weight is?

I am so tempted by the V7 in white, been finding myself drawn to Jazz basses in that colour scheme lately. I really don't need another bass but at that price it seems almost rude not to! The only snag is that every time I look at the pics I get to the headstock and think, hmmm it is pretty grim. I play a Bongo for Christ sake, you'd think the look of the headstock would be the last thing to bother me! 😀

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1424508258' post='2696993']
I am so tempted by the V7 in white, been finding myself drawn to Jazz basses in that colour scheme lately. I really don't need another bass but at that price it seems almost rude not to! The only snag is that every time I look at the pics I get to the headstock and think, hmmm it is pretty grim.
[/quote]

Squier VM Jazz incoming?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424509164' post='2697015']

Squier VM Jazz incoming?
[/quote]
Would be really interested to hear the V7 and a VMJ A/B'd. I'm guessing the pre-amp on the V7 will give it the edge and justify the small extra cost. Like I said Mark, I play a Bongo so you'd think I wouldn't be worried about aesthetics!

Right, just ordered a White/RW V7 5 string.
I don't need it, I can't really afford it, I might not even like it, but hey ho, I'm sure I will. Hopefully it will arrive on Wed. Going to my work so the plan is to take my white CV jazz to work, and come home with the new bass. Crafty eh?

I almost got a VM5 last year. Very close in fact. What put me off was the wide nut, and I really don't like blocks on a maple fretbord (although I can live with it). I edned up with the Yamaha as the nut width is very comfortable. The V7 is a bit wider than the Yamaha, but it seems like it's the same as Laklands, and I love those necks.
I'm also very attracted to the smaller frets. I don't really like Med-jumbo frets, other than my Yamaha all my basses have banjo or vintage sized frets, and I find these easer it to play cleanly (yes, I have bad technique :).

Quite looking forward to it, although I'm not sure where that will leave the Yamaha. I don't notmally like having too any basses just sitting around, but ive tried to sell it a couple of time and just can't bring myself to.

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1424516119' post='2697132']
I'd have to get a stealth black carrier bag for the Bongo, don't want it to clash with the finish!
[/quote]

Excellent plan

In all seriousness, the V7 headstock is not it's most endearing feature.

Edited by Marvin

Dan, defo GAS. I was quite happy with the Yamaha this time last week. Just settling down with it.
Then again, my love for jazz basses wouldn't let me get 100% with it, so it was only a matter of time. At this price point, and it coming from Thomanns I have nothing to lose really.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1424518151' post='2697170']
Excellent plan

Is all seriousness, the V7 headstock is not it's most endearing feature.
[/quote]

I'd say the headstock is a lot prettier than the G&L or Dan Lakin headstocks.

Edited by dave_bass5

I've never liked the G&L headstock, so in comparison the V7 is a lot better.

I don't know what's going on with the D Lakin headstocks. They're not hideous, but look like a poor stab at sort of emulating the very early Fender head and sort of not really getting there

[quote name='ern500evo' timestamp='1424515612' post='2697122']
I play a Bongo so you'd think I wouldn't be worried about aesthetics!
[/quote]

Quite. *Cough* Bogseat! *Cough*

I think the 'problem', if you want to call it that, with the V7 headstock is that it's actually bigger than the Fender headstock, which itself is bloody massive considering what it has to do - and is really only that size because it has to hold equally bloody massive tuners. Leo had little choice in 1950 as far as tuners were concerned, and could only source ex-bass viol tuners which were huge. Remember, no-one was making third-party bass guitar tuners back then!

It's only when you spend time with a Spector or other non-Fender bass that you realise tuners and headstocks just don't have to [i]be [/i]that big nowadays to be effective and look great. Fenders and Fender clones have really huge, cartoon-like paddles when you look at them objectively.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424522103' post='2697248']
Quite. *Cough* Bogseat! *Cough*

I think the 'problem', if you want to call it that, with the V7 headstock is that it's actually bigger than the Fender headstock, which itself is bloody massive considering what it has to do - and is really only that size because it has to hold equally bloody massive tuners. Leo had little choice in 1950 as far as tuners were concerned, and could only source ex-bass viol tuners which were huge. Remember, no-one was making third-party bass guitar tuners back then!

It's only when you spend time with a Spector or other non-Fender bass that you realise tuners and headstocks just don't have to [i]be [/i]that big nowadays to be effective and look great. Fenders and Fender clones have really huge, cartoon-like paddles when you look at them objectively.
[/quote]

Oh thanks, thanks a lot. There I was looking forward to seeing my new bass arrive, enjoy it's aesthetic and now I have buyers remorse and a sea of doubt... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

:D

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1424524061' post='2697286']
Oh thanks, thanks a lot. There I was looking forward to seeing my new bass arrive, enjoy it's aesthetic and now I have buyers remorse and a sea of doubt... :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :D
[/quote]

Ha! If you're that easily swayed, you should cancel the order! I did say it was a 'problem', i.e. not a problem. ;)
Personally I think the MM V7 headstock looks great and I would happily appear in public AND in my bedroom with one...