Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

Yep.....almost. Not the best if you want a lightweight bass, nor if you don't care for active basses, but on the whole, I can't imagine any other jazz bass offing what these do for this money.

I'm considering getting a 4 string version next year, although I'd like a M3 first as I also like humbuckers and will be missing my TRBX by then.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1438018736' post='2830918']
I must admit Ive stopped using mine for now. Gone back to a plain of' 4 string P bass.
I doubt I'll ever get rid of it, as I'm sure I'll use it again.
[/quote] Haha I'm in this camp :)

Folded. Just ordered the tobacco burst alder 5 from Thomann.

I blame Paul Turner for this! Had sworn off jazz basses until I saw his masterclass in Dublin on Saturday... It'll hardly compare to his AC, but the YouTube videos sound excellent!

Hamish you aren't closer as you could have come to me and played mine through my Retro Two 10 :-)

I had the chance to put mine up against a Fender MIA last weekend when trying out my Retro. Although the strings on the V7 weren't as new as the MIA, and im pretty sure the MIA had steels and not Nickels, i felt it held its own in passive mode, and kicked the MIA out of the room when active was engaged lol.
I think the V7 is a bit more middy, not quite as scooped as the MIA, but as every Jazz bass ive ever owned has sounded slightly different anyway i dont count this as a negative. The EQ is very, very powerful though and its unbelievable value for money.
I dont use mine at the moment, I just dont need that 5th string, but i plan on getting a 4 string early next year when i get bored with my P bass.

Has anyone carried out any mods yet? I'll be changing the volume/blend/tone for volume/volume/tone if I can! Hopefully just use the current tone control on the stacked pot as the second volume and replace the blend pot (probably a stereo pot with a detent at centre position) with a suitable tone pot.

It'll depend on how the whole thing preamp is built though - haven't seen any pics of the preamp as yet.

EDIT: a quick Google search reveals that my v/v/t plan will work! Pics of the rear of the control plate are up on a for sale site somewhere!

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1438859121' post='2838064']
I think i posted some pics of the internals, along with Mark earlier in this thread, although it might have been another thread.

[/quote]

Can't see your pic Dave (could be 'cos I'm using my work pc... Shhhhh!), but discrete's pic is visible and confirms it should be possible.

Edited by Bigwan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

[quote name='jassbass' timestamp='1443354338' post='2874028']
I regret selling my sire v7,might get another one day
[/quote] I considered trading mine a while back...that was until I took it too rehearsal with my 'other' band and now it's back to 5 string with that outfit and the Sires staying!!!

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1443310546' post='2873830']

Sire will be releasing a 5 and 6 string version of the M3 very soon. The model is called the M7.
[/quote]
Wow, that's awesome- any idea on release dates? 😎

Edited by Raslee

[quote name='timhiggins' timestamp='1443461002' post='2874937']
Im thinking of getting a v7 but not sure whether to opt for ash or alder, is there a lot of difference tonally ?
and also can you still use tone control when passive ??
[/quote]

Tone wise the difference is the same as any two basses made from those woods.

Passive mode has a working tone knob, exactly as per a standard jazz bass.

o.k. thanks ..the reason i ask is that my j retro has no tone control in passive mode

and regarding the wood type to go for i notice some reviews state the v7 has more mid and growl than a standard jazz
therefore i was wondering if the alder may be better suited to me as i dont generally like a to aggressive sound

Well i cant really help with the wood differences, but i have the Alder/RW V7 and it definitely has more mid growl than any other Jazz ive owned, inc Alder basses.
I believe this combo will be warmer compared to the Ash/maple versions, but cant really confirm it as ive not played any other V7.

• 2 weeks later...