Why become a member? ×

Roger Waters...

wateroftyne

I've been listening a lot to the Dark Side of the Moon live recording that comes with the Immersion edition.

It's beautifully recorded and mixed. Roger's P sounds fantastic, and it brings home what a great player he really is. It's a masterclass in economy and it he shifts things along wonderfully.

Rog can't play? Dave overdubbed all his parts? Nah.

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1417623141' post='2622374']
It was the bass on Animals that made make start playing the instrument. Guess I owe him a nod of gratitude.
[/quote]
I learnt to play guitar by listening to and copying Animals - great album.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1417622684' post='2622367']
It's a masterclass in economy and it he shifts things along wonderfully.
[/quote]

+1 to this.
We've just put Young Lust in our set, really economical but works brilliantly, grooves whole track along and great fun to play.

Edited by Drax

Roger Waters is one of my heroes. Most Floyd tracks are a masterclass in taste and serving the song. When I think of Dark Side, I couldn't really hum you any of the basslines ( money excepted) but in that IS his mastery. I couldn't play that understated! I would stomp all over that album! yet Roger's lines are perfect for what the songs demand.

[quote name='Kirky' timestamp='1417623357' post='2622379']

I learnt to play guitar by listening to and copying Animals - great album.
[/quote]
I thought Animals was Gilmore on bass?

Brilliant playing on Pigs from that album whoever it was

The simplicity of Floyd's rhythm section is one of the band's main strengths. Nick Mason is one of the dullest drummers in living memory but it all just seems to work perfectly with Waters' writing. I suppose it all came from a time when bass in particular was largely ignored by the public.

[quote name='Drax' timestamp='1417623467' post='2622381']
+1 to this.
We've just put Young Lust in our set, really economical but works brilliantly, grooves whole track along and great fun to play.
[/quote]

I like the live version of Young Lust. Nothing too fancy, but right.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bWdWZLSTio[/media]

I recently joined a PF tribute, playing and singing; the bass line from Breathe has so many tiny differences, I was really surprised. Things got a lot simpler by The Wall, but then it's a very different feeling recording.

I had to laugh when Gilmour was interviewed on Later, Jools asked him if there was ever likely to be another Floyd album and he said 'Well there's only two of us left now' as though Waters had gone the same way as Wright...
Anyway, here he is getting all artsy on his Ric

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rU0zaHHM3xw

Edited by icastle
Link Fixed.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1417682443' post='2622914']
From 12 years ago: [url="http://www.pinkfloydfan.net/threads/gilmour-the-floyd-bassist.2238/"]http://www.pinkfloyd...d-bassist.2238/[/url]
[/quote]

Interesting to see that. Wonder if RW wrote the lines but couldn't execute them. You do notice that live, he often doesn't play the fills and incidentals..

[quote name='Japhet' timestamp='1417630415' post='2622470']
The simplicity of Floyd's rhythm section is one of the band's main strengths. Nick Mason is one of the dullest drummers in living memory but it all just seems to work perfectly with Waters' writing. I suppose it all came from a time when bass in particular was largely ignored by the public.
[/quote]
I get the impression Nick Mason played exactly what he was told to. I'm sure I remember a clip where he was slapped down by Waters for his playing being too flowery, or fancy.

[quote name='Annoying Twit' timestamp='1417631786' post='2622492']

I like the live version of Young Lust. Nothing too fancy, but right.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bWdWZLSTio[/media]
[/quote]

Listen/ watch 1:45......???? Overdubbed ? Or maybe just poor video editing ?
I love roger and floyd immensely and like most here have said its what inspired me to pick up a guitar/ bass.

Edited by Wonky2