Why become a member? ×

London Bass Guitar Show - 7 & 8 March 2015

bassguitarshow

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1424771983' post='2700150']
I'd just like to see some more bassists from bands tell us about their approach to songs. Why are there no guys like Cass Lewis, Michael McKeegan, Duff, Nicky Wire, Jason Newsted etc. If I have to hear Stu Hamm do that country and western tap thing he ALWAYS puts in his solos for the last 30 years I'm going to lose my mind! (Although I will admit to learning it!)
[/quote]

You're missing my point, you think that Hamm has never written a song, or played a bassline on a pop song?
Ask him about it, I'm almost certain that he'd prefer to answer that than some kid who asks 'how do you tap metal?'

Si

If you have not seen Jah Wobble you are in for a treat.

I have never understood bass players that assume because someone has great technique and can play at a million miles an hour that they also can't groove or play in the context of a song and support the song just makes no sense to me.

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1424775176' post='2700222']
I have never understood bass players that assume because someone has great technique and can play at a million miles an hour that they also can't groove or play in the context of a song and support the song just makes no sense to me.
[/quote]

Maybe because they are always expected to do the former and never get the chance to demonstrate the latter..? :)

I always assumed they where more than capable of both wither I had seen it or not. When you have that kind of facility on a bass I am sure the ability to play what is regarded as normal bass I am sure they can all manage. However getting a profile does require a degree of showing of which is fine with me. If I could play like Billy I am sure I would.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1424775392' post='2700226']

Maybe because they are always expected to do the former and never get the chance to demonstrate the latter..? :)
[/quote]

I once saw Vic Wooten backing Bootsy and he just sat back and kept a really tight groove going. No slapping, tapping, popping, clever chordal stuff etc, just a deep low groove - sounded great and just perfect for the gig!

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1424775176' post='2700222']

[/quote]

I assumed no such thing. I just said I don't like show off bass players.

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1424774706' post='2700212']
You're missing my point, you think that Hamm has never written a song, or played a bassline on a pop song?

Si
[/quote]

Again, same thing. Where did I say he can't groove? I just don't like show off....... oh forget it! You're right I'm wrong. There, happy? Sorry all for having an opinion that isn't the same as yours.

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1424780251' post='2700310']

Again, same thing. Where did I say he can't groove? I just don't like show off....... oh forget it! You're right I'm wrong. There, happy? Sorry all for having an opinion that isn't the same as yours.
[/quote]

Was not directed at you more a general comment on the subject which I have heard many times.
But I guess bass shows are not for you then.

[quote name='Bassjon' timestamp='1424780251' post='2700310']

[/quote]

Certainly not trying to state that i'm right and you're wrong, would never want anyone to think that.
I'm simply struggling to understand the thinking behind not liking 'show off bassists' (whatever that means, obviously it's subjective though), but leaving your conclusion of them there, without considering asking them about the other side of what they do given the opportunity of the show, no malicious meant, no stress.
It'd be great to have lots and lots of players at the event, but the reality is there's a few spaces I guess. Maybe next year for the guys you mention :)
I'd personally love to see Pino and Justin Chancellor, but hey, we can but hope ;)

Si

Question for Molan really...Will Bass Gear allow BC to share their stand same as last year?? As a focal point it made it easy to meet up with faces that we know...in fact haven't read anything so far to say that there will be a BC presense at all. No definitive list yet as to who's going when either. I'm hoping to be going on Saturday.

Can we start a list?? Usual thing...copy and paste and add your name.

[b][u]Saturday[/u][/b]
The Greek

[b][u]Sunday[/u][/b]

Edited by TheGreek

[b][u]Saturday[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Greek[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Timmo[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]BassAgent (w/ Fender '66 Jazz)[/font][/color]

[b][u]Sunday[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Bobthedog[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]obbm [/font][/color]

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1424817643' post='2700916']
Obbm could you wing past my stand there is a cable I need made up specifically for a bass in the works.
Cheers
Alan
[/quote]

Of course Alan. Always enjoy a chat.

[b][u]Saturday[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]BassAgent (w/ Fender '66 Jazz)[/font][/color]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]BruceBass3901[/font][/color]

[b][u]Sunday[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]obbm [/font][/color]

I'll be with a fresh sleeve tattoo started, so I'll be wearing a vest.......sorry ;)

[b][u]Saturday[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sibob[/font][/color]

[b][u]Sunday[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]obbm[/font][/color]

I may put in an apperance on the Saturday as Mrs C is off to air her indignation at a protest against something or other in parliment square... Think I'll bring my bass and try out a few pedals etc just for fun :)

As a side note, anyone attending on Sunday I'd advise against having a roast in the pub around the corner... last years offering contained the worlds hardest ever parsnips... :mellow:

Edited by CamdenRob

Let's update that list, then:

[b][u]Saturday[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Sibob[/font][/color]
CamdenRob [?]
Bluejay

[b][u]Sunday[/u][/b]
[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]obbm[/font][/color]
Bluejay