Why become a member? ×

What is it about die hard MM owner's.?

bubinga5

i just don't get it.. its almost like a cult. anything that is said against Music Man is blaspheme. its very odd.. even Fender die hards don't do this.. I'm not going to give you a link to the thread for fear of reprisals. Does Ernie give out some sort of drugs with his basses that indoctrinates you.?

its actually quite annoying.

I kinda agree with you there bubinga, often thought the same sort of thing. Don't get me wrong either, I really like Musicman basses but they (fans) do seem to be more fervent!

Edited by 40hz

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1417567243' post='2621943']
i just don't get it.. its almost like a cult. anything that is said against Music Man is blaspheme. its very odd.. even Fender die hards don't do this.. I'm not going to give you a link to the thread for fear of reprisals. Does Ernie give out some sort of drugs with his basses that indoctrinates you.?

its actually quite annoying.
[/quote]
Bubinga - I sometimes take issue with people and am a Musicman fan and player - the problem I have is when people blame the bass when it is very likely the way they're either playing it, the way they've chosen to set it up (or someone else has) or the way they're Eq ing their amp or the bass - but insist its a design fault. I find I'm able to recreate the exact issue but don't see it as a design issue more a user limitation/issue. So yes, I have been known to argue with people over such things when I can be bothered!

I suppose it's not liking something you hold quite dearly slagged off, possibly unfairly and in a way to give the wrong impression. On the other hand if someone just doesn't like them then fine - their choice!

To use an analogy - if someone told me they thought front wheel drive cars burn front tyres at a ridiculous rate and they then tell me they turn off the traction control and spin the wheels all the time I might form a certain view!!!

Is it much worse than the cult of Rickenbacker; I can't say I've really noticed. To be prefectly honest I've never even picked up an MM so have absolutely nothing controversial to add - probably a hate crime in itself :unsure: .

I don't think MM players are any worse than anyone else... Everyone is far too sensitive about what others think of their gear choices. Who cares what anyone else thinks of your bass, you chose it and it's for you. People seem to need verification that they've made the correct choices by everyone else agreeing with them. I just don't get it.

I love the Wal sound and I couldn;t give a sh*t if I was the only player in the world that liked it... I would still like it... I don;t need everyone else to agree with me, in fact I couldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks.

Edited by CamdenRob

You are probably referring to the Ernie Ball official forum: I believe this kind of mechanism happens very easily in fora that are moderated by the company whose products are being discussed. Since the creators of the instruments are reading and moderating, users have a need to show themselves as "loyal customers" and supporters. My feeling is that, more or less subconsciously, there's a hope in the fan boys that their loyalty will be rewarded in some form, verbal or (keep dreaming) materially.
I see a bit of the same thing with Apple.

I do own and play an EB Stingray Classic 5 (though I prefer the sound of my 3 pre-EBs) and I love Apple products, but you won't see me wearing a tattoo with either logos anytime soon :D

Edited by Shedua511

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1417598900' post='2622029']
Seriously though, I play a Stingray and it sounds great but that's because I'm playing it and I am amazing.
[/quote]

haahaa love that!

I'm not sure where you got that impression bubinga5, I was just reading this BC thread and thinking to myself what a well balanced bunch we were on BC:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/225456-fender-precision-or-a-musicman-stingray/page__st__120

Not a hint of blasphemy and there's nothing wrong with loving or sticking up for your chosen "bass" .........whatever it is.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1417595855' post='2622000']
I don't think MM players are any worse than anyone else... Everyone is far too sensitive about what others think of their gear choices. Who cares what anyone else thinks of your bass, you chose it and it's for you. People seem to need verification that they've made the correct choices by everyone else agreeing with them. I just don't get it.

I love the Wal sound and I couldn;t give a sh*t if I was the only player in the world that liked it... I would still like it... I don;t need everyone else to agree with me, in fact I couldn't give a toss what anyone else thinks.
[/quote]

But they might not employ you because of it... and your refusal to accept that 101 people or whatever can't ALL be wrong.
I get this swimming against the tide thing..and can quite embrace it from time to time, but MM does rather attract guys who get it wrong
a lot and they are the first to ask how to fix it....IME. For some reason, they tend to say they don't understand amps... but if the don't understand the
EQ on the amp, they aren't going to get to understand it on the bass either. I've even known them to take a pic of their settings on the amp so
they can return to a 'default' mode. As it happens the guys who do this have MM basses, all play the same way and even use the same amp,
saying it is a classic sound...but they don't actually know how to get that sound..
It is all muddled thinking to me and it is probably unfair to single out MM... but that is the way it goes around here.

