Why become a member? ×

Do the big name acts make cock-ups like us mortals?

leschirons

Last time I saw Walter Trout, he decided to go off the set list and play anything he felt like. It was ok until he got to "Sitting on Top of the World", and the bass player had no idea how to play it. I felt sorry for the guy, it was just pointlessly embarrassing.

It happens in classical too. There was a proms concert where Simon Rattle stopped the Berlin Philharmonic 4 bars into "The Rite of Spring" and made them start it again.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1412580681' post='2569995']
Made a few cock ups in my gig Saturday night on bass but my singing was okay.....i was thinking everyone heard but infact they probably didn't as the feedback we got was great Strange innit
[/quote]

Not really - no-one listens to the bass anyway. Not even the band. :D

I'm sure on the mamas and papas 'I saw her again' where one of them comes in early, stops and then comes back in again on time toward the end of the song can't have been intentional but they left it in. Wouldn't seem the same without it now.

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1412587256' post='2570082']
No one mentioned Paul McCartney's balls up at the olympic opening ceremony........It's ok Macca it's one of your most famous songs & no one was watching really mate
***pats him on his back***
sniggers
[/quote]

Out of scope, no..? 'Big names', fumps, 'big names'. Read the title. :rolleyes:[size=4] [/size]

Saw YES in glasgow around 10 years ago totally screw up the intro to Ritual. Anderson didn't have a clue where they were so he stopped them and made them start the song again.
And around the same time frame Nazereth had to stop halfway through the first song at a gig in edinburgh cos Lee agnew's bass pedal had broken. Took about 15 minutes to fix / find a replacement.

I remember Eric Clapton fluffing the crescendo bit in the guitar solo to Layla on (I think) the Princes Trust Rock Gala dvd from 1988. [I don't have headphones in the office atm so will have to post the time when it happens after I get home.]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUHY3Jk_aFc[/media]

I like the mistakes in most live performances, it reminds me that we're all human.

I saw Little Britain many years ago and they were actively trying to put each other off by improvising unexpectedly. When it worked, it was hilarious.

The Pythons made boo boos at the O2...John Cleese couldn't stop himself corpsing during the Penguin TV sketch and Michael Palin would try to adlib during the cheese shop sketch in order to put him off.

In both cases, the mistakes were the best bit.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1412587253' post='2570081']
I'm sure on the mamas and papas 'I saw her again' where one of them comes in early, stops and then comes back in again on time toward the end of the song can't have been intentional but they left it in. Wouldn't seem the same without it now.
[/quote]

Ah yes, I've noticed that. A similar one is on 'Four and Twenty' on CSNY's Deja Vu album. Steven Stills sort of gulps in the middle of singing at one point. I've wondered whether that was actually unintended, but they left it in because it added to the emotional effect.

[quote name='Chrismanbass' timestamp='1412601573' post='2570245']
...duck dunn continues playing the verse groove for the first bar or so of the chorus...
[/quote]

Used to do this in a covers band and insisted on playing it with the mistake. That's how tragic I am.
You've got to admit that Duck recovers pretty bloody quickly, though. Class.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1412601717' post='2570248']
Used to do this in a covers band and insisted on playing it with the mistake. That's how tragic I am.
You've got to admit that Duck recovers pretty bloody quickly, though. Class.
[/quote]

Same with me Mark, I do it most times we play this number. Not sure why, as no one ever notices :D

They don't come much bigger than Led Zeppelin: I saw their O2 show in 2007 (I was pretty much the most excited person in the world) and they royally messed up Dazed And Confused, the part where the extended improvisation winds back into the main riff near the end. Jason Bonham cocked up the timing of the stop-start bit was and it was a massive, obvious howler. But they just ploughed through.

I felt sorry for him: once in a lifetime opportunity, filling your dad's shoes and you balls up something pretty basic. He was otherwise pretty good.

I got the DVD of the show and listened with interest - they just fudge it by fading in and out to cover the mistake in a way that's pretty obvious if you know what to listen for.

M

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFdas-kMF74[/media]

The classic Alan Perry/William Gardner Orchestra recording of "Sailing By", as used by BBC radio for their late night shipping forecast, contains a fairly formidable bassfail -- a very [i]very[/i] bum note at 1:54, followed by a bar of "oh god, where am I?" chart-searching silence, and then back on the money.
Once you know it's there, you're listening for it every time.

I was at an Indigo Girls gig in The Queens Hall in Edinburgh many years ago.
Amy Ray started a very strident, upbeat intro to a song on her mandolin.
She stepped up to the mic to sing and…….nothing.
She closed her eyes, screwed up her face and stood quite still and silent, like she was waiting for inspiration. You could just imagine the expletives running around her head.
Emily Saliers leaned across and whispered something in her ear.
Amy opened her eyes, turned imperceptibly towards her, smiled and nodded.

She started again, this time with no problem, finished the song and then had a good laugh about it.
Just goes to show it happens to even the best.

I think anyone who sings in public has had the same experience at one time or other.
What usually happens, to me anyway, when you can’t remember the first line of a song, is your mind is a complete blank until about three milli-seconds before you start to sing then the lyric pops into your head.

Well, mostly it does.

I remember seeing Trevor Bolder play with Uriah Heep at Glasgow and during a solo spot he tripped backwards on his lead and landed on his ass but didn't miss a beat. That's professionalism.
Or was it pre-recorded ??? Naw don't waste the memory for me.
To be fair you could hear the strings vibrate as he landed LOL

Dave

• 1 year later...