Why become a member? ×

Your musical ambitions, plans & goals for 2015?

Guest Jecklin

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1419636768' post='2641576']
This year has been a bit slow musically. Playing with a great bunch of guys, but logistics dictate that we probably only meet once a month. I want to (finally) release a solo album, finish the album with Slander that we started this year, and get a Jazz duo/trio together with a local Jazz guitarist.

That's not too much to ask now, is it?
[/quote]

I sympathise 2014 had a poor start. The band I was in at the start of the year faded out, which was a shame. We seemed to be going somewhere. We had a local radio appearance in January and some nice gigs lined up-managed to stagger though a couple, It wasn't a nice experience as there is nothing worse that going into a gig under-rehearsed and lacking in confidence.
The some of the remaining members started another band that lasted for one gig and now the 3rd band is doing fine.

Edited by Pinball

Just so you guys have an idea on opportunities with bands, here are the only 3 current opportunities from Milwaukee Rocks;

[b]Bassist Wanted For Established Band[/b]

A bass player is wanted for an established band that plays in the Milwaukee and SE Wisconsin area. Some styles we cover include rock, pop. Fun and active band seeks someone who is reliable, and no drugs or drunks please. Good chemistry, enjoyable, fun. For more information, please email us!

[b]Original Country Band Looking For Bassist[/b]

Original serious country band looking for bass player. we will be playing out.

[b]Metal Band Seeks Bassist[/b]

We're a vocalist, guitarist, and drummer. Ages 30, 31, 31. We're looking for a bassist. You can check out Vocalist & Guitarists last project at *www.CrowningtheTyrant.com and the drummer's previous project on RevernNation searching for AWorldAblaze. Email for more info if interested.

* Their web-site shows 3 gigs for 2014 and nothing for 2015.

As you can see, not much out there.

Blue

Edited by blue

As my band of nearly 8 years has now finished (with a triumphant, sold-out final gig!), my next gig is NYE with a ...disco band! No idea if it will carry on - but if so, great! Have some jazz stuff in the pipeline also, but need to network more to get into something regular and paying.

Got involved in a 3 piece project with our drummer and his son's guitar teacher recently, doing originals for the first time in about 15 years so will be putting a lot of effort into that. The three of us, along with a keys player and a female vocalist we know, are also gonna form the basis of a new function/party type band, which will hopefully get some better paying gigs, not that I'm money driven but it would be nice to recoup some of the GAS outlay! The guitarist is very driven/focused, a bit of a taskmaster and tbh I think I need to work with someone like that at the moment, I've become a bit lazy with the getting gigs and getting out there recently, which probably stems from the pub rock covers band the drummer and myself are in. The 2 guitarists are quite limited ability wise but neither seems to want to improve themselves, which eventually gets you into the "what's the point" way of thinking. So having these other projects to focus on has come at the perfect time for me!

2015 will see the start of the third year of The Wirebirds and our second year with Jenn Haan. Hopefully I will be saying the same thing (with fourth and third years instead) this time next year as the chemistry is great at the moment. We played 36 gigs this year and hope to play more than that next year.

More gigs, more studio time, and more gigs are the plans for the coming year.

Had given up bands mid 2014 because of the usual band politics issues. Then approached from 2 guys who have been writing and recording all their own material. Auditioned and got it. Fair chuffed. Great natured and very easy to get on with personally.
Its an Anathema / Opeth / Floyd influenced originals Prog band and hoping to complete the line up early 2015 with addition of a drummer into same influences.
Auditioned a few but either not really committed to Prog or just not competent enough. Still looking tho.
Then start gigging.

Quite excited about it all to be honest.

Also getting my USA Ampeg SVT4 PRO converted from 110V to 230V in Jan. to save carrying an external transformer around. Its heavy enough as it is. Wish i had bought one of these yrs ago. Its exactly the sound i've been trying to get from other amps but not quite managed altho some excellent amps have been tried and came close.

Looking at taking up race cycling again after few yrs away but need to get a bit fitter at my age.

That's it for me.

Dave

With the Jetsonics probably 10 or so gigs for the year and another EP to record and release.
For the irst time I going multi band. I've got a very tasty project lined up with a name drummer and 3 other cracking musicians that will be very interesting if it comes off.
I might also have a little dabble in the covers arena as I've had an offer. It 'll be fun as long as I don't have to rehearse too often for it.
Looking forward to being busy.

1 - Have a laugh, playing music
2 - To complete my cover of Jeff Berlin's 'Dixie' - (main tune is 'there' but, from now on its awfully noodly and if I'm honest, its a bit 'up itself'). Move on to and 'get under the bonnet of' something else.
3 - Get the 'event band' to play some, Steve Morse / Dixie Dregs or more Zappa - takes them a while and there's a lot of work, but audiences love it.
4 - Possibly change out my Berg NV 1x15 for a multiple 10" speaker cab (3x10 or more)
5 - Get some pro live recordings of the event band - for possibe promo, but more to get a feeling for the majesty of the band in its current form.
6 - Get the band in general to put more production effort into to each gig.

Edited by No lust in Jazz

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1419853899' post='2643181']
I've got a very tasty project lined up with a name drummer and 3 other cracking musicians that will be very interesting if it comes off.
[/quote]

Best of luck with that, Ad. 2014 was the year I found out just how difficult it is to get a regular drummer who can actually drum!! :)

I'm hoping that 2015 will be the year that I finally decide to stop sitting on the fence & decide one way or another to give up music completely or not.

For years now I've been in a "it would be silly to stop as I've put so much effort & money into it blah blah blah" frame of mind, but the time I've been thinking that is now as long as the time I've spent playing & enjoying it.

A lot has changed for me this year, and I feel that 2015 will be a good year to have a thorough re-evaluation of my life. That will mean getting rid of a lot of useless baggage I've been hanging onto for years, and the whole music thing is something I'm pretty sure I need to let go.

As a relative newbie, to continue practicing and making the progress I have in the 12 months since I first picked up a bass and most importantly to start playing with other musicians. I am hooking up with a guitarist in the new year and hoping to persuade a drummer mate of mine to come out of retirement and join us and we will then see where that takes us.

Finish a thing.

Once upon a time (2008, I think) I joined a bunch of people to make an album in a month. An album each, I mean. One definition of an album is 28 minutes and there was 28 days in February, so we did that and it was fun. Since then, though, I just noodle about with an idea and then forget about it, never seeing through. I'll be using the BC compo comp to help me take an idea a little bit further.
I need to learn (a lot) more about mixing and mastering.
I'd also like to collaborate with someone, I think. I'd like to work with a singer but I don't know how to grow/find one of them.

So, any progress on any of that would be nice for 2015 :)