But... you ( anyone ) might think you have a great sound, but if nobody else does, I'd take note of that hint myself...

It can be the same with gtrs.... they have their pre-determined version of bass players...and they might just want someone who
sits there and doesn't rock THEIR boat....which is a very selfish way to go about and play music, IMO.

Haha taking a photo of the amp settings is hilarious. Thanks for brightening up my day.

Perhaps musicians all have the biggest egos and are a sensitive bunch? There are some who will only play a Fender through an Ampeg and disdainfully look on those who do not; never bumped into a MM die-hard myself though.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1417595855' post='2622000']
People seem to need verification that they've made the correct choices by everyone else agreeing with them.
[/quote]

I can't agree with that. :mellow:

[quote name='waynepunkdude' timestamp='1417598900' post='2622029']
I play a Stingray and it sounds great but that's because I'm playing it and I am amazing.
[/quote]

And there you have it. :)

I've only found the ebmm forum members to be overly touchy really and I suspect that goes for any forum for a specific brand of anything? I must admit ive never seen a weak G on one which woukd be odd if its anything other than some form of eq thing, not necessarily the users fault as it could just be a compatability issue or something, I'm still struggling to get what I want from my Jazz but I know its not a faulty bass.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417604628' post='2622095']
I've only found the ebmm forum members to be overly touchy really and I suspect that goes for any forum for a specific brand of anything? I must admit ive never seen a weak G on one which woukd be odd if its anything other than some form of eq thing, not necessarily the users fault as it could just be a compatability issue or something, I'm still struggling to get what I want from my Jazz but I know its not a faulty bass.
[/quote]

You could pass your jazz to me. I'm not picky with brands, as long as it plays good! :lol:

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1417607022' post='2622125']
It's also interesting that these MM lovers claim it's not a cult but they all have a 'Musicman', 'stingray' or other related words in their basschat member names :-P

The illu[b]MM[/b]inati!!
[/quote]

That is just silly!

Pi[b]MM[/b]ball

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1417600693' post='2622044']
It can be the same with gtrs.... they have their pre-determined version of bass players...and they might just want someone who
sits there and doesn't rock THEIR boat....which is a very selfish way to go about and play music, IMO.
[/quote]

If your not selfish with your tone (and the basslines you want to play) then you will be walked all over and you'll end up playing roots with a dull thudy tone just like everyone else...

if I was being payed to play then obviously I'd play and sound however I was expected to sound.. but I'm not... I'm playing originals for fun and its no fun for me if someone else is dictating how they want my bass to sound.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1417612649' post='2622206']
If your not selfish with your tone (and the basslines you want to play) then you will be walked all over and you'll end up playing roots with a dull thudy tone just like everyone else...

if I was being payed to play then obviously I'd play and sound however I was expected to sound.. but I'm not... I'm playing originals for fun and its no fun for me if someone else is dictating how they want my bass to sound.
[/quote]

The point is that if you ( anyone ) thinks they sounds and play great and no one, but no one is agreeing, then the chances are that someone is on the wrong track.
It is important for people to tell you that they like this or that from time to time..even if you don't put that much store in their opnion.
It just firms up a reference of sound or style of play.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1417612649' post='2622206']
[/quote]
I've been listening to the isolated bass track thread and dull thuddy tone describes the bass contribution to some very fine pieces of music.

Edited by No lust in Jazz

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1417567243' post='2621943'] I'm not going to give you a link to the thread for fear of reprisals.[/quote]

Reprisals! oh come on! :lol:

All brands have their fanboys/die hards who won't entertain negative comments about their chosen brand. I really don't think there are many
of those types on bass chat. Best keep it quiet though, these "reprisals" sound worrying!

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1417604628' post='2622095']
[/quote]

Stick with the Jazz... :)
It'll come good.