Why become a member? ×

Would you be happy for Daltrey to take the stage

timmo

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1417524905' post='2621289']
Maybe Daltrey's car breaks down outside the Barge n Barrel, Tipton on the second Tuesday in the month. He comes in to get a drink while he's waiting for the RAC, and guess what.. we're playing! So up he gets for a bit of a jam. It could happen!! :lol:
[/quote]

Something like this happened at a blues jam night in Nottm a year or two back (I wasn't there, the landlord told me about it). A band was on at Rock City but arrived in town a day or two early, so on the night before the gig they dropped in at this little place for a jam. The band contained ex memebrs of Thin Lizzy, The Almighty and INXS. People were coming in and doing a double-take as Scott Gorham was stood on stage jamming some blues...

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1417535233' post='2621462']
Something like this happened at a blues jam night in Nottm a year or two back (I wasn't there, the landlord told me about it). A band was on at Rock City but arrived in town a day or two early, so on the night before the gig they dropped in at this little place for a jam. The band contained ex memebrs of Thin Lizzy, The Almighty and INXS. People were coming in and doing a double-take as Scott Gorham was stood on stage jamming some blues...
[/quote]

Blimey! I thought I was making up something preposperous! :o

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1417513832' post='2621062']
his voice well lets put it kindly, its gone.
[/quote]It wasn't when I saw him last February, for the first hour anyway. He can't maintain full tilt for a two hour concert, so he does have to back off after a bit. But he still managed to hit it all at the end of the night with [i]Won't Get Fooled Again, [/i]scream and all. I've seen every major act over the last 50 years, and no doubt [i]The Who [/i]is the best band ever. No offense to Mick and Keith. :happy:

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1417513372' post='2621054']
Would you be happy , if he took the stage when you were playing.

[url="http://www.itv.com/news/2014-12-01/rock-legend-roger-daltrey-surprises-newlyweds-with-impromptu-performance-at-their-reception/"]http://www.itv.com/n...heir-reception/[/url]
[/quote]
TOTALLY!!!! :D

Only 2 things matter if your being paid to do the gig

1. Do the clients want it to happen, clearly yes in this case

2. Can the band play it or as in this case , busk it to a good enough standard.

I am now dreaming of Chesney Hawkes being at the next hotel I gig at, that would be fun (im not kidding either)

Jings!
what a load of moaning minis!
The Who were staying at Mar Hall and relaxing next door.
They heard the band and Daltrey had a wee listen. After a quick talk, everyone agreed to a busk of 'Can't Explain.'
Everyone happy and kudos to the bass player who really knew what he was doing.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1417646126' post='2622741']
I wouldn't imagine I'd be too happy - I don't think he'd know our stuff.
[/quote]

Likewise, I don't how I'd react if I was sitting in the stalls at the Royal Opera House and heard the announcement that due to the indisposition of Nina Stemme, the role of Isolde in tonight's performance will be sung by Mr Roger Daltrey...

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1417688992' post='2623003']
....Likewise, I don't how I'd react if I was sitting in the stalls at the Royal Opera House and heard the announcement that due to the indisposition of Nina Stemme, the role of Isolde in tonight's performance will be sung by Mr Roger Daltrey....
[/quote]

But a better comparison would be that you were sitting in the stalls of an am-dram production of Tristan und Isolde and Nina Stemme walked in and asked if she could do an aria. Of course you'd say yes, wouldn't you?

I doubt as many would be slagging her off for doing that as are giving RD a bad time here.

This thread has a very disappointing edge to it.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1417694900' post='2623089']
But a better comparison would be that you were sitting in the stalls of an am-dram production of Tristan und Isolde and Nina Stemme walked in and asked if she could do an aria. Of course you'd say yes, wouldn't you?

I doubt as many would be slagging her off for doing that as are giving RD a bad time here.

[/quote]

Just expanding on paul_5's observation - a lighthearted one, I believe - that RD wouldn't be appropriate for all occasions.

In the original context, then yes all the way. Dunno why anyone's suggesting otherwise.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1417694900' post='2623089']

[/quote]
Can't help but somewhat agree with your sentiment ...

It reminds me of a story that I read where a certain Derek Forbes was in the audience of a Simple Minds tribute band and got on stage for a song or two. I don't think I would've minded too much, mind you I'd have given him hell if he'd dinged my bass!

Edit: Here's a clip of it -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziMxr5HEL28&feature=youtube_gdata_playert

Edited by darkandrew

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1417731253' post='2623636']
Could have been worse. I suspect everyone has seen this Iron maiden clip:

http://youtu.be/knC743Nds4Q
[/quote]

No, I hadn't seen that one. Actually the older I get, the more I like Iron Maiden - I might have to go and buy one of their CDs.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1417741178' post='2623730']

No, I hadn't seen that one. Actually the older I get, the more I like Iron Maiden - I might have to go and buy one of their CDs.
[/quote]
Iron Maiden are another band who are happy to get up and play with their own tribute acts!

To answer the OP, I would be delighted for Roger Daltrey to get up on stage with a band I was in, preferably playing Won't Get Fooled Again as that is the only Who song that I actually know...!