Why become a member? ×

Would you be happy for Daltrey to take the stage

timmo

It seems that Roger Daltrey was staying at a hotel where a wedding was taking place, and took the stage with the wedding band. Would you be happy , if he took the stage when you were playing.

http://www.itv.com/news/2014-12-01/rock-legend-roger-daltrey-surprises-newlyweds-with-impromptu-performance-at-their-reception/

Two sides to this, one shifting the keys of the who songs down would be a pain as his voice well lets put it kindly, its gone.
Then again, the pictures presuming the crowd helped out would help put the price and fame of your band up in the booking stakes.
So yes, a win win.

I would be delighted to welcome him to the stage, maximise the opportunity for my band and bore the teats off people for decades to come with the story. Which I'm guessing is what'll happen with these lucky so-and-sos, and good luck to them.

Edited by neepheid

Personally, i would`ve loved it if hew was at my wedding singing a song, but i am a fan. I don`t like stuff like Olly Murs, but i would let him sing a song. It is those things that make the wedding different to the norm. Also if i was in the band, i would be happy to have someone famous sing a number.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1417514660' post='2621083']
It was my understanding from the news that the happy couple are actually fans ?

I'd tell him to get stuffed if it was my wedding ...
[/quote]

The question wasn't "if it was your wedding", Mr. Grumpy Pants ;) It was "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Would you be happy if he took the stage when you were playing." i.e. you are playing with the band when the situation arises. You are not getting married in this hypothetical situation.[/font][/color]

As a wedding band you are there for the couple and their guests. If they are fans and want Daltrey to do a number and he's happy doing it then you do it. I'd be happy doing anything within reason that makes it a special day for the people paying my wages.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1417515874' post='2621107']

The question wasn't "if it was your wedding", Mr. Grumpy Pants ;) It was "[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Would you be happy if he took the stage when you were playing." i.e. you are playing with the band when the situation arises. You are not getting married in this hypothetical situation.[/font][/color]
[/quote]
Indeed, but a now deleted post (grangur?) opined about "what the happy couple thought of this". I happened to know and posted to this effect. I then postulated about how I would feel about this event should it occur to me. All relevant and on-topic given context at the time

Edited by Geek99

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1417518016' post='2621151']
Indeed, but a now deleted post (grangur?) opined about "what the happy couple thought of this". I happened to know and posted to this effect. I then postulated about how I would feel about this event should it occur to me. All relevant and on-topic given context at the time
[/quote]Is it just the case that it is Roger Daltrey that you would object to, or would you draw the line at any famous singer? Not a big fan of Tom Jones, but i reckon Delilah, or some such singalong song, would be superb, if he was to happen to take the stage for a one off.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1417513372' post='2621054']
Would you be happy , if he took the stage when you were playing.
[/quote]
[quote name='cybertect' timestamp='1417519684' post='2621193']
Hell, yeah! :party:
[/quote]

+1. But then The Who are probably my favourite band, so I'd be in a state of delirious fanboy-ism if Daltrey were just in the same room while I was playing.

Even if you don't like him or his music - 10 minutes of annoyance = a shitload of free publicity for your band.

Collect all your mates phone footage and take it to your local rag to explain how awesome it was even if you didn't think it was. They run a local interest story on a slow news day and people discover your band.

Could get 6 months of work out of a little story like that for zero advertising spend.

[quote name='timmo' timestamp='1417518321' post='2621158']
Is it just the case that it is Roger Daltrey that you would object to, or would you draw the line at any famous singer? Not a big fan of Tom Jones, but i reckon Delilah, or some such singalong song, would be superb, if he was to happen to take the stage for a one off.
[/quote]
In the band, probably happy for the exposure for reasons others give
My wedding ? Probably not as I just can't stand roger daltrey

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1417520383' post='2621209']
+1. But then The Who are probably my favourite band, so I'd be in a state of delirious fanboy-ism if Daltrey were just in the same room while I was playing.
[/quote]

Pretty much this. I might feel slightly sorry for our own singer though, if she was standing around like a bit of a spare part while Daltrey did his stuff.
But then she could do a few BVs and bang a tambourine or something.

Oh yes, I can see this coming together quite nicely in this hypothetical situation. It wouldn't be at a wedding though, as we don't do those. Maybe Daltrey's car breaks down outside the Barge n Barrel, Tipton on the second Tuesday in the month. He comes in to get a drink while he's waiting for the RAC, and guess what.. we're playing! So up he gets for a bit of a jam. It could happen!! :lol:

I think it is great that he did it... probably made a lot of people's day.
He seemed to do it with good grace...
I can't see the problem... imagine what sort of stuff might have been made
of it if he'd declined..
Just accept it for what it is... Good on him, in my book.

And no, I am not a Who fan, fwiw...