Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424522103' post='2697248']

It's only when you spend time with a Spector or other non-Fender bass that you realise tuners and headstocks just don't have to [i]be [/i]that big nowadays to be effective and look great. Fenders and Fender clones have really huge, cartoon-like paddles when you look at them objectively.
[/quote]

Yep, thats what attracted me to the Yamaha. Much smaller headstock and still 5 tuners on it, with no need of a retaining bar.

[attachment=185012:10888687_10153115160959648_4638238790730761256_n.jpg]New Marcus Miller V7 5 string arrived in great condition and played at rehearsal Monday night, sounds great and loads of different tones cannot find any faults.Looking good :) will post photos.

Edited by gazza70

[quote name='gazza70' timestamp='1424982959' post='2702681']
New Marcus Miller V7 5 string arrived in great condition and played at rehearsal Monday night, sounds great and loads of different tones cannot find any faults.Looking good :) will post photos.
[/quote]

Very nice. From what I can gather thus far these are shaping up to be something of a bargain.

Mine just arrived. Wow, what a lovely bass. It was only a quick unbox and twang as im at work, but a quick look over it and it seems to be finished to a very high standard (except the truss rod cavity). It reminds me a lot of my Lakland basses. The neck is really nice, low action (i cant see me needing to tweak it much0 and its nice to get back to the smaller frets.
Wont plug it in until tonight, but so far im over the moon. I cant see my Yamaha lasting much longer.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1425036343' post='2703188']
Wow, what a lovely bass. It was only a quick unbox and twang as im at work, but a quick look over it and it seems to be finished to a very high standard (except the truss rod cavity). It reminds me a lot of my Lakland basses.
[/quote]

Gah! The GAS is building up... :)

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1425040453' post='2703271']
As a precaution in case the carrier bag comes off while you're playing, be sure to put a paper bag over your own head as well.
[/quote]

Just put a paper bag over [i]everybody's [/i]head, play a recording of some nice music and have a crafty Sherman.

[quote name='dieseldalziel' timestamp='1425049193' post='2703416']
Yeah me too! I'll wait though as having seen some pics of different styles colour options to the ones already out in case they release them at a later date...
[/quote]

Yeah, im in no rush, and it will be very interesting to see how the line develops over the next 12 months or so.

I really cant get over how nice the neck feels to me, i know ive said it already but its so close to how i remember my Laklands, yet so much cheaper.
I really struggled to get comfortable with my TRBX505 but ive instantly taken to the V7.

I did notice there isnt a lot of room under the G string. The action is ultra low but the pick guard seems very close to the G. Not a problem for me as i play with a pick most of the time, but it struck me as a bit odd that i couldnt get my fingers under it without almost touching the string.

Edited by dave_bass5

I played mine at practice on Friday and was thoroughly taken with it. It's now my go to bass and will be for the foreseeable. It has a great tone that really can be clearly heard in the mix. It's very loud, well, I thought it was. I had my amp set at the volume I'd normally have it and had to turn it down quite a bit.

Very happy.

Dave. The G on mine is low, probably lower than on my other basses but it doesn't sound as if it's as low as yours maybe...but then I don't play slap either :)

Although Ive not played mine through a proper amp yet I can tell it's definitely going to work for me, and yes, it's more powerful than my other basses. I had to back the input level off on my Focusrite 2i2 quite a bit once the active was on and I was adjusting the EQ. Very nice.

I won't bother with moving the G string, it's nice where it is, maybe it's to do with the fretboard radius being a lot rounder than im used to. I normaly prefer a flatter radius but I really like this one. It definitely feels very different to my Yamaha, but not in a bad way.

The active EQ probably makes a more marked difference than on the other actives I have owned, especially the treble. I really do like the sweepable mids as well.

I've got the TRBX504 (so, coincidently I have the 4 string versions of your 5s Dave :) ) and I'd agree, they feel is different, each having their own positives. Both very good basses but I really do think that unfortunately I'm going to sell the 504 as I don't think it'll get out of its case anymore.

Are the stock strings on these D'addarios of just generic strings? I am a bit interested in these basses but not sure I will like the active side of it I used to love active basses but not so much now I know I can run this passive so just hoping the pups have plenty of punch in passive mode

Yep, agree with all that and I expect I'll sell my 505 as well. As much as I love it I only need one 5 string bass, and as I love jazz basses the choice is obvious.
I'll give it a few gigs to settle in though. Its quite a bit heavier as well, I'll see how it feels on a 2 hour set first.