Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

I know it can be said as hype, mainly due to the low price and name attached, but as an actual owner I can only agree with all that was said in the review.
It's not a must have bass, but at that price and quality it's no wonder they are selling fast. It looks like Thomanns is now the only place you can get them, even Sire have sold out and there won't be any more for a couple of months apparently.

At least this will give those thinking about getting one a bit more time to read user reports and see if they are all loved a few months down the line. I know mine will be, although ive also decided to keep my TRBX as well both nice basses but both very different.

I gigged mine for the first time saturday, very impressed! That review is pretty accurate. Admittedly I did switch to my Warwick for the second half of saturdays gig, but it has been my go to bass for a long time and some habits are just hard to break! The Sire will definitely be staying with me, that's for sure!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1426707485' post='2721181']
Nice.
My first gig will be this Sat. Im forward to hearing the bass through a loud rig, but a bit apprehensive as I know it's going to sound very lively, and quite different to what Im used to. I hope I can tame it within a few songs.
[/quote]
[i]"Turn it up ...or turn it off!"[/i] - Miles Davis

Haha, I expect it to be very loud. Tbe active side seems very powerful.
It's more the top end I might struggle with. When I play with a pick it's white bright sounding, even with the EQ tweaked. Finger style is fine.

Edited by dave_bass5

Right, first gig out of the way and it's all looking positive.
This was the first gig ive done without my Darkglass VMTD. I felt it was worth hearing just the bass on its own.
The tone was very nice, solid without being boomy (not normally the case with this venue). I mainly used the neck pup as I like the warm round tone, but I did use the bridge pup a few times. The rear pup is very powerful and has loads of growl. There was no drop in volume going from front to back pup. I opened the bass up the other night and turned down the active circuit a bit, it's more balanced with the passive sound now so going between the two was easier. The passive tone definitely sounded more earthy, but lost some of the depth. Certainly usable though.
I did fiddle with the EQ quite a bit, mainly the mids, but the rest of the band decided to play louder than we had soundchecked, so I was a bit low in the mix. This made it a bit harder to judge what the EQ was doing, but at no point did I hear anything nasty (at least not from my rig lol).
Because the neck radius is quite curved I did have to concentrate more on what I was doing further up the neck. The width wasn't a problem but this neck feels very different to my TRBX so wasn't quite as comfortable and natural as im used to. No bum notes though so it's not an issue.
Weight. This bass is heavy. It's just under 10lbs. My TRBX is around 8.5lbs. We played two sets over 2.5 hours. It was fine, but I wouldn't want to do a straight 2.5 hours with it.
I almsot didn't take the bass though. I got a new Ritter gig bag for it and the bag is lovely. Fake leather, well padded and definitely the best gig bag ive ever owned. Unfortunately with the bass in it it was just too heavy to put on one shoulder, or even two to be honest. I'm used to lighter so this is just a personal thing, but in the end I put the bass in the only other gig bag that fits and hoped for the best. It was ok though. I'll probably sell the new one or send it back. I have a Sire bag coming at some point anyway.

So, all in all, very happy with my £300 bass. I can see it being my main bass for a while, although I'm keeping the TRBX as I love that bass as well. Choice is good at keeping the GAS away.

Edited by dave_bass5

Mine was well set up but not for me. I play with a pick so i had to raise the action a bit. That was just a personal thing though, another guy here who plays felt it was perfect (light finger playing).

Strings are D'addario XL's so that was nice, as these are what i normally use.

Quick crappy phone pic from the gig on Sat.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm halfway through a gig at the moment. The bass, along with my Darkglass sound soooo large. Half the set so far was in passive mode. I've got passive set slightly louder than active mode, so when I switch to active the levels remain pretty similar, just the tone changes.

This gig was the first gig I did with my TRBX505, and the B string on that sounded ok, but nowhere near as punchy and clear as the V7. The B string on the TRBX sounds soft and squishy compared to the V7. Same strings, same rig, same stage.
Love it.!!!!'

[quote name='Bass Pedal Geek' timestamp='1428183269' post='2738980']
Would like to try one of these basses, but would not put up my hopes too high. Not that I think they're crap or anything, but I'd rather leave room for being pleasantly surprised than the other way around, tbh... :-)
[/quote]

I couldn't ignore the overwhelming number of positive reviews, & ordering from Thomann it's a no risk situation.. VERY happy with mine :)