Why become a member? ×

How to reduce bass vibrations

Evil Undead

Hey all

I don't know if it's possible, but I'd like to play bass through my amp a bit more at home. Trouble is, I'm in a top floor flat and don't want to annoy the neighbours.

Is there any way of reducing or eliminating the sound transfer into the lower flats? Something I can put under the amp perhaps.

Thanks in advance :)

Unfortunately the nature of sound (especially low-frequency sound) is such that you won't avoid shaking the rafters at any meaningful (i.e. fun) volume levels. What are the people like who live below you? Do you know when they're out? If so you could make a racket then. :)

You could try putting a couple of carpet off-cuts underneath the amp?
Maybe take a peek in a local carpet shop's skip, round the back?
.... one of those old carpet sample book type things might be a good idea....

I know what you mean - Just playing my DB late at night, unamplified
It's quiet everywhere else - and the sound of bass really can carry.....

If there's a rehearsal room nearby, you could hire a room for an hour or two and fill your boots. :) Or... (if my experience is anything to go by) join any band and rehearse on a regular basis - don't worry, they won't have the slightest intention of doing any gigs whatsoever! ;)

Edited by discreet

If the amp (combo..?) has a carrying handle at the top, you could suspend it from a hook or similar from the ceiling. A bungee (Sandow...) would be best. The airborne sound waves will still carry, but they'll be just abut zero mechanical transmission through the building. Cheap and cheerful; not the most sophisticated solution, but you'll have a hard job doing better, unless you use headphones.
Hope this helps.

[quote name='IzzyT2807' timestamp='1412691108' post='2571062']
Don't suppose headphones are an option ?
[/quote]

This.

Bass frequencies are the 'juggernaut' of sound waves - they are virtually unstoppable unless you spend a lot of time and/or money in trying to deter them travelling through walls, floors, etc.

You can lift your speaker cab off the floor (using a rubber/foam pad) but the difference it'll make will be minuscule.

The only sure-fire way to avoid rattling your downstairs neighbours light fittings is to use headphones or play at low volume. Neither are as much fun as pushing some air through a cab, but they're 100% more sociable :)

Years ago a guitarist I knew built a "stand" using cardboard tubes from the local carpet shop - stood the tubes on their ends and sat his amp on top of these. He claimed that with a smaller area actually touching the floor less sound was being transmitted through the floor. I never bothered to check this as most of my neighbours were rrrrses - especially the former saxophonist who used to complain about everything including a fan being left on overnight...

I reckon the best solution is going to be headphones though..

Douglas, that's a pretty good idea, I hadn't even considered that. But, I don't think the landlord or letting agent would be happy with the solution :D maybe I'll give it a go if and when I own my own place :)

I do use headphones 99% of the time - I wasn't very clear when I said play through my amp, I meant through speakers... my bad. I don't mind using headphones, but there is just a little bit more awesome when playing loud through a cab. I don't know what it is, but I just enjoy it that little bit more.

I might look into the hiring a rehearsal room option, it's a good idea. I'll see what the rates are like locally

I have tried putting the amp on my bed, but it still seems to reverberate all around the place. I think that's the best I'm going to be able to do for the moment.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1412686704' post='2571013']
Is there any way of reducing or eliminating the sound transfer into the lower flats? Something I can put under the amp perhaps.
[/quote]

play geeetar :P

on a serious note on the mattress of bed or sofa cushions seems to isolate it quite nicely

hope this helps

You can feed from an amp to a home-stereo, but you will need a tech to install a phono/jack socket from your preamp chassis to act as a 'line out' facility (if you don't have one already) - not an expensive or difficult job. If you already have effects send/return, you should be able to feed the 'send' line to your home stereo 'aux' input. :)

I sometimes run my bass through my audio interface (Focusrite Forte) into my studio monitors (M-audio BX5a Deluxe). It makes the bass sound more like a hi-fi bass than an amplified bass so there are fewer low end bass frequencies flying around. It's about as a loud as playing any music through the speakers. Although that doesn't help if you don't have any studio monitors, or an audio interface...

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1412712323' post='2571312']
Years ago a guitarist I knew built a "stand" using cardboard tubes from the local carpet shop - stood the tubes on their ends and sat his amp on top of these. He claimed that with a smaller area actually touching the floor less sound was being transmitted through the floor. ......
[/quote]
[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1413103616' post='2574848']
Put the amp on the sofa...

[/quote]

TheGreek's solution is a good idea, and yes, if there's less surface area in contact with the floor
It will help reduce those low end frequencies travelling through the building

tonyquipment's solution is another good one
BUT - make sure any fans & vents aren't blocked by the sofa or cushions
Otherwise you run the risk of overheating!

At home, I tend to use my electroacoustic bass, unplugged
It's plenty loud enough to jam along with CD's / MP3's
and general practicing

I know my neighbour can't hear that at all

Cheers
Marc