Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show - 7 & 8 March 2015

bassguitarshow

[font="Calibri"][size="3"][color="#000000"]Sadly I was in and out in a rather expensive half hour. Probably my fault for not reading up enough on what it was going to be like, but I came to check out some basses and what with the racket from the amp stands, it was impossible to get any idea of what they sounded like even through close-back headphones.[/color][/size][/font]

Just back from the show and my feet are killing me - seems like I spent most of the day queueing - huge queues to get tickets for Mark King (who was excellent despite the terrible innuendos) - then further queues to actually get in to see him, queued to get a signature - couldn't be ar5ed in the end though I know that several BCers could and did. Further queues to get tickets for Doug Wimbish and Jah Wobble - I gave up in the end!!

Good to see some old faces - many thanks to Molan and the Bass Gear guys for acting as the unofficial meeting place and helping us out. Looking forward to seeing Sylvia's photo blog.

I do have a criticism about the cost of refreshments once in - £9.10 for 3x coffees and a bottle of pop - I can't see how the organisers can justify this especially as they must have sold hundreds ( I know, I queued for 15 mins!!).

Hope everybody else had a good time.

I enjoyed a pleasant stroll around and bought a nice handmade strap. I didn't see any other BCers i knew - perhaps you were all in the live sessions?

Highlights for me were the performances on the Elixir stand - hats off to them for consistent good stuff each year - esp. Yolanda Charles, Dean Marks & Mike Mondesir.

For me, there were less gear highlights than before but I enjoyed looking at the Sadowsky's and meeting the man himself who was cool. The stand with double basses (Thomas Martin I think) was cool too with live bass building to watch.

It seemed well attended to me but I prefered the mix of guests and gear last year, particularly Paul Turner & Lee Sklar.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1425756264' post='2710466']
Had a great time but totally failed to say hello to any BCers except Eude, ead, MoJoKe and
Skelf, sorry everyone!
[/quote]

What is it with bass players being so shy? I only spoke to people I already knew. Despite wandering about flaunting me lanyard (oo er) no one came up and said hi. :-(

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1425758413' post='2710509']

What is it with bass players being so shy? I only spoke to people I already knew. Despite wandering about flaunting me lanyard (oo er) no one came up and said hi. :-(
[/quote]

Sorry :( I wasn't being shy, I was just being sh*t and plain forgot to take my lanyard or look out for anyone :(

Remember all the complaining about slapping at the show?

I walk in and 7 seconds in, first thing I hear is slapping. Actually laughed out loud to myself, like an insane person.

Funny how with all the moaning on this thread I expected it to be dull, half- empty and miserable, exhibitors disappointed and tumble-weed bouncing off turned off amps. It was heaving with people, stupidly loud, with a LOT of happy bass faces. I arrived at 11:30ish and stayed until the very end.

I tried out some basses that will give me wet dreams for months to come. I tried out some basses I expected to be amazing and they left me indifferent or even disappointed after all the hype I read about them online.

Bottom line is - if you play bass and can make it to the show, DO IT. Stop complaining about noise or slapping and try to get out of the day as much as possible. I did and strongly encourage anyone who has doubts.

I wasn't planning on being there this year, but a friend sorted a guest space for me.
The main problem this year for me ws the sheer volume. It was offensive in the extreme.
There was supposed to be a 50 minute noisy period, and 45 minute quiet spell. No one except those using headphone rigs took any notice whatsoever.

I did get to spend some time with some interesting gear though- mainly pedals ;) ( and through headphones!)
The new boss bass driver has some potential, and I don't feel the vids from namm do it justice.
The hookers green bass machine sounded great too!
I shall be returning to the shop to try these two and some others too, in a more 'friendly' environment.

I got to meet stu Hamm and Doug wimbish too :)

Excellent time today. Thanks to everyone that dropped by. Found the volume at my end of the hall to be pretty good I think the volume was higher at the other end according to people I spoke to. Place was really busy despite the negative comments which was very encouraging for tomorrow and future shows.

Fantastic day - much better than the first two (skipped last year due to 2 being a carbon-copy of 1). It was still a little samey but there was some cracking gear on display. How I didn't come home with an Eve bass is beyond me.

Also met BC'er Big Rob in the queue for MK's signing on the Status stand which was really fortuitous. Thoroughly nice chap!

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1425766220' post='2710581']
Excellent time today. Thanks to everyone that dropped by. Found the volume at my end of the hall to be pretty good I think the volume was higher at the other end according to people I spoke to. Place was really busy despite the negative comments which was very encouraging for tomorrow and future shows.
[/quote]

Good stuff - I always think that the exhibitors are in a win or lose situation depending upon their placement. Sounds like you bagged a good spot if the volume was low! :)

I have just got home. It was a good day. I watched some of Doug Wimbish. I wasn`t that impressed really. He seemed to be playing his bass like a guitar. Jah Wobble was good. I watched about 20 minures of Divinity Roxx. I didn`t think i would like her stuff, but she knows how to play bass. Probably the highlight, as i never expected her to be so good.
Quite disappointing in the fact that there were 3 left handers that i saw.A rather nice fretless 5 string Rikkers, a Sandberg, and a hofner. I had to walk away from the Hofner. It was a good deal, but still couldn`t stretch to £1500. After having a good chat with Mark Gooday, i will definately be getting an Ashdown CTM-15

I enjoyed it - annoyingly I had to leabe by 2:30 as had to get back for a gig this eve, but for the time I was there, yeah, was good. Tried out some nice gear, bought a couple of tee- shirts, and saw a few people I`ve not seen for a while, so all good.

I am now in the position of having a spare ticket for today. I should arrive around 10:00. First PM can have this without charge.

Don't panic if I am slow responding. I have a long journey with poor signal.

Edited by Bobthedog

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1425779006' post='2710665']

What a great idea for a programme - Shy or Sh[size=3]l[/size]t? Hosted by Bruce Forsythe and Christina Aguilera. TV gold!
[/quote]

I wouldn't go on it though, too shy :D