Why become a member? ×

New cheap Marcus Miller endorsed range of basses - Sire

Clarky

I've just hit a snag with mine. Over the past 8 years ive always used the same gig bag. It's a cheap Levis one but it has the strap going all the way up to the headstock. This sits just below my headline and is perfect for getting on and off the Tube etc. Even had my Laklands (35" neck), Fender MIA's etc in it.
Now I find the V7 doesn't fit. It's too long. Bugger.
So, now I'm on the lookout for a new bag, that sits low, isn't bulky and has stowaway back pack straps. I was set on getting the Mono bass sleve but again, the V7 is a bit too deep, thanks to the stacked knobs.
The bass does fit in my other gig bags but I dont want to use those as they sit very high about my head.
Tempted to go for the Mono M80 or Vertigo, even though they say max depth is 3".

Any suggestions?

I use a vertigo on a 70's jazz, I'm sure it would fit the V7. Happy to lug this around rush hour tube etc - depends on your definition of bulky.

Edit: re Height of bag - I'm 5'11 and don't have to stoop (much?) getting through tube doors, although normally just hold it upright - rucksacks on the tube contravene Commuter Law #26.

Edited by Drax

Thanks Drax.

I suppose i could take the bag off my shoulders when im in the tube system, im just used to not having, as i also have a rucksack with my so wearing two rucksack type bags isnt really going to work. Normally i have both just hanging off my right shoulder. I'd have to stop and take the bass off if i wore it like a rucksack.
The other option is of course to just carry the bass, but im not too comfortable with that, and i find getting through the crowds works better with the bass close to my body.

The higher the straps on the case the better i suppose.

There is a lot of hype about these at the moment. Most is true as far as fit and finish etc goes, but at just over £300 why expect anything less these days.

I wouldn't say these were any better than the Squier VM/CV series as far as build quality and finish goes. Apparently they make everything in house, so that's how they can keep the costs down. They aren't outsourcing much.

Saying that, I went for one because I wanted a 5 string jazz, but don't like med jumbo frets like the Squier has, and didn't want to spend much on one. I also love the look of the neck, and.....well, the specs matched what I wanted. IMO you can tell its a cheap bass, small tell tale signs, but for what it offeres I'd say it stands out above most of the other basses at this price point.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1425233617' post='2705381']
...for what it offers I'd say it stands out above most of the other basses at this price point.
[/quote]

Well there you have it. I'm sure Sire did their research and obviously know full well about the competition. If they hadn't raised the bar there would be no reason to buy one and therefore no reason to make them in the first place. Supply and demand.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425233950' post='2705390']

Well there you have it. I'm sure Sire did their research and obviously know full well about the competition. If they hadn't raised the bar there would be no reason to buy one and therefore no reason to make them in the first place. Supply and demand.
[/quote]

I really see it as Squier raised the bar, Sire are just offering alternatives at the same price point.
Not convinced about needing a 18volt preamp (it will cost more to run), but it's nice to have it on offer at this price point IF you want one. Personally I'd have preferred a passive bass at an even cheaper price.
Not knocking Sire or the bass, I just don't see it standing out above the rest as much as some do.

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1425234553' post='2705401']

What are these small tell sighns that let's you know that it's a cheap bass?
[/quote]

The tuners seem low quality. They work fine but they look cheap to me. The knobs feel and look cheap. Again, they work fine but to me it looks like they were cheaply implemented. Too long and can get knocked easier. The truss rod cavity cut out in the body is unfinished. It's painted but not coated. The bridge seems low spec and has some sharp edges.
As I said, it all works perfectly, no complaints at all, but I don't feel it's a bass that might cost double or more like some have said on the Internet.

All this is in line with the latest Squier's though, so it's not a deal breaker IMO.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1425234772' post='2705403']
I really see it as Squier raised the bar, Sire are just offering alternatives at the same price point.
Not convinced about needing a 18volt preamp (it will cost more to run), but it's nice to have it on offer at this price point IF you want one. Personally I'd have preferred a passive bass at an even cheaper price.
Not knocking Sire or the bass, I just don't see it standing out above the rest as much as some do.
[/quote]

Does Squier offer a model with such a active pre amp? The pre is very sensitive and at the slightest turn of any knob and a huge difference in tone or volume is detected, The 18 volt system in this perticular brand of bass does show a huge sighn of difference in the head room department. The qaulity and attention to fret dressings is up there with basses costing a lot more.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1425234772' post='2705403']
Not convinced about needing a 18-volt preamp (it will cost more to run)
[/quote]

Given how long a battery lasts in an active bass I think worrying about the cost of an 18-volt setup is a moot point. And I think Sire are offering more than Squier for sure. As far as I'm concerned an 18V preamp is a Unique Selling Point that a lot of people will appreciate.

Don't want to join in with a big argument or anything, this is just my opinion, obviously. :) YMMV, etc.

[quote name='JAUQO III-X' timestamp='1425235336' post='2705419']

Does Squier offer a model with such a active pre amp? The pre is very sensitive and at the slightest turn of any knob and a huge difference in tone or volume is detected, The 18 volt system in this perticular brand of bass does show a huge sighn of difference in the head room department. The qaulity and attention to fret dressings is up there with basses costing a lot more.
[/quote]
No, Squier doesn't offer an 18 volt pre, that's what I already said. I see or feel no difference in finish to my Squier CV basses ( I have two).
It's a very powerful bass, no question about that, but I'm probably going to use it passive most of the time so it's not a big selling point to me.

Really, I'm not down on the bass or Sire, I just think these days you should expect this sort of quality for this sort of money, ive certainly come to expect this over the past 5 years of going budget exclusively. Ive not had any issues with any bass since I gave up spending silly money on gear. 3 Fender MIA's had issues, I ended up getting a Fender HW-one Jazz that had a ramp at the end of the neck, then my Squiers. No issues at all and better playability.

Anyway, I took a shot of my two jazz basses today, they make a nice pair.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rqkgFu][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/rqkgFu]All that jazz.[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/people/30114189@N05/]Dave Pearce (London)[/url], on Flickr

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425235807' post='2705433']

Given how long a battery lasts in an active bass I think worrying about the cost of an 18-volt setup is a moot point. And I think Sire are offering more than Squier for sure. As far as I'm concerned an 18V preamp is a Unique Selling Point that a lot of people will appreciate.

Don't want to join in with a big argument or anything, this is just my opinion, obviously. :) YMMV, etc.
[/quote]

Definitely no argument from me. I think my posts are coming across in the wrong way so no more negative comments from me :-)

I saw that you were having a problem with a bag to fit it Dave but on Sire's facebook page it says the bass comes with a gig bag?

[color=#141823]

[color=#9197A3]
[b][url="https://www.facebook.com/SireMarcusMillerSignatureBass?fref=nf"]Sire Guitars/Sire Marcus Miller Signature Model[/url][/b][/color][color=#9197A3]
[color=#7F7F7F][url="https://www.facebook.com/SireMarcusMillerSignatureBass/posts/1430828213874775"]3 February at 10:43[/url][/color] · [url="https://www.facebook.com/SireMarcusMillerSignatureBass#"]Edited[/url] · [/color][/color][color=#141823][size=3]

The prices on the Sire MM V-7 model.
V7 Alder 4 stirng $399, 5 string $499 V7 Ash 4 string $499, 5 string $599 And the price includes a gig bag.
Bone nut.
Carbon fiber rods in the 5 string models.[/size][/color]
[color=#141823]
[color=#9197A3]
[url="https://www.facebook.com/r.php?fbpage_id=1430242333933363&r=111"]Like[/url] · [url="https://www.facebook.com/r.php?fbpage_id=1430242333933363&r=111"]Comment[/url] · [url="https://www.facebook.com/SireMarcusMillerSignatureBass/posts/1430828213874775"]72[/url][/color][/color]

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1425237156' post='2705454']
Definitely no argument from me. I think my posts are coming across in the wrong way so no more negative comments from me
[/quote]

Don't worry, you're not putting me off or anything. ;) It's just that there's something else I need to buy first. :)

thanks Thunderbird.
I have emailed Mickey at Sire to see if it's possible to buy one of thier bags, but my issue is I want one with straps a bit higher up the neck. It's not just an issue getting one to fit, as my other bags do fit fine.
So I'm looking in to alternatives at the moment. Looking likely to get a Mono vertigo. The problem with the Mono bags is they don't recomend any bass over 3" deep, and the V7 is at least 3" by the looks of it (back to top of knobs). Still, the mono bags do offer a lot of protection so it's probalby not a big issue if I'm careful.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1425238385' post='2705481']
I have emailed Mickey at Sire to see if it's possible to buy one of thier bags, but my issue is I want one with straps a bit higher up the neck. It's not just an issue getting one to fit, as my other bags do fit fine. So I'm looking in to alternatives at the moment. Looking likely to get a Mono vertigo. The problem with the Mono bags is they don't recomend any bass over 3" deep, and the V7 is at least 3" by the looks of it (back to top of knobs). Still, the mono bags do offer a lot of protection so it's probalby not a big issue if I'm careful.
[/quote]

FWIW - I use a Mono Vertigo and, if I understand your preferences correctly, it won't be any different than many other gig-bags out there when it comes to getting off & on public transportation which I do all the time with mine. If you're going to flip for a Mono why not look into the GruvGear bag? It seems to be made primarily for low-slung useage from what I can tell. Either way it's a lotta money for a "cheap" bass IMHO.